TOMB compilation of Low songs

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

centurymantra
buyin' a studio

TOMB compilation of Low songs

Post by centurymantra » Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:58 pm

OK...with great trepidation I post this after seeing the running commentary on lack of completion for previously attempted compilations.
I was working with a few friends doing a low-key (pun intended) project of Low cover tunes - all acoustic (except for electric bass). We intended to do 9 or 10 tunes, but ended up (barely) doing four due to two people moving out of state.
It was suggested by someone else that a TOMB Low compilation would be a cool thing, and I'd have to agree. It also would sort of actualize my original idea by providing a more complete collection of tunes rather than an "EP" sized project as it exists now.
If there is interest in this, let me know and tell me what song you'd want to cover. My original notion was to keep things acoustic and I'm not going to dictate this as a comp requirement, but keep in mind that an acoustically inclined cover (maybe a nice acoustic/electric mix - kind of like Ida) would be a noble aspiration.

OK...I can pretty much promise you that something will happen on this as I have four songs tracked and currently in the process of being mixed. These were already slated to be assembled into a neat mini package (even threatened to do a 7" record) prior to my notion of putting together a TOMB comp of Low songs. I also have recruited a friend of mine to do a nice letterpress package for the final product, which should lend it a nice 'cultural artifact' quality. That being said, I'd be totally into making it a more comprehensive disc and would be willing to add songs to and organize the project...if there's enough interest. I'd probably place some kind of timeline on it...though it wouldn't be anything too severe.

At any rate...if there's any interest, pass it along!

Bryan
Shoeshine Recording Studio
"Pop music is sterile, country music is sterile. That's one of the reasons I keep going back to baseball" - Doug Sahm

Nate Dort
tinnitus

Post by Nate Dort » Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:34 pm

I'm definitely down. I'll probably do "Violent Past", but if that doesn't work then I'll do "Silver Rider". Or maybe both. I'm waiting for funds to start renovating the studio, so I need something to keep me busy this weekend while the wife is out of town. Maybe I'll have her sing backup when she gets back.

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:40 pm

Okay, I'll do "Breaker"

centurymantra
buyin' a studio

Post by centurymantra » Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:50 pm

nate wrote:I'm definitely down. I'll probably do "Violent Past", but if that doesn't work then I'll do "Silver Rider". Or maybe both. I'm waiting for funds to start renovating the studio, so I need something to keep me busy this weekend while the wife is out of town. Maybe I'll have her sing backup when she gets back.
Sounds good...nice to see some representation off the new record. I forgot to mention that the tunes we did were "Laser Beam", "Words", "Sunflower", and "Venus". That's esp. cool if you can recruit your wife for vocals to bring that Low-style harmony vox vibe to the mix. This is something we did as well. Keep me posted, and definitely feel free to put together two songs if the inspiration and motivation strike you.

Bryan
"Pop music is sterile, country music is sterile. That's one of the reasons I keep going back to baseball" - Doug Sahm

thethingwiththestuff
george martin

Post by thethingwiththestuff » Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:58 pm

oh man, i want in!

"little argument with myself" perhaps?

andris
gettin' sounds

Post by andris » Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:24 pm

I've got a version of "when I go deaf" that I'd like to throw in.
dryhill studios
oneonta ny

darjama
tinnitus

Post by darjama » Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:32 pm

I was hoping no one had taken sunflower, oh well.

I'd do Broadway if there's space.

centurymantra
buyin' a studio

Post by centurymantra » Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:57 am

Nice to see some interest in the project...I'll plan on sending off some messages and/or e-mails to folks that have replied here to keep in touch.

In the meantime, anyone who wants to chime in on this thread with song picks, general discussion about the idea, etc. - please feel free to do so.

Cheers!

Bryan

curtiswyant
re-cappin' neve

Post by curtiswyant » Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:12 am

When's the last time we did a comp of TOMBer's original songs? Not to poo-poo on your project but that might be fun as well!

charlievela
gettin' sounds

Post by charlievela » Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:13 am

jeez, it's hard to pick one song. But put me down for "In Metal"
Last edited by charlievela on Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

centurymantra
buyin' a studio

Post by centurymantra » Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:26 am

charlievela wrote:jeez, it's hard to pick one song. But put be down for "In Metal"
Awesome...I almost put out a personal request for someone to please do that song. One of my very favorite Low songs. I just love the vibe of Mimi's vocals on that tune. We started to work on that before we had to cut the project short. I remember Lindsay, our female vocalist, was really working on getting that high wavering harmony in the chorus and kinda had it nailed. We were even going to cheat a little on our acoustic formula and use some electric guitar on that one.

Good to see someone else having a go at the tune.

Bryan

;ivlunsdystf

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:49 am

curtiswyant wrote:When's the last time we did a comp of TOMBer's original songs? Not to poo-poo on your project but that might be fun as well!
I'd be into that if we set up a song exchange, ie make people do each other's songs. For now though I say let's try to actually finish one of the FOUR compilations we already have going.

centurymantra
buyin' a studio

Post by centurymantra » Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:14 am

Tatertot wrote:
curtiswyant wrote:When's the last time we did a comp of TOMBer's original songs? Not to poo-poo on your project but that might be fun as well!
I'd be into that if we set up a song exchange, ie make people do each other's songs. For now though I say let's try to actually finish one of the FOUR compilations we already have going.
*buckles belt, buttons up shirt - becomes determined to follow through on this one*

Bryan

;ivlunsdystf

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:40 am

centurymantra wrote:
Tatertot wrote:
*buckles belt, buttons up shirt - becomes determined to follow through on this one*
Chimes in with emphatic Howard Dean-in-Iowa-style war whoop YEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

helmuth
steve albini likes it

Post by helmuth » Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:57 am

Too bad it was acoustic only, otherwise I'd allready had it covered...

http://eskimo.creotia.com/Alp_-_Just_like_christmas.mp3