Favourite guitar solos...and why

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

ideaofnorth
takin' a dinner break

Post by ideaofnorth » Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:21 am

pwrb wrote:The solo on Charlie Chesterman's "Question Mark", played by Andy Pastore, always slays me. And I was there. The band had never played the song before (Charlie showed it to them in the studio) and the take that got used was the first one (later ones were more accurate but didn't have the manic energy), with Andy whipping this solo off live, as part of basic tracks. It's here:
http://www.charliechesterman.com/mp3/questionmark.mp3
Oh man. My old band Harpswell Sound played a show with Chaz & the Motorbikes, and Andy is a real monster guitarist. I think a Mustang straight into an old ampeg reverberocket II that had a belt wrapped around it to hold it together. Unbelievable sounds! I grilled him and found out he had a mosfet boost built into the guitar that he could switch on & off, but even without it, you can tell it's all in his fingers.

Here's my list of favorite guitar solos, from a year end list in 2004:

Dean Wareham "When will you come home?"
Galaxie 500, Blue Thunder lp
I read somewhere that he was never able to reproduce some of the overtones he got on this recording. Close seconds would be "Don't let our youth go to waste", or "King of spain, pt2".

Neil Young "Down by the river"
Neil Young & Crazy Horse, Everybody knows this is nowhere lp
My favorite 1-note guitar solo. Trey pointed out a close runner-up, "Vampire Blues" from On the beach.

Andy Gill "Anthrax"
Gang of Four, Entertainment! lp
This entire album contains some of my favorite recorded guitar sounds. Raw and trebly.

Jimmy Page "Fool in the rain"
Led Zepplin, In through the out door lp
MXR blue box if I'm not mistaken.

Mark Farner "Inside looking out"
Grand Funk Railroad, Grand Funk lp
This is dating both me and my dad, but I'd sometimes hear him playing this record from down the block on my way home from school, shaking the walls of our house. Excessive but enjoyable!

Jeff Tweedy "More like the moon"
Wilco, YHF bonus ep (mp3)
Beautiful nylon string lead, like a cross between Django Reinhardt and Willie Nelson.

Joe Walsh "Tend my Garden"
James Gang, James Gang rides again lp
Another favorite album of my dad's back in the day. I used to listen to the crazy stereo panning by laying on the floor in between the speakers. Some more of my favorite guitar sounds are on this album.

Graeme Downes "Joed Out"
Verlaines, Ten o'clock in the afternoon ep. Also on Juvenilia compilation cd/lp.
I don't think there's any other Verlaines recording with such a spontaneous sounding, out of time guitar break. One of the most popular of their tunes, for good reason. I could listen to the Verlaines all day.

Buddy Holly "Wishing"
Buddy Holly and the Crickets, S/T single, 1964. Also available on "The Buddy Holly Collection" and other cd comps.
Originally recorded as a demo for the Everly Brothers. Buddy played most of his own leads, and helped popularize the Fender Strat.

James Griffin "Baby I'm-a want you"
Bread, Baby I'm-a want you lp
I've always assumed this was James Griffin on the guitar break, which is tasteful and lovely like all of their hits. Sometimes that's enough.

centurymantra
buyin' a studio

Post by centurymantra » Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:28 am

ideaofnorth wrote:
Dean Wareham "When will you come home?"
Galaxie 500, Blue Thunder lp
I read somewhere that he was never able to reproduce some of the overtones he got on this recording. Close seconds would be "Don't let our youth go to waste", or "King of spain, pt2".

Neil Young "Down by the river"
Neil Young & Crazy Horse, Everybody knows this is nowhere lp
My favorite 1-note guitar solo. Trey pointed out a close runner-up, "Vampire Blues" from On the beach.
Oh yeah...! Dean Wareham - didn't even think about that one. I love his guitar work and he is certainly a purveyor of some of the most expansive, textural and tasteful guitar solos. You mentioned a couple good ones, but I also love the guitar work on "Listen, the Snow is Falling".

And a triple thumbs up on the Neil Young tune. 'Down by the River' just has the vibe.

Bryan
Shoeshine Recording Studio
"Pop music is sterile, country music is sterile. That's one of the reasons I keep going back to baseball" - Doug Sahm

ideaofnorth
takin' a dinner break

Post by ideaofnorth » Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:39 am

"Listen the snow..." is amazing, but I could list pretty much the whole g500 catalog. It's funny, both Dean & Neil Young, I feel like chops people complain about sometimes. The whole 1 note, spacious, noise approach. That said, I think Thurston Moore called "Today" his favorite guitar album of 1988, or whenever it came out.

markmeat
pushin' record

Post by markmeat » Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:03 am

"Computer Blue" by Prince... IF that's the part of the song his dad wrote (as the movie suggests) kudos to him...

MEAT
"Every fight is a food fight when you're a cannibal!"

http://thedeadlivers.bandcamp.com

Randy
tinnitus

Post by Randy » Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:12 am

I can't believe I forgot to mention "Maggot Brain" by P-Funk. Eddie Hazel's playing on that song is amazing. Once again, without the guitar part the song would make little sense.
not to worry, just keep tracking....

johnny7
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by johnny7 » Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:20 am

"Hey Bulldog" - the riff is already tough, but the solo kicks it up a notch. Feels like a rolling party.

centurymantra
buyin' a studio

Post by centurymantra » Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:54 am

Randy wrote:I can't believe I forgot to mention "Maggot Brain" by P-Funk. Eddie Hazel's playing on that song is amazing. Once again, without the guitar part the song would make little sense.
Yeah...that is pretty much the ultimate guitar solo. Although...it does beg the question - is that song for solo guitar or a song with a reeeeeall long guitar solo? :)

I read an interview with Clinton once where he made some funny comments about that song. It was one of those happy accidents in a way. I guess a couple of the other members were too stoned or something and it just wasn't happening, so Clinton said he "just faded their asses down" in the mix - or something to that effect.

Legend has it that Clinton told Mr. Hazel to play "like his mother just died". Eddie Hazel was a master.

Bryan
Shoeshine Recording Studio
"Pop music is sterile, country music is sterile. That's one of the reasons I keep going back to baseball" - Doug Sahm

scott anthony
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by scott anthony » Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:13 pm

The Loco-Motion (Grand Funk Railroad) is pretty up there for me... 'cuz it's stupid in all the right ways.

rwc
resurrected

Post by rwc » Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:41 am

Dream Theater - Scarred from 8:15

'why' is a stupid question IMO.
Real friends stab you in the front.

Oscar Wilde

Failed audio engineer & pro studio tech turned Component level motherboard repair store in New York

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:37 am

MoreSpaceEcho's shred manifesto posted in the "your first multitrack" thread.
Makes me want to pick up my pointy guitar.
http://www.rohdelikat.com/crag/fuckingwailing.mp3

mertmo
buyin' gear

Post by mertmo » Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:24 pm

I'm glad Elliot Easton was mentioned! What a badass! The solo in "shake it up" is SIMPLY RIDICULOUS! Pretty much in my top 5 of all time, hands down.

I will probably post like seven hundred more times, as I think of new ones I love.

Billy Gibbons on "blue jean blues"... insane.

I agree with the "beat it" solo by EVH. a perfect little capsule that shows off every trick he had going at that point.

Edge on "pride". the way he plays it live, hanging on to that last note of the phrase a little longer. Awesome. Just that subtle difference changes the whole solo for me. I love that he has the discipline to play those solos the same way in concert for 20+ years.

Edge once again, the soloing on "love is blindness".

I'll end with a new favorite: Thin Lizzy's "little girl in bloom". SICK!

ahh, too much fun. I'm gonna go now before I start flipping through my record collection just for this thread. :shock:

auralman
buyin' gear

Post by auralman » Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:34 pm

+1 on David Rawlings solo on just about ANYTHING. That guy is such a huge talent, if the "mainstream" ever catches on, he'll be accepting a Kennedy Center honor in his lifetime. His musicianship is off the hook.
I'm in for your mom and I'll pay.

MichaelAlan
tinnitus

Post by MichaelAlan » Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:10 am

Killer queen. I don't know why, I just love it.

Ehh...and Bright Baby Blues (which WILL be played at my funeral.) I think it's one of the Eagles who does the slide solo.
Last edited by MichaelAlan on Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
All energy flows according to the whims of the great magnet...

MichaelAlan
tinnitus

Post by MichaelAlan » Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:14 am

Also, any AmpGuy.
All energy flows according to the whims of the great magnet...

foodforthemoon
ass engineer

Post by foodforthemoon » Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:16 pm

Queen - We Will Rock You.
Fripp/Eno - Baby's on Fire.
Living Colour - Cult of Personality. I usually end up with a head injury before this one ends.
Adrian Belew - Of Bow and Drum.
Steve Hackett/Genesis - any of the outro solos for Supper's Ready on any live recording from the mid 70's.