Logic Pro 8 Question

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

zyabo
audio school graduate

Logic Pro 8 Question

Post by zyabo » Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:46 pm

Hi everyone,

I have received my logic pro 8 yesterday and installed it today. Been playing with it all day long and reading the manual briefly. It's my first experience with logic.

The question is how do you assign outputs to outputs of your audio interface. I couldn't find the answer in the manual. I know it's there but I haven't properly read it yet. Need much more time to spend with it I guess.

I have a MOTU 24 i/o interface and would like to know how to route the outs.

The only way I figured out so far is assigning the out of a channel to the bus and then the bus out to let's say outs 1-2 and using a pan select whether I want an out 1 or 2. The outs from the channel strip are all in pairs of 1-2 to 23-24.

Is there a simple way of selecting an output for channels to send them to the console?

Thank you for your attention. Any comments are welcomed.

yoink
audio school graduate

Post by yoink » Sun Nov 11, 2007 3:32 pm

Generally, as long as you assign an output to a channel or bus in Logic 8, it will create the necessary channel strip for that output for you once something has been assigned to it. It cuts down clutter that way. The outputs themselves should all be accessible to you in the menus and should all be available for your selection, but you won't see anything other than Output 1-2 as an actual channel strip to start.

You can, once everything is setup, create your own template for future use of course!

If Logic is not creating the channel strips for your outputs (once selected on a track or bus/aux channel strip), check the song/project preferences and make sure that "automatic management of channel strip objects" is turned on in the audio tab (or some option very close to that effect).

zyabo
audio school graduate

Post by zyabo » Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:03 am

Hi, thanks a lot for the answer.

I tried this:

Created 6 tracks:
Track 1 - Output 1-2
Track 2 - Output 1-2
Track 3 - Output 3-4
Track 4 - Output 3-4
Track 5 - Output 5-6
Track 6 - Output 5-6

When I opened mixer it automaticly created (like you mentioned) outputs. From what I red in the manual they are the actual outs of my interface. But the thing is that it only created 3 stereo pairs of channels: 1-2, 3-4, 5-6.
So how can I get each channel for each out like: Track 1 - Output 1 and so on, so I can use Pan automation of the logic and having it on a desck channel... for example or just to be able to use each output of my interface for whatever track I want.

Thank you

zyabo
audio school graduate

Post by zyabo » Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:05 am

Basicaly, how do you make individual outputs instead of the stereopairs???

Thank you

playonbrother
takin' a dinner break

Post by playonbrother » Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:14 am

zyabo wrote:Basicaly, how do you make individual outputs instead of the stereopairs???

Thank you
well i have individual outputs going out of logic to my console via my metric halo 2882's. the only way to do this is by panning the track left or right. for example...

kick - channel 1 - output 1-2 - pan left to output to 1
snare - channel 2 - output 1-2 - pan right to output to 2
overheads - channel 3 & 4 - output 3-4 - keep up the center
bass - channel 5 - output 5-6 - pan left to output 5

i hope this helps. it did drive me a bit crazy that i could just route the track to a mono output like protools or performer but i've gotten used to it and it's really not that bad. again, i hope this answers you question.

later,

al

zyabo
audio school graduate

Post by zyabo » Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:30 am

Hi, thanks a lot for the input...

That's the way I figured it out... and another is to use buses... send the channel signal to bus 1 for instance and than hard pan the bus output depending on what channel you want to use.
Then way you describe is easier and logical but than you can't use the pan automation... the second way I can use an automation, I guess... but it's a pain in the ass to do if you're running lots of tracks to 24 outs...
Hm...

Is it th same in Cubase? I havent worked with it for a few years and cant remember, but I think you have the option to use stereo pairs or mono outs for each channel...

Any ideas&

Thanks

playonbrother
takin' a dinner break

Post by playonbrother » Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:39 am

zyabo wrote:Hi, thanks a lot for the input...

That's the way I figured it out... and another is to use buses... send the channel signal to bus 1 for instance and than hard pan the bus output depending on what channel you want to use.
Then way you describe is easier and logical but than you can't use the pan automation... the second way I can use an automation, I guess... but it's a pain in the ass to do if you're running lots of tracks to 24 outs...
Hm...

Is it th same in Cubase? I havent worked with it for a few years and cant remember, but I think you have the option to use stereo pairs or mono outs for each channel...

Any ideas&

Thanks
thing is though, if you are planning on applying pan automation to a mono track, won't you want to assign it to a stereo pair anyway? i recently did this on a mix and i was panning a mono keyboard part but i assigned it to a stereo pair on my console and everything was mellow. i'm pretty sure you would have to do this in any other app as well. again, i'm not totally sure what you want in the end but this does work really well for me.

hope all is well,

al

JohnDavisNYC
ghost haunting audio students

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:46 am

i do things exactly as described by alan.

be sure to check out the panning laws, and set it to '0db'... you don't want unnecessary gain changes occurring to your audio... the '-3' and '-3compensated' can get you in trouble if you are going out of the box. you want levels to be the same coming out as going in.

john
i like to make music with music and stuff and things.

http://www.thebunkerstudio.com/

playonbrother
takin' a dinner break

Post by playonbrother » Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:53 am

toaster3000 wrote:i do things exactly as described by alan.

be sure to check out the panning laws, and set it to '0db'... you don't want unnecessary gain changes occurring to your audio... the '-3' and '-3compensated' can get you in trouble if you are going out of the box. you want levels to be the same coming out as going in.

john
thanks for mentioning that john, totally spaced!

al

zyabo
audio school graduate

Post by zyabo » Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:59 am

Oh yeah, I guess you are right about paning with the stereopair... As I said I haven't done it for quite a long time....

musikman316
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by musikman316 » Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:43 am

I'm using Logic Express 7 and I have a MOTU 896, and I have the ouputs of each channel run to a mono out. 1 - 1, 2 - 2 etc. I'll take a look when I get home. I know that I opened up the MOTU control panel when I first set it up and rearranged some stuff there, so you may want to look at that.

Sorry that this isn't really a good answer, I'll see if I can get you some better info :)

Josh