Great gear scored on the cheap

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

b3groover
deaf.

Post by b3groover » Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:48 pm

I just got a Hammond A100 for free. For those that don't know, the A100 is exactly like a B3 only with internal speakers.

Kick ass!
www.organissimo.org
organissimo - Dedicated (new CD)
"This shitty room is making your next hit record, bitch!"

ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by ubertar » Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:12 pm

Got a Yorkville (Traynor) amp off craigslist for $20. The guy said there was something wrong with the input, but when I got it home and plugged in, it worked fine. Two channels, built in distortion, presence and reverb, 12" celestion speaker, wide variety of sounds.

79_Limited
pluggin' in mics

Post by 79_Limited » Sat Jun 02, 2007 2:43 pm

I scored a mint condition Korg SDD 3000 delay recently for $500.

Not bad considering the market on these are twice that now days.

beef_wellington
audio school graduate

Post by beef_wellington » Sat Jun 02, 2007 3:05 pm

Crane Song HEDD and Flamingo for $950. Gotta love pawn shops...Yay!

Knights Who Say Neve
buyin' a studio

Post by Knights Who Say Neve » Sat Jun 02, 2007 3:39 pm

Found a violin in the trash yesterday. It needs strings, but otherwise looks OK.
"What you're saying is, unlike all the other writers, if it was really new, you'd know it was new when you heard it, and you'd love it. <b>That's a hell of an assumption</b>". -B. Marsalis

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Sat Jun 02, 2007 5:29 pm

Knights Who Say Neve wrote:Found a violin in the trash yesterday. It needs strings, but otherwise looks OK.
DAMNNNN....!!!!

lefuquaire
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by lefuquaire » Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:21 am

i got my 16 channel allen & heath saber console from the eighties along with an otari 1/4" mx50 2 track deck for $200... ($100 each!)

the otari needed work, i just cleaned the faders a bit on the saber and it was up and running.. will probably spend a little to have it serviced when i can live without it for a few weeks.

Dubmaniac
gettin' sounds

Post by Dubmaniac » Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:31 pm

Earlier this year, I found a Maestro electric piano at a thrift store for $12. I once got a Shin-ei Univibe (yes, the original one!) for $70. What else... an Audio Technica AT4047/SV for $100, a Kay hollowbody bass guitar from the sixties for $70, and a silverface Fender Champ for $100.

As for the stuff I got for free, let's say I've been very lucky. I've been given things like an Ensoniq SQ-R+ sound module, a pair of Tannoy Reveals, and a Korg DSS-1 sampling keyboard. But my personal favorite free score came from the Cooper/Cameo movie theater here in Denver. Just before the building was to be torn down, I went over there to take pictures of the building. In the back parking lot, I found two ancient equipment racks covered in snow. In those racks, I found five Ampex tube preamps and four Ampex tube power amps, all from the early sixties! :shock: Too bad I didn't get the preamp power supplies, but hey- five free tube preamps is still not too shabby! As I type this, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers' song "Even the losers get lucky sometimes" is playing on the radio- how appropiate is that?!?

The first SM58 I ever bought cost me $80 USED- at the time, I didn't know much about audio gear (and what constitutes a good deal vs. what doesn't). I got home that afternoon and found a flyer in the mail from Musician's Friend- they were selling them for $79 BRAND NEW! Argh... but then my next two 58s only cost me $30 for both. So I figured the karmic scales were balanced after that.
"Stare with your ears"- Ken Nordine

Oldschoolwax
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Oldschoolwax » Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:03 pm

Hmmm...

1961 Ampeg B15-N Portaflex for free, used to belong to my friends mom's cheating ex-husband... well, I did have to carry it up from the basement myself, so there was
some labour involved! It did have one of the transformers changed, so no square box on one side, but hey, chrome and light up logo still look cool.

late 60's? Ampeg Gemini 22 GV-22 2x12 combo amp for $150, not the greatest deal but better than anything new I've seen for $150

1971 Ampeg VT-40 ( notice this Ampeg trend here ) $100 I love undervalued amps!

1967 Fender Princeton Reverb $20 at a garage sale. needs output transformer.

70's Smallstone in the box new with instructions $15

1992 MIJ Fender Telecaster Custom RI banged up but a great player, FREE!!! Friend found it in the back of a closet in his apartment.

Hugh box of P&G faders and VU meters and some assorted parts stripped off an old DataMix FREE ( giant box in a dumpster )

Old set of Altec dual cone 15" speakers free from the above junk pile.

That's about it for me... but I'm always scoping out the garbage piles!
~Michael

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid. ~Albert Einstein

allbaldo
pushin' record

Post by allbaldo » Mon Dec 31, 2007 7:48 pm

beef_wellington wrote:Crane Song HEDD and Flamingo for $950. Gotta love pawn shops...Yay!
Holy crap! Awesome.

thieves
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by thieves » Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:36 pm

My scores are nothing close to any of the others in this thread, but I'm proud of what I've found over the years:

Tascam porta 02 - $20 (about what it's worth, actually)

Shure sm-57 - $5

Hammond Piper Autochord Organ - $15

Acoustic Model 911 PA system w/ speakers - Free (still use the head as a power amp in my practice space)

Sony 1/4" stereo reel to reel (don't have the model number in front of me) - Free

Squier Bronco Bass - under $100 new at a guitar center of all places... It's not the best bass, but it's pretty true to fender's short scale bass history and I couldn't pass up the deal

Cojonesonasteek
gettin' sounds

Post by Cojonesonasteek » Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:06 pm

I found a 1955 tweed Bassman in a ditch along the golf course I worked at while in college. Speakers had been pulled and the obvious thief tossed it off the side of the road thinking he'd scored new car speakers. I took it home, carefully took it apart and cleaned it, and boxed up the parts so I could restore it when I got home from school. When I arrived home at Christmas in my parents' new town, I asked them where my amp was and they said, "What? That old piece of junk? We threw it out before we moved."

I did more recently find a '58 Duo-Sonic in a pawn shop for $300 and sold it for a grand.

analogcabin
buyin' gear

Post by analogcabin » Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:27 pm

I just nabbed a Sound Workshop 1280B, with 8 channels of super EQ for $300.00
Yes I'm feeling good.

xSALx
pushin' record

Post by xSALx » Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:37 am

Marshall JCM 800 1x12" $75. I love craigslist. :P
"I'd rather her sound artificial [auto tune] than sound completely drunk." As said by the producer during a long pitch shifting session.

Mradyfist
takin' a dinner break

Post by Mradyfist » Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:46 am

Someone left a Lowrey electric organ in the entryway of my studio before we moved in there, and the landlord said we could have it if we moved it. Pushing it up two flights of stairs wasn't fun, but the thing sounds pretty cool.