TOMB Neil Diamond Comp...

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

mikeyc
buyin' gear

Post by mikeyc » Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:30 pm

OK, I'm taking "Play Me."
Although "I am the Lion" and "Brother Love's Travelling Salvation Show" are calling me like Sirens...

How does 12AM May 1 sound for a deadline? I don't want to drag it out, but my second child will be here in March and I'm still putting my space together. If we can all get our stuff in by then, hopefully someone would be gracious enough to compile/master/host the comp by June 1?

Smitty
tinnitus

Post by Smitty » Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:35 pm

rushofblood wrote:
Smitty wrote:i'm down. dibs on "Out On The Weekend."
teh diamond not teh young?
:oops: oh goodness. sorry, i've spent 32 hours on planes in the past two days and i'm severely jet lagged. and kinda dumb.
"I try to hate all my gear equally at all times to keep the balance of power in my favor." - Brad Sucks

rushofblood
pushin' record

Post by rushofblood » Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:06 pm

i think i want desiree

rushofblood
pushin' record

Post by rushofblood » Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:21 pm

or solitary man

JASIII
george martin

Post by JASIII » Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:48 pm

Johnny Cash did such a kick ass version of Solitary Man I couldn't bring myself to try it.
"If you will starve unless you become a rock star, then you have bigger problems than whether or not you are a rock star. " - Steve Albini

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:22 pm

I'm bumping this thread out of this forum because it really belongs in the other Listening forum.

I will put my vote in for "lame," though, since none of these have ever been finished.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

MichaelAlan
tinnitus

Post by MichaelAlan » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:16 pm

JASIII wrote:Johnny Cash did such a kick ass version of Solitary Man I couldn't bring myself to try it.
Ya why bother.

I would rock amazed and confused.

Mike
All energy flows according to the whims of the great magnet...

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:58 am

Ok, I'm definitely in for "America". I approached my new bandmates - we're sort of an instrumental Calexico-ish thing - and said I had the most impossible song for us to cover. I think we're gonna try open it up and maybe have a trumpet or melodica play the vocal melody. Should be wierd.

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:06 am

mjau wrote:Ok, I'm definitely in for "America". I approached my new bandmates - we're sort of an instrumental Calexico-ish thing - and said I had the most impossible song for us to cover. I think we're gonna try open it up and maybe have a trumpet or melodica play the vocal melody. Should be wierd.
The weirdest thing, of course, would be an attempt to exactly duplicate the sound of the original. Still, godspeed to ya.

mikeyc
buyin' gear

Post by mikeyc » Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:18 am

cgarges wrote:I'm bumping this thread out of this forum because it really belongs in the other Listening forum.

I will put my vote in for "lame," though, since none of these have ever been finished.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

Neil might have the magic to make us actually finish this one. Just you wait!

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:44 am

mikeyc wrote:
cgarges wrote:I'm bumping this thread out of this forum because it really belongs in the other Listening forum.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

Neil might have the magic to make us actually finish this one. Just you wait!
nah, the haters and the nay-sayers are right.

*throws up hands and stalks off*
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

Electricide
dead but not forgotten

Post by Electricide » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:54 am

how about: you try to finish the comp before Neil Diamond dies.

JASIII
george martin

Post by JASIII » Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:46 am

"Who" are we submitting this stuff to? Mine could be done as early as next week sometime.
"If you will starve unless you become a rock star, then you have bigger problems than whether or not you are a rock star. " - Steve Albini

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:59 am

I think these collaborations are all perfect for yousendit.com - some of us are reluctant for ethical and/or legal reasons to fileshare anything that might possibly be copyrighted, but the files have to be shared one way or another. Legally, yousendit.com seems to be a pretty safe way to transfer a zipped folder between people (ethically, though? That depends on our individual consciences).

scott macdonald
takin' a dinner break

Post by scott macdonald » Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:24 am

We're about one third of the way done with our cover of Forever in Blue Jeans. It's sounding badass, but the downside to all this is that you have the same Neil Diamond song stuck in your heads for weeks.