Speaker recommendations for Bandmaster 212 cab?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

j_howell
pushin' record

Speaker recommendations for Bandmaster 212 cab?

Post by j_howell » Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:55 pm

Have a BF Bandmaster 212, empty, and a matching BF Bandmaster head. Any recommendations for 8 ohm 12" guitar speakers, anyone?

Was entertaining the idea of stuffing it with Celestion Alnico blues, but they may not handle enough power at 15W apiece (considering the 45ish W output of the BM) and are stupid expensive. Anybody out there tried these with a Bandmaster? Or have any suggestions for something else, opinions about the new Jensens of late, etc?
I like pie.

j_howell
pushin' record

also...

Post by j_howell » Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:57 pm

Hopefully won't need to replace the speaker, but I also have a Gibson GA-8T that's my favourite amp ever, and might (knock on wood) need its original Jensen 12 reconed or replaced...likewise, anybody tried a Celestion Blue in one of these or something comparable?
I like pie.

roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Post by roscoenyc » Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:10 pm

these are great for that cabinet.
I love the new ones.

http://www.jensenvintage.com/p12r.htm

j_howell
pushin' record

Post by j_howell » Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:10 pm

Yeah...those seem cool and not too expensive. And probably close to what was originally in there...
I like pie.

swelle
takin' a dinner break

Post by swelle » Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:02 pm

I have no ear for speakers... I use Eminence almost exclusively and they sound fantastic at $39 bucks a pop. Old Fender amps came with cheap production speakers, so I use the modern equivalent.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:01 pm

another vote for Jensen!
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

Max
takin' a dinner break

Post by Max » Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:03 am

I have I BF Bandmaster and play it through a 2x12" with Celestion G12M Greenbacks. It's not the typical BF sound but it sounds alright..
As far as I know BF cabs weren't loaded with alnico speaker. Looking at the new Jensens, the closest match to the original '60s speakers might be a C12Q:
http://www.jensenvintage.com/c12q.htm
I put a Jensen P10R in my Fender Pro Junior and think that it sounds really nice.
I was thinking about replacing the Celestions in my 2x12" with two of Ted Weber's speakers. https://taweber.powweb.com/weber/
Unfortunately they don't have a distribution here in Germany.
I'm sure two Weber 12F125A would sound pretty good in your cab and would give you a very authentic BF sound.

Joe P.
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Joe P. » Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:30 pm

I'll vouch for the Jensen P12R's. I've had a pair in my 2x12 for a few years now. I play a Bassman head through them. They're solid, good sounding speakers.

bluesman
re-cappin' neve

Post by bluesman » Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:29 pm

IMO the C12Q sounds best in a closed back cab, the P12Q sounds best in an open back.
"The digital future sucks the boils off my white ass." McHugh

j_howell
pushin' record

Post by j_howell » Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:53 pm

which reminds me...I might add that the back was removed from the cab when I got it, and I don't have it now....which was one of my concerns with the idea of the Celestion blues...not having the "cushion" of air a closed-back cab might provide.

Should also mention that, while I'll be using said cab with the Bandmaster most of the time, it's not the only head I'd be using this cab with. And while I do realize that the original speakers were probably CTS or Utah ceramics, I'm thinking Alnico might be the way to go...or not? I dunno. Seems like lots of choices out there, and it's hard to objectively test them all in advance.,,
I like pie.

A-Barr
tinnitus

Post by A-Barr » Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:39 pm

I think they make a 50 watt "blue" now.

roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Post by roscoenyc » Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:26 am

j_howell wrote:which reminds me...I might add that the back was removed from the cab when I got it, and I don't have it now.
make a simple plywood back for the cabinet.

j_howell
pushin' record

Post by j_howell » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:05 pm

That was my plan. Though I actually liked it without the back, when it had the Peavey speakers that used to be in it when I got it...actually, despite being much maligned, the Peaveys really weren't that bad.
I like pie.

runrunrun
re-cappin' neve

Post by runrunrun » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:53 pm

i am very happy with my weber 12F150 in a fender musicmaster bass amp (used for guitar). i emailed ted and described what i was looking for, he recommended this one, and its great.

themagicmanmdt
george martin

Post by themagicmanmdt » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:51 pm

so, my amps that i love to personally play are the 20-40W fenders. pro reverb, super reverb, bandmaster, bassman - to me, amazing sounding amps.

i've used and heard lots of combinations, and my favorites:

celestion vintage 30's are very clear, but add a lot of low end, which is nice if you want to balance the twang and sparkle and give the guitar more weight to throw around in the mix.

i really love the reissue Jensens. they pop the amps back into life. i've got a '66 pro reverb powering both 2 12" p12q's that date to '59 (a crazy cheap eBay score for the speakers) and although they're flawless, I love how balanced and clear and wonderful a 2x10" tremolux design cabinet with two c10's in them.

back in the day I had a twin with the c12n's, and it was the epitome of the twin sound. fantastic.

the reissue alnicos from jensen are nice, too. all that jensen stuff is amazing.

i don't like eminence at all, and webers sound too sterile to me. jensens bring out a little more 'roughness' and pristine, whereas webers would be nice for recording, those jensens are crazy beasts and sound very 'fender' with a fender, you know?

but if you want some balls, those celestion v30's are wonderful too.
we are the village green
preservation society
god bless +6 tape
valves and serviceability

*chief tech and R&D shaman at shadow hills industries*