Suggestions to making this sound bigger

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

CDB Studios
takin' a dinner break

Suggestions to making this sound bigger

Post by CDB Studios » Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:21 pm

What would you suggest to make this sound bigger? Or would you leave it?

http://www.filefreak.com/pfiles/47767/0 ... Jimmie.mp3

Thanks,

Zach
The damn 16 track 2" Ampex mm1100 is on the fritz, again!!! But I do love me some tape.

It's my love-hate relationship

arbitropia
audio school graduate

Post by arbitropia » Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:07 pm

Rhythm guitar on the verses (or whatever you'd call the section that starts the song and repeats throughout) could perhaps be louder and a little more aggressive-sounding relative to the drums. Just a thought.

CDB Studios
takin' a dinner break

Post by CDB Studios » Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:21 am

Thanks Arbitropia!

I'll see what I can do.

Anyone else?

-Z
The damn 16 track 2" Ampex mm1100 is on the fritz, again!!! But I do love me some tape.

It's my love-hate relationship

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:51 pm

I'm gonna second the making the riff louder. Not much else seems to be going on there that would conflict with it. I'd ride volume on it, and bring it back down a little when you add another element.

The winds sound lovely. It kind of reminds me of a cross between early Meat Puppets and the Specials -- a good thing.

Corey Y
re-cappin' neve

Post by Corey Y » Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:59 pm

+1 for bringing the guitar up in the mix on that "verse" part. Where the horns kick in and on the solo it sounds right on. The guitar is carrying the melody in that first part but it's not really commanding much attention in the mix. I would make some more suggestions about eq on the guitar there, but I can't trust my speakers at work. Although the guitar there does seem a little muddy there, I'd like to hear a bit more high end on it.

I think you could go with adjusting the level and be fine though, anything else is probably just my taste creeping in, heh.