Pro Tools Mouse over Editing

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

i am monster face
buyin' gear

Pro Tools Mouse over Editing

Post by i am monster face » Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:00 pm

Sorry if this has already been posted...

For those of you who also post on the DUC, you will know about this. Check this out...

http://shup.com/Shup/8010/MOQT.mov

Oh my god. That's incredible.

I don't know if some other program has this already...but I don't care. That would increase my work flow to insane-o levels. here's the thread it came from.
http://duc.digidesign.com/showflat.php? ... art=1&vc=1

The wonderful Shan from the duc is writing a program where you mouse over a region, hit a key, and it edits the part. He's writing it for PTLE and says he'll be writing for HD later. It's pretty cool looking.

Ian Aeillo
Last edited by i am monster face on Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

leigh
carpal tunnel

Post by leigh » Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:42 am

I'll be curious to see how he's doing it (programming key macros somewhere I'm guessing)...

By the way, you might get more people looking at this thread here if you add "...in Pro Tools" to the subject (I think the original poster can do that for a thread).

I wonder, though, if he knows about the automatic create fade ins/outs function. At the speed at which he's flying around throwing fades onto regions in that video, it's not like he's taking much time to tweak each one... and auto fade creation is going to be faster than any one-at-a-time approach.

Leigh

i am monster face
buyin' gear

Post by i am monster face » Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:37 pm

leigh wrote:I'll be curious to see how he's doing it (programming key macros somewhere I'm guessing)...

By the way, you might get more people looking at this thread here if you add "...in Pro Tools" to the subject (I think the original poster can do that for a thread).

I wonder, though, if he knows about the automatic create fade ins/outs function. At the speed at which he's flying around throwing fades onto regions in that video, it's not like he's taking much time to tweak each one... and auto fade creation is going to be faster than any one-at-a-time approach.

Leigh
Yeah, I was wondering about that too.

And I will change the post title!

Ian

electrofloss
gettin' sounds

Post by electrofloss » Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:43 pm

Is this really that much faster/better than using the quick keys that are already there? Between A, S, D, and G (trim to start, trim to end, fade from start, fade to end) and apple + T, it is pretty easy to edit and fade regions quickly.

Am I missing something?

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:26 pm

And is it really that much faster than using Smart-tool? Hell, I'm on a control surface, reaching over to the keyboard is gonna slow my ass way down. With the exception of the Separate Region stuff and Delete, I can do all that with one hand on the trackball using Smart-tool.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

i am monster face
buyin' gear

Post by i am monster face » Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:55 pm

I like it because i don't have to click and drag. Eh, I don't know. Cool idea for me I guess.

Professor
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Professor » Sat Oct 27, 2007 12:25 am

I don't mean to sound all negative or anything here, but I'm kinda underwhelmed. Not to gloat, but I edit about that fast and I'm really working on audio. I slow down a bit here and there to zoom in and out, and of course if I zoom in then I also have to mouse down to the scroll bar to see the next edit point. I guess if I didn't have to actually clock the mouse button to drop the selection point that would keep my right thumb from gettin too tired.
I have the advantage of working on a really fast and comfortable track ball, and I purchased the ProTools custom keyboard. At $100-120 the keyboard seems spendy, but if you work on ProTools daily it's easily the best investment you can make. All my tools are labelled, and the one-button edit mode makes things run really fast. F1 thru F4 are the edit modes (shuffle, slip, etc.) then F5-F10 select the edit tools. Add to those A & S for trimming, D,F, & G for fades, B for separate, and even cut, copy, paste, and undo are on a single button press. My left hand is almost more active than my right while I'm editing.
I just figured it was normal pace of editing once you get used to the controls.

-Jeremy

syrupcore
deaf.

Post by syrupcore » Sat Oct 27, 2007 11:29 am

Agreed. The only enhancement here is really the removal of the click. I don't think the mouse over part is the interesting part. If you read the thread, he's adding a bunch of stuff that isn't already available as a keyboard shortcut (like flipping through playlists...amen). Even that isn't what's really interesting to me. I'm looking forward to seeing the source code and coming up with my own ways to make my own work in LE faster and more pleasant. If other people start to do the same, PT could get a lot more interesting. Don't let the 8 million smilies per post disuade you - this dude is methodical as hell. He's the one that's also behind all of the quadzilla machine madness. I'm sure it'll be interesting.

wedge
tinnitus

Post by wedge » Sat Oct 27, 2007 12:24 pm

syrupcore wrote:I don't think the mouse over part is the interesting part.
For me, this is the most compelling aspect, because every mouse click is one step closer to carpel tunnel syndrome... It's not about speed for me... Just comfort, and one less repetitive movement for my right hand...

syrupcore
deaf.

Post by syrupcore » Sat Oct 27, 2007 1:28 pm

true true. Mouse over editing is neat and you make a fine point. I'm just mostly excited about the door being opened some. PT interface plugins could be cool...

wedge
tinnitus

Post by wedge » Sat Oct 27, 2007 3:28 pm

syrupcore wrote:PT interface plugins could be cool...
This would open a world of amazing possibilities... Page Layout apps have plugins that add functionality... If DAWs did this, then skies the limit... I want a plugin in PTs that will allow you to apply an insert effect directly to a track, insteadsa having to go to the edit window and using the Audiosuite version, *if* you happen to have an audiosuite version... Seems stupid and controlling to me...

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:49 am

I edit blank audio chunks that fast. For the rest of the stuff that actually makes a sound, I like to listen before i hack things out. ;) :roll:

Pretty neat, though. "neat" the same way that robots are "neat" and so are lazer cannons.

I am not sure how it applies to me, though.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:02 pm

wavelab has worked like this since, oh...1999....

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Wed Oct 31, 2007 3:59 pm

The video was fake. He just put it in fast forward. :wink:

syrupcore
deaf.

Post by syrupcore » Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:31 pm

um. he's working on PDC. http://img485.imageshack.us/img485/209/pdcio2.gif

holy crap.