Off topic / DVD burners on new computer taking forever. (PC)

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

cyantologist
gettin' sounds

Off topic / DVD burners on new computer taking forever. (PC)

Post by cyantologist » Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:16 am

Sorry, I know this isn't directly related to recording. I know that there are a lot of smart people on here though, so I thought it wouldn't hurt to try.

I recently put together a new computer based on an intel core 2 duo and asus motherboard. 2gb ram running in dual-channel. I'm using the 380watt power supply that came with my antec case and I have two higher end asus dvd/rw drives connected via sata.

I use nero to burn to dvd at 16x. When I try the "use multiple recorders" option to burn two dvds at the same time, it takes way longer than it should. About 15 minutes although it says it's burning at 16x. I know it can do better as the same operation takes about 6:45 on my other computer.

I know I'm grasping at straws, but just thought someone might be able to help.

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:09 pm

You'll probably have better luck if you do them one at a time, serially. Two DVDs worth of data is a lot higher bandwidth than you think it is. Granted that they're same data, but you're doing two separate reads of the files, and subsequent data transmission to two different devices, probably over the same buss, depending on the architecture of your disk interface.

How well do you gather data when watching TV and reading the paper simultaneously? How does that compare to your data processing doing either activity individually? The analogy isn't perfect but I think its illustrative.

Phiz
buyin' gear

Post by Phiz » Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:24 pm

On the new computer, have you individually used each DVD drive to write a disk? And they each took significantly less than 15 minutes?

What type of drive and interface is the source data being read from?

cyantologist
gettin' sounds

Post by cyantologist » Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:02 am

Phiz wrote:On the new computer, have you individually used each DVD drive to write a disk? And they each took significantly less than 15 minutes?

What type of drive and interface is the source data being read from?
Actually I disconnected drive number 2 last night burned one disk which only took around 6 mins. This is how long it takes my other computer to do one so I think my power supply is just a little weak.

The data is being written from a 300gb sata hard drive.

Last night I was thinking that it was a driver issue, but my power supply is only 380 watts and I run 2 sata hard drives and 2 sata dvd burners. I'm about to pick up a new power supply today so I'll be able to test and make sure (and return the power supply if that's not the problem.)

Thanks for the replies!

clintsteele
pluggin' in mics

Post by clintsteele » Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:20 pm

apropos of nothing's reply is exactly right I believe.

Buying a new powersupply for your computer will not affect your DVD data transfer rate. Use the money for RAM.