TOMB Beach Boys Comp Comment Thread

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:17 pm

Jay - the vocals on "I Wanna Pick You Up" are fantastic. I love the kids' vocals, too.

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:37 pm

Let Him Run Wild is marvelous-sounding, as are many of the others.

*vows to not treat next TOMB compilation like a Dr. Demento recording contest*

jrsgodfrey
re-cappin' neve

Post by jrsgodfrey » Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:51 pm

Thanks, Scott.

I've been getting good results recording acoustic and vox together and just balancing myself. I've got the Chameleon Labs pencil mic body for the Red B7 now, and it's that much nicer.

Now that I know you re-amped, my initial query -- months ago -- about hardware/software makes sense.

By the way, your track sounds great loud, pumping the subs.

A dub version?

tenchijin2.
alignin' 24-trk

Post by tenchijin2. » Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:02 pm

Tatertot wrote:Let Him Run Wild is marvelous-sounding, as are many of the others.
Thank you, that means a lot.

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:37 am

jrsgodfrey wrote:Now that I know you re-amped, my initial query -- months ago -- about hardware/software makes sense.
Yeah, I almost always reamp soft synths. The arturia moog modular through a light overdrive into a small tube amp...presto.

So the RED caps work on the CL pencil mic body? I didn't know that, but it makes the CL that much more attractive.

jrsgodfrey
re-cappin' neve

Post by jrsgodfrey » Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:02 am

So the RED caps work on the CL pencil mic body?
Sort of. CL sells an AKG compatible thread adapter, but the Blue/Red caps' contact pins are too short. I had to have Blue modify the B7.

Johnny B
pushin' record

Post by Johnny B » Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:52 pm

This whole thing is fantastic. I've listened to it several times now. I'm loading it on the ipod right now...

To continue the process thread, Pet Sounds was mostly recorded in my (former) band's practice space, except the bass and one or two of the guitars, which were recorded in my (old) apartment.

Bass was recorded first to a click in my apartment, straight into Adobe Audition. I sent the tracks to my DA-38 and did the rest to that at the practice space.

Drum set is a Yamaha Stage Custom. Mics were e602 on the kick, 57 on the snare, AT 2020s overhead. Guitar was my Japanese Tele with all the switches and a Peavey Classic 50. Flanger was an old DOD I've had since high school.

Mix was in Adobe Audition. The echo plugins were done by this dub guy (The Interrupter).

tenchijin2.
alignin' 24-trk

Post by tenchijin2. » Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:31 pm

It's been so long since i tracked these that I wanted to go back and hear what exactly I did.

So the result is that I ended up making an instrumental mix and a vocal mix for each of the two that I did.

This kind of thing always intrigues me, so I hope this self-indulgence is appreciated by a few others as well:
This Whole World
instrumental
www.junglenoisestudio.com/songs/twwinstruments.mp3
vocals
www.junglenoisestudio.com/songs/twwvocals.mp3

Let Him Run Wild
instrumental
www.junglenoisestudio.com/songs/lhrwinstruments.mp3
vocals
www.junglenoisestudio.com/songs/lhrwvocals.mp3