What did you work on today? Dec. 16, 2007

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

What did you work on today? Dec. 16, 2007

Post by apropos of nothing » Sun Dec 16, 2007 8:20 pm

Ha ha. Beatcha.

I'll go: Wifey was migraining most of the day. I kicked her out to her office at school (and gave her a ride home later), so that I could jam with my bro, Don Henze. He played my crazy "kit": a 22" open back drum with a synthetic head, a tambourine for a hihat, and a darbuka, with brushes. I played piano. I meant to record, but then the wifey called for a ride home. Next time. I think those recordings will sound hot as hell.

I also got feedback from him on some of the video-editing stuff I've been doing for work, and sent him home with a DVD of an AVI that I made of some of our band's material.

Made din and cleaned kitchen for the lady. Lazed about on teh intterwebs.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:29 am

Got up at 6:30AM. Drove a little over an hour to get to a church gig this morning where I played 14 notes on snare drum, four notes on hand cymbals, a bit of maracas, a bit of triangle, and a bit of suspended cymbal.

Then I drove a little over an hour to the studio, where I had an overdub and mix session for a metal band starting at 2PM. Got there at a little after 1 and started setting up. Found out when the band got there that the overdubs would be a little more involved than we had initially planned. We tracked basics on three songs a couple of weeks ago and today they would be replacing all the bass on all three songs and all the guitars on one of the songs. After we did that, we tried a few passes of some experimental background vocals that were deemed unnecessary. At about 6PM, I started to really hone in on the first mix. At about 7, we went out to grab a bite to eat and resumed about 45 minutes later. Finished the first tune at about 10. Finished the last tune at about 1AM. We did alternate stereo mixes of two of the tunes and TV mixes and instrumentals of all three. Burned three copies of the hi-res masters (24/88.2) and made unedited reference discs of the three "official"mixes for the band to check out at home. Burned one for myself to check out in the morning as well.

I feel pretty good about the mixes. They had started this record with another engineer and came to me to finish it, but decided after the first day of tracking to just start over. Tonight, they booked a few more days with me in a couple of months.

I've had a headache all day, though, (probably partially from being sick this past week) and I'm pretty much done for the day. Gotta be back at the studio at noon tomorrow for another session.

I do love my job!

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

Colin F.
gettin' sounds

Post by Colin F. » Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:01 am

...just landed in Hawaii where I'll be for the next 10 days...

8)

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:30 am

Spent the afternoon recording a loose, texture-heavy thing with a new bandmate while the snow kept piling up outside. Purposefully tried to keep things quick and minimal, so I ended up taking bass DI'd out of my SWR combo, and hihats and dobro with my fancy new Red capsule. Learned that dobro is a total mofo to record well.

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:09 am

cgarges wrote:Got up at 6:30AM. Drove a little over an hour to get to a church gig this morning
Then I drove a little over an hour to the studio, where I had an overdub and mix session for a metal band starting at 2PM.
God and the devil all in one day!

jrsgodfrey
re-cappin' neve

Post by jrsgodfrey » Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:39 am

Properly hung panels/traps in the studio. Much better.

Critical listening to a set of drum takes from last weekend; re-tracked some bass to fit. Made rough mixes for the guitar player.

All on my 44th birthday (and Beethoven's 237th).

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:53 am

Happy 44th, Jay.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:05 am

jrsgodfrey wrote:All on my 44th birthday (and Beethoven's 237th).
Yeah, happy birthday!
junkshop wrote:God and the devil all in one day!
I am in the South, you know.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

scott anthony
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by scott anthony » Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:17 am

In the AM took a dozen cub scouts to the county senior home for caroling. Dashed home and setup a modest basic tracking setup for a band rehearsal, preparing for a round of basics to be done after the holidays... wanted to try some mic and placement combos before doing the real thing, plus we needed demos of the new stuff. Did a mix of 1.5 hours worth of takes and uploaded them to my website so the band could download them when they got home. Updated the equipment (scored a nice piano off Craigslist) and client lists on my website while I was logged in...

markmeat
pushin' record

Post by markmeat » Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:29 am

What did I work on... my beer gut. Saw three great bands, drank many great beers... ended up joining ANOTHER band (my third one currently)... this time on bass (I'm usually a drummer, sometimes a guitar player, but NEVER a bassist... oh well... something new). Hung a big velvet curtain in the "studio" to hide the "laundry room"

MEAT
"Every fight is a food fight when you're a cannibal!"

http://thedeadlivers.bandcamp.com

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:37 am

Nothing!

(OK, so I went to the golf range, ate fried chicken in a WI Packer bar, and watched half of the Lord of the Rings trilogy on cable. I need a month more of days like that- consecutively! :D )

rydberg
pushin' record

Post by rydberg » Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:59 am

kayagum wrote: I need a month more of days like that- consecutively! :D )
Amen to that, brother.

I awoke to a low-level yet stupefying hangover I picked up at the Xmas party our drummer threw the night before. Got to the studio by 1pm to continue the previous day's work of mixing the rest of a record I tracked back in August. Finished off 4 songs in 8 hours. Drank way too much coffee way too late in the day, so by the time I went to bed I was staring at the ceiling till 3am. And then I had to be in at work this morning at 8am to mix four short videos for a pharma company.

Next: lunch.

P.

studilaroche
studio intern

Post by studilaroche » Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:14 am

1st post!
I mastered a live show from the night before, called the Happenstance. 30 musicians show up at 10am, get randomly thrown together as a band. Then they go off to rehearsal rooms and write a 20 minute set of original music, with only one cover tune allowed. Then they show up the club (the Earl, if you know Atlanta) and get randomly assigned to time slots. At ten pm, the fun begins.
They record a matrix mix at FOH, and I take the CDs of the sets and master away. Lots of fun, both as a player (I've done it twice) and as a viewer. Last cover of the night? Stayin' Alive. Notable mention? 'Wheel in the Sky'.
Ben

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:19 pm

Well, here at the 'Spit-n-go' we were doing rap.

I always enjoy the occasional glimmer of a good lyric.

Here's a highlight from today:

"Hoes kiss me like it's a tradition, call it mistletoe"

Some industry beat, but the dude actually had presence on the mic.

LOL

charlievela
gettin' sounds

Post by charlievela » Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:28 pm

My brother and I started building a new workstation desk. Went down to Wal-Lumber and picked out the wood, then spent the rest of the afternoon cutting and sanding. We just finished the first coat of stain and I must say it looks pretty damn good!

It's roughly the equivalent of one of those fancy-schmancy workstations that go for well above $1500. total price tag so far $120. Merry Christmas indeed.