Portland ME anyone, anyone?

Regional activities, relevant news, job openings, studio searches, local beer nights (not a forum to plug the new album you just worked on)

Moderator: drumsound

hughmanatee
gettin' sounds

Portland ME anyone, anyone?

Post by hughmanatee » Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:51 am

im just looking to see how many of us are out there, id like to know what youre using, where you record etc.

scott anthony
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by scott anthony » Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:05 am

Grew up in Portland and Gorham. Moved out 19 years ago.

In the mid-eighties I worked for Rick Pinette and the One of A Kind agency. We had built a nice studio with a MCI JH-636. Probably long gone.

My favorite studio was a place in Lewiston. EAB. Ed Boucher. He had picked up James Taylor's API console and also had the 3M 16tk that loops down. Couple of Scully 2tk workhorses, EMT plate, good Neumanns, etc. I'm sure he's probably long gone too.

There is a reel nice guy over on the SawStudio board named Michael McInnis. Pretty knowledgeable guy.

I'm still up once in a while for family things. About 8 years ago I went up to Rockport with a band for a week and we borrowed an giant old art gallery/dance studio/loft with very high ceilings and did a record... fun stuff...

scott anthony
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by scott anthony » Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:19 am

I forgot to mention Louis Phillipe and Reindeer Records. Louis has been working for years bringing battle of the band events and helping high school age musicians get exposure to what realistic music careers involve. He also helps the better bands of that age find ways to record.

hughmanatee
gettin' sounds

Post by hughmanatee » Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:33 am

yeah i know louis and Michael pretty well, both great guys, michael recorded a short cd for a band that im currently recording, then was managing. hes got a cool place. lots of hi tech gadgets that make drum sounds.

JWL
deaf.

Post by JWL » Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:40 am

Hey there. I used to live in Portland, but bought a place in New Gloucester this past spring. Just getting my mobile recording business off the ground now....

We should hook up sometime for a coffee or a beer or something.

hughmanatee
gettin' sounds

Post by hughmanatee » Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:32 pm

yeah, i just got my own portable rig. let me know if you'll be around

Alias@anticon.com
audio school graduate

Post by Alias@anticon.com » Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:05 am

I just moved back to Portland, Maine from Oakland, California. I record in my apartment. here's some pics of what I use:

I don't really have people record in my studio...it's mostly for my own releases....but that may change when my to-do list clears up and I have a bigger space....my wife and I moved back here with the intention of buying a house....time will tell....

I heart Portland.

hughmanatee
gettin' sounds

Post by hughmanatee » Sat Dec 08, 2007 11:50 am

man, alias that muppets mousepad is awesome, and the rest of the studio is damn impressive as well

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:42 pm

There's a pretty nice mastering room in Protland ME...

JWL
deaf.

Post by JWL » Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:51 pm

Yeah, that Bob Ludwig guy might just have a promising career ahead of him.... LOL

JWL
deaf.

Post by JWL » Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:53 pm

Sounds like a Portland, ME Tapeop meetup night might be in order....

BustedBarn
audio school

Post by BustedBarn » Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:17 pm

Hey guys. I'm running a studio in Freeport right now and am moving the studio to Windham this spring (hopefully). We should get together for some beers or something and talk shop. It's good to see recording enthusiasts in the area. Just made the switch from my full time job to the studio buis. I'm finding it's hard but I'm slowly gaining some recognition and clients. My studio is called Busted Barn and here's my website if you want to check it out.

www.bustedbarn.com

Take care

hughmanatee
gettin' sounds

Post by hughmanatee » Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:44 pm

wow thats great i didnt realize there were so many tape-oppers in the area. we should get a beer night set up, let me know

JWL
deaf.

Post by JWL » Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:45 pm

OK, where? Any fave haunts in the area? $3 Dewey's in the Old Port (they actually have a porter on tap.... yay!)

Doesn't matter where, but we def should set this up soon....

JWL
deaf.

Post by JWL » Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:48 pm

Wow, Pete, your space looks great! Maybe we should meet up there soon.... :-)

Windham is actually closer to my house, but only a little. I finally found a quick(ish) way to get to Freeport from New Gloucester....

Will you be building your space out in Windham? Or moving in to an already-constructed space?