Studer B67...no more counter, and bad smell

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Studer B67...no more counter, and bad smell

Post by inverseroom » Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:52 pm

Uh oh. The digital counter is gone from my B67 and there's a musty, acrid smell coming from it. Bummer. Everything else works perfectly, though.

I first thought I had messed things up by rechipping--I was dropping those LM "5534 killers" Jim Williams recommended into the repro cards, and I noticed the missing digits when I switched back on. But I'm fairly convinced now that they're not necessarily related. The new chips work great, and there's a little less hiss from playback...I just can't count!

Anybody know where to look for the blown fuse/cap/chip/whatever?

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:47 pm

What was the point of re-chipping? Did you not like the sound of the deck?

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:55 pm

Not knowing what you altered on the deck, I'd be careful putting in new components.

Anyhow, this guy should have what you need:

http://stores.ebay.com/BlackReel-Audio- ... QpZ3QQtZkm

JASIII
george martin

Post by JASIII » Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:55 pm

Dude...fucking for real. Are you gonna help answer the question or just be a distraction? Stick to starting pointless threads in people skills.....
"If you will starve unless you become a rock star, then you have bigger problems than whether or not you are a rock star. " - Steve Albini

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:56 pm

Just trying to lower the noise floor a bit...saw there were 5534's in there...knew there was a drop-in "upgrade"...thought I'd give it a whirl. I have an MRL tape on the way as well.

This deck is super clean but hadn't been used for a long, long time before I bought it. Stuff started burning out right away...a few lamps...so I've been gradually recapping. Haven't done the power supply yet because it's a PITA to get there, as the deck is installed in a rolling cart and is heavy as hell. Overall it sounds good though.

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:59 pm

BTW thanks for the link. But I have to know what I need before I can replace it. I'm hoping somebody will be like "oh yeah the weltschmerz regulator goes out on those things all the time."

JohnDavisNYC
ghost haunting audio students

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:59 pm

well, if it makes you feel better, the counter on my a810 is dead, too! same design... must have been a design flaw, which is rare for those crafty swiss...

john
i like to make music with music and stuff and things.

http://www.thebunkerstudio.com/

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:13 pm

:lol: So how long have you been using it that way?

JohnDavisNYC
ghost haunting audio students

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:29 pm

3 years

j
i like to make music with music and stuff and things.

http://www.thebunkerstudio.com/

nclayton
steve albini likes it

Post by nclayton » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:48 am

I'm not specifically familiar with that recorder, but I'll say one or two things. That's an LED counter, so like with any LED there's probably going to be a resistor in series with each segment of each number. but sometimes with LED digital readouts they also put a single resistor in series with ALL the segments, so as more and more segments light (for a number like 88888 as opposed to 11111) the current doesn't multiply as much as you'd expect -- it slightly dims the overall brightness in order to keep current under control.

Since you've got a bad smell, and it sounds like nothing on the readout is lighting up, I'm guessing it might be a resistor like that. It's probably pretty close to the LED panel, and probably (but not definitely) blackish brownish.

Obviously that's just one possibility, but I think it's a pretty good one. Based on the age of the machine, if it uses dedicated LED driver chips I guess they wouldn't take more than an 8 bit input, so it would probably have a few of them, each one driving a couple of digits. If one of them was bad maybe only a couple of digits would be out.