@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

I'm not in EQ!

Post by @?,*???&? » Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:50 pm

Just wanted to this one out there...

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:54 pm

I got quoted in a Furman ad once. They must have been hard up.

I should mention that in addition to not being in EQ, I am also not in Mix, Electronic Musician or...TapeOp.

If R/E/P was still in business I likely wouldn't be in there either.

That is all.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:04 pm

After reading the December issue today, my faith in that magazine is totally restored. Well, at least partially restored.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:05 pm

someone claiming to be from Guitar Player magazine wanted to interview me back in the early/mid 90s until they discovered my band had broken up and i was in psychiatric counselling and living in a van.

maybe they changed their mind cos the van was parked behind a Kroger and not down by the river?
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:06 pm

cgarges wrote:After reading the December issue today, my faith in that magazine is totally restored. Well, at least partially restored.
it's a heckuva lot better than it used to be, that's for certain.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

fossiltooth
carpal tunnel

Post by fossiltooth » Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:06 pm

dwlb wrote: If R/E/P was still in business I likely wouldn't be in there either.
Ha!

How about "Musician"? Anybody remember that one?

It was the only "general interest" music/recording magazine of its time. They had artist's home studios on the back page of each issue.

Not in there either? Me neither.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:12 pm

"Musicians" was a GREAT magazine. I had a subscription for several years and I still have most of those old issues. They did one of the first George Harrison interviews in YEARS. They covered the Tom Scholtz lawsuits. They interviewed Manfred Eischer and that wasn't in the special "producer feature" issue. The infamous Bill Milkowski Jaco Pastorius memorial was published in that magazine. They reviewed cool albums and had interesting ads. Lots of good stuff in there.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

fossiltooth
carpal tunnel

Post by fossiltooth » Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:50 pm

cgarges wrote:"Musicians" was a GREAT magazine. I had a subscription for several years and I still have most of those old issues.
Yeah, I've got some old ones too, but not as many as I'd like.

I still have the one where they took a look at the home studio of Mark Sandman (of Morphine). I remember he had a Tascam 688, cassette 8-track, and one of the songs recorded on it ended up on one of their albums at some point.

In some ways, it was almost like a proto-tape op, as it wasn't focused on any particular style of music, and it could be enjoyed by musicians and recordists alike.
Last edited by fossiltooth on Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:11 pm

i was pretty shocked when it vanished without warning in...was it '97 or '98?

at any rate, when my future wife and i moved to the US from NZ the mag was gone from the stands.

then, when we moved house again in early 2001, i ditched all my copies (D'OH!) except for a Suzanne Vega issue from '90.

did anyone here used to get a magazine called Music+Sound Output?

Gorilla
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by Gorilla » Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:53 am

I'd loved that magazine, and I think I have a stack from the mid 90's somewhere.

Three things I distinctly remember from Musician.

1. Lots of home studios with adats
2. A picture of Ween's home studio that appeared to have a guitar hooked up to a sega genesis and then to a tascam cassette 4 track and that they recorded a vocal with a wireless mic from the trunk of their car.
3. Their prediction in a "New British Invasion" issue that the band who did that Creep song would be huge... I thought this was insane at the time... of course I also believe they thought a lot of Ned's Atomic Dustbin and the two bass player format.
Gorilla

fossiltooth
carpal tunnel

Post by fossiltooth » Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:27 am

Gorilla wrote: 3. Their prediction in a "New British Invasion" issue that the band who did that Creep song would be huge... I thought this was insane at the time... of course I also believe they thought a lot of Ned's Atomic Dustbin and the two bass player format.
:rofl:

Ha! You win some, you lose some.

Thanks for the accurate recapp of the magazine. I've just been warped back to my early High School days of reading it on the school bus on the rare occasions that I actually woke up early enough to catch the school bus.

Ah, nostalgia.
Last edited by fossiltooth on Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:18 am

Before Pitchfork.com there was a magazine published in Santa Monice called 'Option' that was GREAT for independent alternative music. Glossy cover too. reviewed alot of non-major label music. That went under at the end of the 90's as well.

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:54 am

How many times is Jeff going to change his TOMB handle anyway?

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:20 pm

35?

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:35 pm

Sorry.