Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

micyourbrain
takin' a dinner break

Mbox 2 Micro YEAH RIGHT!!!

Post by micyourbrain » Sat Oct 27, 2007 3:40 am

Are you kidding me?

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Mbox2Micro

250 Just so that you can use protools without having to have your 003 plugged in? Why not just have all protools users have to buy a flashing protools sign and display it whenever the use PT? Is this software trying to kill itself? Maybe Logic 8 scared them good and they're just trying to cash out?

This is the most blatant they've ever been about taking our money to be allowed to use the program. Go logic! (and cubase, nuendo, digital performer... hell even traktion!)

Thoughts?

Rodgre
carpal tunnel

Post by Rodgre » Sat Oct 27, 2007 4:57 am

For those of us who have been elbow-deep in Pro Tools for 10+ years, it's not as easy as just switching over to a new DAW system just because Digidesign won't let you run the program without their hardware connected. I acknowledge that it is frustrating at times dealing with the inflexibility of interfaces and the incredible financial investment involved in switching from LE to HD, but hey... I've been using it for over 10 years and I know my way around the software. The thought of suddenly switching to a completely different program that will probably take me a year to become comfortable enough with it to work efficiently, it sounds like a bad business decision to me.

So with that, it's high time that Digidesign has finally listened to their loyal customers and realized that many people will jump ship because of their inflexibility and come out with something like this. Yes, it's another $250 in their pocket just for the right to use their software, but the M-Box 2 Micro will be a godsend for users who just want to go home and do their editing and vocal comping on their laptop instead of staying at the studio all night.

I'm not trying to justify it for anyone but myself, really. I do think it's interesting that Digidesign, corporate behemoth that it is, has found a way to successfully keep it's software both popular and unable to pirate. Not saying that's good or bad for the customer, just saying that it's interesting, period.

* edit
A quote from your own Myspace page: "Update 10/4: I switched to Protools! My set up has totally changed and I'll need a week or two to get comfortable with the new set up but then I'll be back rocking the shit."

I wish it only took me a week to rock the shit when I first started using Pro Tools.

Roger

???????
resurrected

Post by ??????? » Sat Oct 27, 2007 5:51 am

Wow. A $250 dongle. That's genius, right there, if they make it go. :shock:

GodDamn
pluggin' in mics

Post by GodDamn » Sat Oct 27, 2007 8:15 am

Well, it's kind logical to me; to anyone who can afford HD, chances are this would seem piss cheap. But they still need LE and you can hardly expect Digi to give it away for free. That's who this is aimed at, I recon.

My biggest worry would be loosing the fucker.

audiosweet
gettin' sounds

Post by audiosweet » Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:03 am

well shit you still have to lug an external around with you. i guess its still better than the entire interface.

Bear's Gone Fission
gettin' sounds

Post by Bear's Gone Fission » Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:12 am

Doesn't seem any worse than what Waves does to their customers by making them periodically buy the software again. All the same, I'm not buying either, thanks.

Bear

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:21 am

Jesus. i've been hoping they'd make one of these for years but $250 is a little much. If they had a heart they'd include this thing with every 003 they sell.

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:55 am

junkshop wrote:If they had a heart they'd include this thing with every 003 they sell.
They're "more machine than man now.. Twisted and evil."
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

zesbez
alignin' 24-trk

Post by zesbez » Sat Oct 27, 2007 11:27 am

Get over it people... Street price will be much less and it's more than a dongle, it also had D/A for monitoring and comes with ProTools LE and their normal bundle of goodies. This is a great deal/option for those getting into PT or for those who need portability. You guys complain about how much you hate Digi while I'm mixing in my favorite coffee shop.

:)

leigh
carpal tunnel

Post by leigh » Sat Oct 27, 2007 11:40 am

zesbez wrote:You guys complain about how much you hate Digi while I'm mixing in my favorite coffee shop.
What kind of nearfields does your coffee shop have? The Starbucks down the street has NS-10's, which is bullshit if you ask me, to have to work on such outdated, earbleed monitors after dropping $1.79 for a cup of crappy burnt-tasting coffee.

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Sat Oct 27, 2007 11:57 am

leigh wrote:
zesbez wrote:You guys complain about how much you hate Digi while I'm mixing in my favorite coffee shop.
What kind of nearfields does your coffee shop have? The Starbucks down the street has NS-10's, which is bullshit if you ask me, to have to work on such outdated, earbleed monitors after dropping $1.79 for a cup of crappy burnt-tasting coffee.
:D I like my coffee-stained NS-10Ms!!!

I have admit that I am definitely going to pick this up. If I can use my BLA 828mk2 as an interface with the MBox Micro and Pro Tools LE, even better. I look at it as PTLE with a dongle. Now I can move files between Digital Performer and Pro Tools without dropping serious coin.

Jeff
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

syrupcore
deaf.

Post by syrupcore » Sat Oct 27, 2007 12:01 pm

GodDamn wrote:Well, it's kind logical to me; to anyone who can afford HD, chances are this would seem piss cheap. But they still need LE and you can hardly expect Digi to give it away for free. That's who this is aimed at, I recon.
not really. it only supports 48k. $100 seems marginally reasonable for a headphone jack and the ability to run the software you already paid for. apple will swallow them eventually.

micyourbrain
takin' a dinner break

Post by micyourbrain » Sat Oct 27, 2007 12:49 pm

sure it's a "godsend" but why not $40 without the software? This is how you can tell they're not being nice or reasonable at all.

I switched to PTLE from Logic Express and I'm worried it may have been a mistake. Since I'm not really committed to any program right now, I can pick whatever is best for my purposes. I also thought it would bring in bands but they haven't seemed to care.

And some annoying things about PT make me even more concerned. The first day I used the 003 it froze. If you route things to outputs 1 and 2, they go to left and right - isn't that what the main outs are for? And of course having to have your hardware plugged in to open the program - but I knew that beforehand

I thought there would be some benefit to owning the "standard" but it just feels like one big scam

Rodgre
carpal tunnel

Post by Rodgre » Sat Oct 27, 2007 3:09 pm

I just had an image that made me feel really good.

I can now comp vocals on a laptop while sitting at the beach.

Then I realized that I hated the beach, and sunlight gives me headaches.

Then I thought about the fact that I could still bill clients for the time I'm editing so sitting at the beach seems like a nice place to be.

Just sayin...

Roger

ctmsound
george martin

Post by ctmsound » Sat Oct 27, 2007 3:20 pm

The price is up there because it comes with the software. It's not like you're just buying the interface. Your frustrations should be that Digi isn't offering the micro without the software to those that already own Pro Tools LE.