"RIAA claims ripping CDs is piracy"

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

wren
suffering 'studio suck'

"RIAA claims ripping CDs is piracy"

Post by wren » Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:26 pm

http://www.macnn.com/articles/07/12/11/ ... d.ripping/

:shock:...I don't know what to say. What exactly are they trying to do here?
"I don't need time, I need a deadline." -Duke Ellington

"I liked the holes in it as much as I liked what was in them." -Tom Waits

Jeremy Garber
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Jeremy Garber » Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:17 pm

Don't worry, before too long we'll be paying royalties per play on our personal systems.

syrupcore
deaf.

Post by syrupcore » Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:55 pm

I'm gonna stock up on blank 90 minute cassettes.

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Fri Dec 14, 2007 5:30 am

"RIAA seeks legislatively mandated handout on all computer/blank media sales revenues"

kayagum

Post by kayagum » Fri Dec 14, 2007 5:39 am

Doesn't matter. The labels are not-so-slowly going out of business. Couldn't happen to a nicer set of folk. :rofl:

Jeff White

Post by Jeff White » Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:12 am

I've been saying that they are going to eventually use this angle for some time now. Seems like they are digging at the bottom of the barrel for something/anything to progress in their pursuit to own bandwidth and the internet.

Jeff
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

ctmsound
george martin

Post by ctmsound » Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:05 pm

the RIAA contends that ripping CDs leads to "viral" copyright infringement; a single disc can result in millions of copies if shared through a peer-to-peer service, the brief claims.
Wow, interesting jump from putting a CD on your iPod to becoming a potential file sharing criminal. I guess if they win this one they'll have to sue, well, everybody on the fuckin' planet...

A-Barr
tinnitus

Post by A-Barr » Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:14 pm

ctmsound wrote:
the RIAA contends that ripping CDs leads to "viral" copyright infringement; a single disc can result in millions of copies if shared through a peer-to-peer service, the brief claims.
Wow, interesting jump from putting a CD on your iPod to becoming a potential file sharing criminal. I guess if they win this one they'll have to sue, well, everybody on the fuckin' planet...
Isn't a record company digitizing a file making them a potential file sharing criminal? I mean, is anything that much more prone to being illegally copied if it's on a hard disk vs. a cd?

And in response, to the headline of this thread:

I claim the RIAA can bite my shiny metal ass.

Alex Netick
takin' a dinner break

Post by Alex Netick » Fri Dec 14, 2007 2:16 pm

Who the fuck is the RIAA anyway? I always think of them as swindlers hooked up with the Gambino family -- people who have nothing to do with music or recording, but hanging people off of balconies to get their royalties, and making the listening experience for your average chump like me about as unpleasant as possible. I'm seriously thinking of never buying a record again -- just using the library, and free podcasts and such.

A-Barr
tinnitus

Post by A-Barr » Fri Dec 14, 2007 2:22 pm

Riaa claims libraries should be wiped off the face of the earth. And that everyone should shut up about 'em or else....

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:25 pm

Alex Netick wrote:Who the fuck is the RIAA anyway? I always think of them as swindlers hooked up with the Gambino family -- people who have nothing to do with music or recording, but hanging people off of balconies to get their royalties, and making the listening experience for your average chump like me about as unpleasant as possible. I'm seriously thinking of never buying a record again -- just using the library, and free podcasts and such.
just buy your cds and lps from the bands directly. or, just buy records on independent labels. you should still support the people who are trying to do things the right way.

i am monster face
buyin' gear

Post by i am monster face » Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:36 pm

A-Barr wrote:Riaa claims libraries should be wiped off the face of the earth. And that everyone should shut up about 'em or else....
Books are for Nurdz.

No Wave Casio Kitsch
re-cappin' neve

Post by No Wave Casio Kitsch » Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:44 pm

Tatertot wrote:"RIAA seeks legislatively mandated handout on all computer/blank media sales revenues"
That has to be the most ridiculous thing I've heard in at least a week.

Alex Netick
takin' a dinner break

Post by Alex Netick » Fri Dec 14, 2007 6:14 pm

I don't know -- not a bad idea. Having said that, I don't really have the disposable income to pay for any music. And most of what I like, I've paid for 2 or 3 times already. Shit, I've probably put over ten thousand dollars into c.d.s, records, tapes, and mp3s.
subatomic pieces wrote:
Alex Netick wrote:Who the fuck is the RIAA anyway? I always think of them as swindlers hooked up with the Gambino family -- people who have nothing to do with music or recording, but hanging people off of balconies to get their royalties, and making the listening experience for your average chump like me about as unpleasant as possible. I'm seriously thinking of never buying a record again -- just using the library, and free podcasts and such.
just buy your cds and lps from the bands directly. or, just buy records on independent labels. you should still support the people who are trying to do things the right way.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:54 pm

No Wave Casio Kitsch wrote:
Tatertot wrote:"RIAA seeks legislatively mandated handout on all computer/blank media sales revenues"
That has to be the most ridiculous thing I've heard in at least a week.
Well, they already tried it with blank cassettes, and the movie industry tried it with blank VHS tapes...and if I'm not mistaken one of those actually worked.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/