help an analog guy out

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

permanent hearing damage
re-cappin' neve

help an analog guy out

Post by permanent hearing damage » Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:53 pm

ok, i have been recording in the analog realm for the last 8 or 9 years, but i have been doing some basic editing/"mastering" in nuendo and wavelab for the last few years, so i'm not entirely familiar.

i guess my question as i'm building my mix - i want to use subgroups just for simplicity and for some processing, etc. i cannot figure out how the hell to send things to subgroups without just sending them to different outputs on my interface. help me out here, please. where are these things? or do they not exist here? i am using nuendo 1.6, i think. i know, i know. it's old. it's all i got.

Anthony Caruso
pushin' record

Post by Anthony Caruso » Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:10 pm

I don't know about nuendo but in ProTools and other DAWs there are internal busses, selectable at the same place you would select an interface output. Put each drum channel out buss 1&2, create an Aux input (or the nuendo equivalent, basically a non-recordable channel that will just pass signal) and select Buss 1&2 as the input to this Aux channel.

Hope this isn't redundant information that you already know and have tried, and I wish I could guide you thru specifics. I just know the principles of many DAWs are similar and maybe this can jump start you. Good luck!

gradwellhouse
alignin' 24-trk

Post by gradwellhouse » Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:40 pm

Make a "group track" and name it, then when you pulldown the output menu for the channel you wanna send to that group itll be in the menu.
Until you have the group tracks made and in the project the only opetion you will have is the seperate output one.
Steve

farview
tinnitus

Post by farview » Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:41 pm

Yup, add a group channel. Everything else you need to know is in the manual.

BTW, you can also use group channels as aux sends to get parallel processing and other effects that need to be summed back into a group channel.

permanent hearing damage
re-cappin' neve

Post by permanent hearing damage » Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:48 am

ah group tracks. thank you, i will give this a shot.

i'm probably gonna just mix this thing through the desk, but i figure i will mess around with this stuff on my own just to get the hang of it