Favorite compressor stompbox? (non-boutique)

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Favorite compressor stompbox? (non-boutique)

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:44 am

Used Ross? Black Finger? MXR? Boss? Soul Preacher? I don't care so much about line noise between notes, or build quality, or bypass switch noise, because it's mostly for recording; I am just looking for something that does nice things to a clean or slightly dirty signal on its way to an amp or DI - Thanks sirs and ma'ams

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:23 am

I love the DIY orange squeezer you can build via General Guitar Gadgets. I gave mine to a friend...gotta make another one.

mikeyc
buyin' gear

Post by mikeyc » Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:30 am

I like the Aphex Punch Factory. It's a very simple opto comp and I think it sounds fabulous. It also doubles as a DI. I use it for bass and acoustic and I'm almost always pleased with it.

It's also now about half the price I paid for it. :cry:

Sean Sullivan
moves faders with mind

Post by Sean Sullivan » Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:36 am

The Black Finger is pretty sweet, that's the best compressor I've ever used.
Still waiting for a Luna reunion

Dan Phelps
steve albini likes it

Post by Dan Phelps » Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:42 am

I enjoy an older Black Finger.

(Hmmm. Taken out of context that sentence is pretty suspect.)

However, it is such a pain to change the batteries on the old, square EH pedals.

For most things I have a standard MXR DynaComp on my pedalboard, which does the job fine. The way that it limits the frequency range also helps to make some parts find their niche in a track.

kayagum

Post by kayagum » Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:54 am

For subtle compression, Maxon CP101.

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:56 am

kayagum wrote:For subtle compression, Maxon CP101.
+1. Love this pedal, especially on bass.

fossiltooth
carpal tunnel

Post by fossiltooth » Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:59 am

I'm a dyna-comp kinda guy.

What's the point of guitar compressor if you're not gonna really hear it?

If you want something subtle, just control your dynamics. If you want something with some vibe, go for the MXR.

I haven't tried the black finger, so I can't say much about it.
Tatertot wrote:I don't care so much about line noise between notes, or build quality, or bypass switch noise, because it's mostly for recording;
I'm not sure that I understand this statement. Isn't the recorded medium the most powerful microscope for sound? That said, I wouldn't worry about any of these issues with the dyna comp.

JohnDavisNYC

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:02 am

i want someone to build an 1176 in a floor unit that operates at instrument level and has no bypass switch...

j
i like to make music with music and stuff and things.

http://www.thebunkerstudio.com/

;ivlunsdystf

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:40 am

fossiltooth wrote:
Tatertot wrote:I don't care so much about line noise between notes, or build quality, or bypass switch noise, because it's mostly for recording;
I'm not sure that I understand this statement. Isn't the recorded medium the most powerful microscope for sound? That said, I wouldn't worry about any of these issues with the dyna comp.
Buzz between notes is easy enough to snip out, see.

Incidentally, my goal is to hear the compressor in action, not just to tame stray loud notes. You know, 'Sultans of Swing' type of thing. Thus I think I currently lean towards Dynacomp or one of its relatives, as it is 1. cheap and 2. apparently reliable

;ivlunsdystf

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:28 am

inverseroom wrote:I love the DIY orange squeezer you can build via General Guitar Gadgets. I gave mine to a friend...gotta make another one.
This, I suppose? http://tinyurl.com/3baxcn

How hard can it be? I have steady hands and about 3/4 of a brain, but have only soldered odds and ends in the past - shall I tackle the project? If they send good instructions and it's fairly 'follow the bouncing ball'-esque, then yes.

Dan Phelps
steve albini likes it

Post by Dan Phelps » Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:32 am

Tatertot wrote:
fossiltooth wrote:
Buzz between notes is easy enough to snip out, see.

Incidentally, my goal is to hear the compressor in action, not just to tame stray loud notes. You know, 'Sultans of Swing' type of thing. Thus I think I currently lean towards Dynacomp or one of its relatives, as it is 1. cheap and 2. apparently reliable
This has been my experience with the Keely compressor. It sounds really good and really hi-fi, but kind of too polite or transparent for what I am usually looking for from a compressor stopmbox. Hence the DODC (Dirty Ol' DynaComp) and it's funky fidelity.

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:20 am

Tatertot wrote:
inverseroom wrote:I love the DIY orange squeezer you can build via General Guitar Gadgets. I gave mine to a friend...gotta make another one.
This, I suppose? http://tinyurl.com/3baxcn

How hard can it be? I have steady hands and about 3/4 of a brain, but have only soldered odds and ends in the past - shall I tackle the project? If they send good instructions and it's fairly 'follow the bouncing ball'-esque, then yes.
Oh yeah! I didn't realize they were actually selling a kit now. This box is very easy to make, you should give it a try.

Meriphew
deaf.

Post by Meriphew » Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:46 am

I have a Keeley compressor and a Boss CS-2. Both are cool. The Keeley is more transparent, while the Boss adds a bit more color.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:39 pm

mikeyc wrote:I like the Aphex Punch Factory. It's a very simple opto comp and I think it sounds fabulous. It also doubles as a DI. I use it for bass and acoustic and I'm almost always pleased with it.
aye.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca