Revive the thread - Name Dropping

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

i am monster face
buyin' gear

Post by i am monster face » Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:57 pm

How did you meet Raven Riley. Under what circumstance did you happen upon her.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:21 am

is there anyone Tragibigzanda DOESN'T know?

raven riley looks alot better in that pic w/JR than she does in the pic on her wiki page, imo.

scott anthony
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by scott anthony » Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:23 am

MoreSpaceEcho wrote: raven riley looks alot better in that pic w/JR than she does in the pic on her wiki page, imo.
true.

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:49 am

Allen Ginsberg, after a reading at my college in 1994.

Bob Moog, Victor and Futureman Wooten various times when I lived in Asheville and attended UNCA. All great folks. I miss Asheville.

I used to correspond with and hang out with the Ozric Tentacles when they were in the States between 1994 and 2004. Used to hang out and smoke dope with them backstage before shows and after shows. I was there on the tour when Ed met Brandy for the first time, which was the beginning of the end of the Ozric "band years". Ed Wynne sent me a holiday card in 1999, which was insanely cool. when I went to London for the first time in 2004 Zia and John took me out for pints before a ZubZub gig, and we all smoked lots of hash together until 7am at this crazy party.

I hung out with Joie and Merv from Eat Static (used to be in the Ozrics) in Atlanta. It was Sept 1997 and they were participating in the Big Top tour with Loop Guru, Moby, Banca De Gaia, etc. My gf at the time and I went backstage and drank for free with all of the artists. I almost knocked Moby over rounding a corner in the bowels of Heaven in the Masquerade Club that night. He introduced himself to me by saying "Hi, I'm Moby." Totally random and weird. Great night.

Shelley Yakus dates or used to date my friend's aunt. I've hung out with him several times and picked his brain. Great guy, very friendly.

I ran monitors for Paula Cole.

I told John Christ that he sucked to his face. I was drunk, it was 1995(?)

I hung out with Tesla and Lars Ulrich backstage at the Troc in Philly after that "Five Man Acoustic Jam Band with Ham" or whatever the fuck it was called live record's recording. Lars was a drunk asshole to myself and my friends, and we were all big Metallica fans at the time. It was bullshit. Tesla guys were nice. It was 1990 and I was 17.

I ran sound for Lynne Cheney on three occasions in Philadelphia between 2003 and 2004. She was polite and her secret service guys were creepy and robotic. One of them was super cool, though.

I met Mike from Phish when he was riding around on a golf cart at Oswego in upstate NY, summer 1999.

Gillian Welch and David Rawlings at the Station Inn in Nashville. Saw them after the Gibson reps took us out to dinner and had us drink moonshine with them. We entered the Station Inn not knowing who we were seeing, saw the most amazing show, and then hung out with Gillan and David for 45 mins afterwards, drinking beers. The Gibson Rep even bought me a Station Inn T-shirt. I am wearing said T-shirt today.

A drunk and coked up out of his skull Sebastian Bach and several groupies at the stage door of the Stone Pony in Asbury Park, NJ. We just saw Dream Theater (this was Feb of 1993, so cut me some slack, as my tastes have evolved) and were waiting to see if we could get in and chat with them. At first I thought that Sebastian was Kevin Moore, but it became apparent that he wasn't. Mike Portnoy rescued us.

Some more if I remember them.

Jeff
Last edited by Jeff White on Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

scott anthony
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by scott anthony » Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:14 am

I guess I can tag a few I've met and not feel too weird...

Garth Brooks (short)
Roxette
George Thorogood
Robert Quine (cool)
Julian Schnabel
Sean Penn in a tux with his parents
Larry Mullen
Adam Duritz
Traci Lords
Saw Linda Hamilton on the street once... saw Liv Tyler at a SpaceHog gig once... saw Steve Martin on the street... used to watch Tom Brokaw get in his car service every morning from a sublet...

Ugh... drawing blanks... forgetting a bunch...
Last edited by scott anthony on Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

scott anthony
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by scott anthony » Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:18 am

ipressrecord wrote:Allen Ginsberg, after a reading at my college in 1994.
I met Allen once, was the recording engineer on an all-star gig of his(about a year before he passed) at St. Mark's Church. Lenny Kaye was the music director, Sonic Youth the rhythm section. I still have the mic he used on that gig...
Last edited by scott anthony on Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

lyman
re-cappin' neve

Post by lyman » Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:23 am

ipressrecord wrote:
I ran sound for Lynne Cheney on three occasions in Philadelphia between 2003 and 2004. She was polite and her secret service guys were creepy and robotic.
She has excellent tone.

Tragabigzanda
steve albini likes it

Post by Tragabigzanda » Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:36 am

"I told John Christ that he sucked to his face."

Awesome.
Alex C. McKenzie

Jeff White

Post by Jeff White » Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:53 am

Tragibigzanda wrote:"I told John Christ that he sucked to his face."

Awesome.
He. Was. Not. Amused.
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

Jeff White

Post by Jeff White » Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:56 am

scott anthony wrote:
ipressrecord wrote:Allen Ginsberg, after a reading at my college in 1994.
I met Allen once, was the recording engineer on an all-star gig (about a year before he passed) at St. Mark's Church. Lenny Kaye was the music director, Sonic Youth the rhythm section. I still have the mic he used on that gig...
When I met Allen, the guy in front of me in line asked him if he could read some of his original poems. Allen summoned him to sit on his lap in a sort of bizarro Santa Claus scenario. When it was my turn, I exchanged a few works with Allen while he signed my copy of "Howl!" and the guy who was in his lap read him his poetry. Awkward scenario, yet totally Allen.

Jeff

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:03 am

Eric Johnson (at the old Eugene's Guitars in Cockrell Hill, TX)

Billy Gibbons (at the Dallas guitar show back when it was in the convention center downtown)

Jeff Beck, Stevie Ray Vaughn and Terry Bozzio all at the same time (tho SRV drove up to the loading dock in a Cadillac and everyone else came off buses), they were all very pleasant and willing to talk with the fans that were hanging out.

Joe Walsh was a bit off-putting.

i once kicked Dallas Cowboy's QB Troy Aikman in the leg while rushing through first class to get seated on a flight to LA...he gave me a dirty look but didn't sue, perhaps cos i apoligised profusely and sincerely.

Eleanor Bron (Help!, Two For The Road, others) once helped me find my folks when i wandered backstage after a play in 1974...she was very pretty and very friendly and smelled nice, even after a 3 act play.

there's others, but i'm already feeling like a tedious prat here.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:05 am

man, i haven't met hardly any famous people compared to you guys.

hhmmmm...

i met michael mckeon (aka derrick st hubbins) once. he was very nice and had a beautiful lady on his arm. they asked where to get good thai food. i hooked them up.

got to hang out backstage with sonic youth once. kim gordon is gorgeous. thurston moore is like 17 feet tall. he was showing home movies on his laptop. there was one of their dtr coco standing at one end of a pool table, holding the stick like a baseball bat. a roadie-lookin' guy was at the other end whipping balls down the table, which coco would wail on and send flying across the room.

after showing the video, thurston turned to face the room, and with a proud smile on his face, said "we call that CrazyBall."

scott anthony
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by scott anthony » Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:15 am

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:michael mckeon (aka derrick st hubbins) once. he was very nice and had a beautiful lady on his arm.
Annette O'Toole?

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:33 am

well it was like 12 years ago, so memories are hazy, but yeah, may well have been her.

clintsteele
pluggin' in mics

Post by clintsteele » Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:07 am

working as a majordomo/hostess for a popular neve room in atlanta (early 1990's) resulted in a few namedroppables...

Picked up kurt cobain at ATL airport (with francis bean in tow) -as we came up the escalator he was transfixed by this gigantic tacky pulsating wall advert for a buick skylark; announced that he had to buy this car ASAP.

I ate hash browns at waffle house in atlanta with jason bonham. more than once.

in london in 1989 at a club called the mean fiddler my completely unknown band finished our set (opening for dirty strangers) and we come offstage into the tiny 8x8 dressing room and ron wood and his date are casually rolling a spliff. he apologizes (!) for invading our dressing room and gets up to leave. of course we insist that he isnt intruding and to please make himself at home; he sits back down, passes his smoke to us and chats for about 15 minutes- "youre from atlanta are you? Ive been there...." whatta nice guy.