BLUE Mouse?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Sean Sullivan
moves faders with mind

BLUE Mouse?

Post by Sean Sullivan » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:23 pm

I've been trying to rearrange my microphone cabinet as of late, and I was pretty set on a Bock/Soundelux U195, but their used value has gone up since new ones haven't shipped in 8 months (according to Atlas Pro Audio), and I'm not spending the same amount for a used one as a new one would cost.

So, I started looking at different options, and the Blue Mouse struck me as an interesting choice. I hear it makes a killer front of kick drum microphone, but how does it sound on vocals or other applications?
Still waiting for a Luna reunion

kojdogg
buyin' gear

Post by kojdogg » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:54 pm

very, very good-- i regret not holding onto mine. i'm mixing a record i recorded for a friend where we used the mouse for vocals on a couple of songs, which is adding to the sting.
i have a kiwi now which sounds great, but i really wish i had kept those mouses/mice :cry:
________
Walmart Gift Cards
Last edited by kojdogg on Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sean Sullivan
moves faders with mind

Post by Sean Sullivan » Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:08 pm

I was also considering a Kiwi/Cactus, which I'm assuming are totally different beast, but it seems once you get into their price range there are so many options. I've never tried any BLUE microphones, but it doesn't sound like anything in their line is useless, but the Mouse seems the most unique, and I'm all about that.

Well...the Dragonfly is pretty crazy too.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:25 pm

The Mouse is a totally cool mic. My favorite of all the Blue mics I've used. There's LOTS of information on it if you do a search here.

I've used it on kick drum, snare drum, floor tom, vocals, guitar amps, bass amps, keyboard amps (probably), upright bass, harmonica, and lot of acoustic string instruments like banjo and mandolin. It's a really hefty-sounding mic, very clear and masculine-sounding, if that makes any sense.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

rwc
resurrected

Post by rwc » Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:27 pm

cgarges wrote:The Mouse is a totally cool mic. My favorite of all the Blue mics I've used. There's LOTS of information on it if you do a search here.

I've used it on kick drum, snare drum, floor tom, vocals, guitar amps, bass amps, keyboard amps (probably), upright bass, harmonica, and lot of acoustic string instruments like banjo and mandolin. It's a really hefty-sounding mic, very clear and masculine-sounding, if that makes any sense.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
That's exactly how I describe AT 4050 vs the AKG C414 that doesn't have the midrange peak.
Real friends stab you in the front.

Oscar Wilde

Failed audio engineer & pro studio tech turned Component level motherboard repair store in New York

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:43 pm

To me, the 4050 and 414 don't sound anything like the Mouse. Both those mics are way flatter-sounding to my ears and have way more in common with each other than either one does with the Mouse. The Mouse has a very pronounced low-mid thing and a very forward-sounding midrange, sort of like what you would generally expect from something U47-ish. I'm not saying that the Mouse sounds like a U47, but it has that kind of character in terms of EQ, as opposed to something like a U67, C12, SM57, or 451. The Mouse is definitely bigger-sounding than the 4050 or the 414, which is sometimes great and sometimes not-so-great.

I happen to be a position where I have three 4050s, three 414s, and one Mouse available to me most of the time and they all get used a lot. The 414 and 4050 are extremely useful to me largely because of the selectable polar patterns. The Mouse is cardioid-only. I would characterize the 4050 and 414 as much more diverse mics (largely for this reason, but also because of their more neutral character), but the Mouse is a fine mic, albeit a little more specialized in terms of sound.

They're all totally great mics, though.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

Marc Alan Goodman
george martin

Post by Marc Alan Goodman » Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:05 pm

Chris has all the facts.

I'd also like to mention that having used both the blue transformerless mouses (mice?) and the black transformered ones I FAR prefer the black. It just seems to have more character.

The mouse is a great mic, and you'll most likely always find a use for it.

-marc alan goodman

nestle
re-cappin' neve

Post by nestle » Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:23 pm

I'd say you would make a great choice with the MOUSE.

On my voice it's close to if not my favorite mic.
I lives on bass amp. It's odd but it sounds great through a old Mackie pre straight out to a LA4 then to tape, just a great big meaty present sound, and it takes big level too.

For LDC I have the

MOUSE
baby bottle
U47 Dave Thomas clone
and the MC 012 RED caps

All very useful but the top 3 would be the Mouse, 4047, and the U47
which makes sense considering the previous comments about it being voiced like a 47 so I guess I like that thicker sound alot.

It's an awsome mic.
Here is a few thoughts before you pull the trigger. I couldn't say if the new ones sound like the older Latvian versions, I've heard it's a little bit of a pre CBS type thing. The build and metal work looks different to me. It's total hear say but maybe a Violet globe? A used one might be a better investment, I'm just slinging hash around, but as far as the Baby bottle they did change the build on that one.
Also I've heard about the Sound deluxe mic's that they use BLUE caps anyway (which is fine, why not? they sound great) and that some of those U195's had QC issues but a vocal session I just mixed had used one and it sounded great.

Also HOT TIP I just snagged a great MXL shock on Ebay for 9 bucks that works great on the MOUSE which means more vocal work for that mic soon.

[/i]

Sean Sullivan
moves faders with mind

Post by Sean Sullivan » Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:09 am

Hmm, the transformer version seems a lot harder to come by at a decent price. Someone is offering me a Blue Mouse, transformerless version, with Blue Pop Screen for $650 shipped. Should I take it?

xSALx
pushin' record

Post by xSALx » Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:35 am

minorleagues wrote:Hmm, the transformer version seems a lot harder to come by at a decent price. Someone is offering me a Blue Mouse, transformerless version, with Blue Pop Screen for $650 shipped. Should I take it?
Sounds like a pretty good deal to me. You can always sell it for the same price if you don't dig it.
"I'd rather her sound artificial [auto tune] than sound completely drunk." As said by the producer during a long pitch shifting session.

Sean Sullivan
moves faders with mind

Post by Sean Sullivan » Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:36 am

xSALx wrote:Sounds like a pretty good deal to me. You can always sell it for the same price if you don't dig it.
True true. But, if the transformer version is way better I'd rather hold out and see if can find one.

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:29 pm

minorleagues wrote:
xSALx wrote:Sounds like a pretty good deal to me. You can always sell it for the same price if you don't dig it.
True true. But, if the transformer version is way better I'd rather hold out and see if can find one.
there was a brief period when i was considering a mouse and i regularly saw the transformer ones used on forums and ebay for 650-700. if you hold out a bit, you'll come across one for a good price.

-ryan
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

T-rex
dead but not forgotten

Post by T-rex » Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:18 am

Yeah dude, I bought a transformer version off of gearslutz for $650 a few months ago. Hold out and you can find one.

Amazing mic. Personally I find it to be voiced brighter than most people would categorize it, but it's great on everything everyone has mentioned so far. Also amazing on Acoustic guitars, especially cheap boxy sounding one. Carries all the weight withouth sounding boxy and puts a nice sparkle on the top end without sounding fizzy, if that makes any sense. . .
[Asked whether his shades are prescription or just to look cool]
Guy: Well, I am the drummer.

Meriphew
deaf.

Post by Meriphew » Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:36 am

nestle wrote: Also I've heard about the Sound deluxe mic's that they use BLUE caps anyway
I don't think that is/was the case.

Bear's Gone Fission
gettin' sounds

Post by Bear's Gone Fission » Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:52 pm

I'm pretty sure it was the case that Soundelux was using Blue capsules early on for the U95s and U99, though possibly switched by the end of their runs. More to a mic than the capsule, of course.

Bear
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.