Red Red Wine Into Macbook Pro, Please Ease My Pain

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

electrofloss
gettin' sounds

Red Red Wine Into Macbook Pro, Please Ease My Pain

Post by electrofloss » Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:00 pm

Tonight I spilled a full glass of red wine into my Macbook Pro. I was not drunk, it was just an unfortunate occurrence. I shut it down, took it apart, dried it out, but it will not start. I'll take it to Tekserve tomorrow, but I'm not optimistic.

Friends, please share with me stories of boneheaded things you've done to destroy your own computers/gear to make me feel better.

Thank you in advance. I am very sad.

GLEA
pushin' record

Post by GLEA » Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:17 pm

when i rebuilt my studio, i fashioned a shelf for drinks... the idea was if I spiiled anything, it was below gear level. you may be sunk now, but you have learned about gravity.
the country that rules magnetism, rules the world
http://www.donovans-brain.com

electrofloss
gettin' sounds

Post by electrofloss » Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:36 pm

this was a home accident, not a studio accident. i was at home relaxing, doing some emailing/watching tv. of course i shouldn't have put the wine down next to the computer, but i did. the cat was doing something he shouldn't have, and i turned quickly to yell "NO". my hand hit the glass. everything moved in slow motion...

the horror...

pancho (the cat) and i have reconciled and he is sleeping at my feet now. he has not offered to foot the bill as of yet.

Kindly Killer
gettin' sounds

Post by Kindly Killer » Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:49 am

A couple years ago my wife and I were eating Taco Bell on our white sofa, which at that time was in pristine condition. We were enjoying ourselves, reveling in how decadent it was to eat such messy food on the white sofa. Of course we were so careful that not so much as a stray crumb touched the sofa, but on her way to the kitchen with the trash, my wife dropped a hot sauce packet and stepped on it. The fun evaporated a lot faster than the water from vigorously shampooing and cleaning the sofa and carpet. BTW we still eat on the sofa when the mood strikes.

hiddendriveways
pushin' record

Post by hiddendriveways » Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:11 pm

I sent a Miller High Life toppling straight into my Apple keyboard on my DAW. The beer totally killed the keyboard. Beer is sticky. That was only a $40 hit at Tekserve. Sorry about your spill. Bad kitty. Taco Bell is gross.

palinilap
buyin' gear

Post by palinilap » Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:48 pm

High Life is some sick shit... takes it about 2 minutes to develop mold in the can/bottle.

vier-personen
gettin' sounds

Post by vier-personen » Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:03 pm

these stories sound familiar...

I spilled a full glass of water over the keyboard of my running macbook - it died completely. I turned it over and water kept running out of it for a few minutes. I removed the harddrive as I wanted to save data of the project I was working on - there was water under the metal bracket that holds the hd in the macbook! but I was lucky, at least the harddrive was still working (I put it into my wife?s macbook after it dried), but no lifesign on the macbook itself.
after 4 or 5 days I wanted to bring the macbook to repairs and I thougt I should give it a last try before I do that, and put the hd in again and - surprise! - it was working perfect again! no problems!
so there?s still hope for you, electrofloss!

but let this be a warning: a week or so later I thought nothing in the world can happen to me, and was checking my e-mail with a beer... and you guess it, I spilled some beer on the macbook - damn!
this time it was less liquid and everything but the keyboard worked. the keyboard would work for a few minutes, than I?d type an "q" and it would write "9"...
but again, after a few days everything went back to normal, except one key is not working at all: the left command key - the only key that is twice on the keyboard!
ain?t I lucky? nothing in the world can happen to me now (goes into kitchen, brings a glass of orange juice and ..

A-Barr
tinnitus

Post by A-Barr » Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:12 pm

I once poured lemonade concentrate into a fax machine in front of my boss.

Don't ask.

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:39 pm

Back in the summer of 1997 I accidentally spilled a full pint glass of water on my table next to my Sequential Sixtrak and my Boss DR5. I freaked and moved them and didn't notice how the water was just pouring off of the table and into my Tascam 424mkII. It was powered off at the time. I simply dried it off the best that I could, took a hair drier to it and everything, then didn't turn it on for two weeks. Worked fine. I am insanely careful/paranoid since then.

Jeff
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:07 pm

When I was a kid me and my friend where opening m80's and lighting the gunpowder on fire against a tree trunk..he went to go light this one and it ignited really fast and he burnt his hands and face off..his mom never let him come over again after that..

Smitty
tinnitus

Post by Smitty » Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:14 pm

we have a bit of a penchant for beer in the music area, and we've been trying to avoid this very scenario. we knew we needed sippy-cups, but we were too damn proud.

then i found these. the Mini 20oz (click Products) is all the awesomeness of a sippy cup (admit it... much like velcro shoes, you still long for them), but for adults.
"I try to hate all my gear equally at all times to keep the balance of power in my favor." - Brad Sucks

electrofloss
gettin' sounds

Post by electrofloss » Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:16 pm

thank you one and all. i ended up taking the computer to a local mac repair shop here in brooklyn and i'm awaiting a diagnosis.

a few years ago my rehearsal space flooded and 4 of my guitar pedals were completely immersed in water. when i found them they were all dead. a week later, all but 1 (my Korg tuner) worked again. so a part of me holds out some hope, but not much. water is not wine. Boss pedals are not laptop computers.

yet.

JohnDavisNYC
ghost haunting audio students

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:47 am

digital society is good for mac repairs in nyc... they have my G5 right now... either the logic board or the dual G5 processor itself went... should be fixed this week.

that was a party.

good thing we have 2" and Radar... losing the conputer/logic for 2 weeks didn't even faze us... in fact, it has been amazingly refreshing to not use a trackball or look at a screen all the time.

oh... and it sounds better... and people play better.

but, this is not about that.

good luck with your computer... if the brooklyn guy doesn't work, i highly reccomend digital society on w10th st.

john
i like to make music with music and stuff and things.

http://www.thebunkerstudio.com/

rydaken
pushin' record

Post by rydaken » Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:48 am

Sorry to hear about the wine. I've had luck when it was just water, and only once was I lucky with beer.
I was tracking some vocals at this small studio, rapper is in the booth. I'm thirsty, and all they had was beer. Not even a (clean) restroom to put a glass under the faucet for water. Really ghetto. The desk is 2 tier, and while tracking, I notice a pen is about to roll and fall off the top tier to the bottom (no big deal). For some reason, I make a move to catch the damn thing and BAM. Beer falls over onto the firewire drive that we are tracking to at that moment! I'm noticeably freaking out with the star in the booth.
He's all "what's wrong" and I'm dabbing beer off the hard drive (w/ my t-shirt) while attempting to make a punch.
I'm "Oh nothing, got any paper towels".
He's "Nah, lets get that second verse".
I'm "One sec, I'm going to run to the restroom really fast".
I'm down in the bathroom, and their isn't a paper towel to be seen. Not even toilet paper! I get back to the room, he's out of the booth and has seen the mess by this point, but I had managed to get all of the beer off the firewire drive (luckily it was a pretty well sealed case). He's dabbing up beer with coffee filters (a complete waste of time) and never realized the severity of the situation. We eventually got back to tracking vocals, and everything finished on a good note with no one the wiser.

A-Barr
tinnitus

Post by A-Barr » Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:01 am

...and people wonder why I show up with one of these on: