UA 2108

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

chris harris
speech impediment

UA 2108

Post by chris harris » Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:03 pm

Someone please tell me what's so great about these things. I've used them for drum overheads (with m930 mics), hats, bottom snare and outside kick. I've just never been excited to plug into them. But, apparently lots of people are crazy for them. What am I missing?

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:16 pm

you're missing their personal taste in gear I guess..

the 1108 amp is similar to the 1176's amp which some say is THE sound of rock and roll..I guess that might explain the enthusiasm somewhat..

tommy
steve albini likes it

Post by tommy » Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:23 pm

Someone please tell me what's so great about these things. I've used them for drum overheads (with m930 mics), hats, bottom snare and outside kick. I've just never been excited to plug into them. But, apparently lots of people are crazy for them. What am I missing?
Your not missing anything. If you dont like the amp, you dont like the amp.
A lot of my friends like Modest Mouse but none of them are ever going to convince me that I should like Modest Mouse no matter what. It's all subjective. Music and sound that is...

weatherbox
re-cappin' neve

Post by weatherbox » Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:49 pm

I've had one for five or six years. It think it doesn't push a character as hard as a Telefunken, Altec, or Neve style pre, but it works really well on lots of things and can adapt into a lot of different sounds with gain changes and the impedance switch. It's not "sterile" at all, it's just less overt than a lot of other stuff. Most of the time I run the input low and crank the output with the imp. set wherever it works best for the track, but driving the input it distorts in a way that I find more pleasing than pretty much all my other preamps. I did notice you used it all the places I always go for something else... but different songs, different rooms, different tastes.

I really love it on toms, and when I do simpler drum setups I'll often use it for the top snare and inside kick as I *know* I'll be able to lean heavily on those two tracks with the 2108 and decent micing. I'm not wild about it on overheads, but I like more character-heavy, colored pres on overs. Use it a lot for (non-solo) acoustic guitars, electric bass, and bells/vibes as well.

mwingerski
pushin' record

Post by mwingerski » Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:44 pm

We have 8 channels of them at the studio here and I think they sound really great on drums. Very fast transient response, similar to some API pres without as much of the growl that they can get.

They also have a really well designed power supply that makes them extremely quiet.

T-rex
dead but not forgotten

Post by T-rex » Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:37 pm

They were going to be my first set of nice pre's and right as I was close to buying, they discontinued them. :(

Although, the discontinued thing always makes something more sought after too though.
[Asked whether his shades are prescription or just to look cool]
Guy: Well, I am the drummer.

Coco
re-cappin' neve

Post by Coco » Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:42 pm

I really like them and deinitely would not complain if I had 24 channels of them. I only have 6 channels but it covers a kit nicely, which is why I bought them. I think they are great on drums. I also really like them on electric guitars as well, DI for keys is great and one can dial in vibe for days by cranking the input. I really like the 2108.

There is some cool factor and increased desireability since they are discontinued. Reason for being discontinued is UA said the 2108 cost them too much to make. Take a look inside as there is a lot of high quality parts in there.
I know enough to know that I don't know what I am doing.

Generals and Majors http://www.myspace.com/generalsandmajors

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:58 pm

I had one on loan for a while but passed on it because it sounded too close to my McCurdy PE2600 and was almost 100x the price. It sounded really good though.

Ryan Silva
tinnitus

Post by Ryan Silva » Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:27 pm

Are these the same design more or less?

"Writing good songs is hard. recording is easy. "

MoreSpaceEcho

jc_terrones
gettin' sounds

Post by jc_terrones » Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:04 pm

Damn money problems made me liquidate my 2108 here a few years ago. Worst decision I ever made.

I loved the pres on kick and snare mostly. I also had really good luck using them on keyboards(di) and guitar amps too.

mwingerski
pushin' record

Post by mwingerski » Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:12 pm

the 4110 (pictured above) is a totally different pre. I don't really dig it quite as much as the 2108. (We have a set of those here at the studio too...and I find myself using the 4110's a lot less than the 2108)

The 4110 has some extra features, like a voicing switch, which is cool and it changes the character a lot. But I think the 2108 has better response and is better when you need more attack transients (kick and snare in particular). It's super fast.

Ryan Silva
tinnitus

Post by Ryan Silva » Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:25 pm

mwingerski wrote:the 4110 (pictured above) is a totally different pre. I don't really dig it quite as much as the 2108. (We have a set of those here at the studio too...and I find myself using the 4110's a lot less than the 2108)

The 4110 has some extra features, like a voicing switch, which is cool and it changes the character a lot. But I think the 2108 has better response and is better when you need more attack transients (kick and snare in particular). It's super fast.
So what the hell? Why did they discontinue them?

MoreSpaceEcho

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:32 pm

Ryan Silva wrote:
mwingerski wrote:the 4110 (pictured above) is a totally different pre. I don't really dig it quite as much as the 2108. (We have a set of those here at the studio too...and I find myself using the 4110's a lot less than the 2108)

So what the hell? Why did they discontinue them?
the answerto 9 out of 10 questions is money..

calaverasgrandes
ghost haunting audio students

Post by calaverasgrandes » Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:43 pm

looks like they dont sell the single channel rackmount 610 anymore. Just the lunchbox version. They also still havent come out with that monitor managment system they were promising at AES a year and a half ago. It was supposed to look like/complement the DCS.
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."

Ryan Silva
tinnitus

Post by Ryan Silva » Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:51 pm

calaverasgrandes wrote:looks like they dont sell the single channel rackmount 610 anymore. Just the lunchbox version.
Do you mean no 'M610' being sold?

And by 'Lunchbox' do you mean the 610 solo?

MoreSpaceEcho