glyn/ethan johns setup pics

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

watergunfight
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by watergunfight » Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:24 am

JustinHedrick wrote:now, would that mic technique work on a vandyke beard as well? would you have to hi-pass it to work on a handlebar moustache??

god, this could go on forever.
it depends a lot on the preamps, for a darker (brownish) beard sound ill usually recommend something with a lot of tubes. nothing like a properly tuned warm beard

JustinHedrick
steve albini likes it

Post by JustinHedrick » Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:02 am

watergunfight wrote:
JustinHedrick wrote:now, would that mic technique work on a vandyke beard as well? would you have to hi-pass it to work on a handlebar moustache??

god, this could go on forever.
it depends a lot on the preamps, for a darker (brownish) beard sound ill usually recommend something with a lot of tubes. nothing like a properly tuned warm beard
what about a hardcore metal band that have goatees . . . would braiding the beard make it have a tighter sound??
another metal guitar tip is to put a fan in front of you while you play, so it blows your stupid long hair around like the solo is BLOWING YOU AWAY because you're a fucking tool.

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:21 am

you gotta use a transformer for more hair..

swelle
takin' a dinner break

Post by swelle » Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:24 pm

A good beard should be both "warm" and "transparent."

calaverasgrandes
ghost haunting audio students

Post by calaverasgrandes » Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:56 pm

First off I have to say my mixes have gotten much better since I grew my current van dyk. I can really hear into the mix much better without my chin and upper lip adding all those early reflections.
More seriously though, its pretty easy to record drums with 3 mikes, when you have no fucking cymbals in the way! Really go back and look. The dude has ride and a hat. Nice. I wish most drummers could get down with just that much instead of the wall of bronze you usually see.
Or hey I got a better idea, well put a hotdog compressor behind your drumset, and rig a length tube to a ball valve on a hi hat stand. Then you can emit white noise at musically useful moments.
On second thought disregard that idea.
I'm gonna go patent it.
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."

LeedyGuy
tinnitus

Post by LeedyGuy » Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:46 am

calaverasgrandes wrote: More seriously though, its pretty easy to record drums with 3 mikes, when you have no fucking cymbals in the way! Really go back and look. The dude has ride and a hat. Nice. I wish most drummers could get down with just that much instead of the wall of bronze you usually see.
I have given up using crash cymbals altogether when recording myself playing drums. They are a bitch to record and usually sound shitty IMO, even the good ones. I prefer the jazz setup of 1 or 2 rides instead and I just kinda lean into those to get a little more emphasis when needed.
Current band - www.myspace.com/nickafflittomusic
My music - www.myspace.com/kenadessamusic
Recording space - www.myspace.com/twinreverbsound
HOT soul music - www.enzoandthebakers.com
Freelance drum hookups available constantly

calaverasgrandes

Post by calaverasgrandes » Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:50 am

there was this band called Victims Family back in the late 80's. Their drummer could get crash, ride, hi hat etc from just a pair of hats.
Best
drummer
ever

imdrecordings
alignin' 24-trk

Post by imdrecordings » Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:42 pm

calaverasgrandes wrote:there was this band called Victims Family back in the late 80's. Their drummer could get crash, ride, hi hat etc from just a pair of hats.
Best
drummer
ever
I remember them. I think we played a show with them at the Paradise Lounge once. Or at least the drummer you speak of was playing in the band. He is a "friend of a friend", but I'm bad with names. :roll:
-Scott

calaverasgrandes

Post by calaverasgrandes » Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:47 pm

well they had Eric Strand and Devon Morf. I forget which is the first drummer and which the one cymbal guy. My old bands drummer worshipped that band. So I got to the point where I really didnt care.
Ralph Spight the guitarist vocalist is still doing music. Seen him active on the REP boards I think.

monkeytennis
audio school

Post by monkeytennis » Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:15 am

sorry to resurrect/hijack this thread but in the gallery on the Three Crows page (http://www.threecrowsmusic.com/ray_studio.htm - you can see on pages 13 and 14) does anyone know what the mic being used on Rays guitar is?

Is it an SM81 with the grille/windshield attached?

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:46 am

monkeytennis wrote:sorry to resurrect/hijack this thread but in the gallery on the Three Crows page (http://www.threecrowsmusic.com/ray_studio.htm - you can see on pages 13 and 14) does anyone know what the mic being used on Rays guitar is?

It's a bit blurry so it's hard to say but it looks like an RE15 to me.

Slider
george martin

Post by Slider » Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:09 am

calaverasgrandes wrote:well they had Eric Strand and Devon Morf. I forget which is the first drummer and which the one cymbal guy. My old bands drummer worshipped that band. So I got to the point where I really didnt care.
Ralph Spight the guitarist vocalist is still doing music. Seen him active on the REP boards I think.
Wow, you just brought back some long gone East Bay memories with the Victim's family reference. They were nice guys.

calaverasgrandes

Post by calaverasgrandes » Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:57 am

actually nor bay, they are from Petaluma santa rosa area in sonoma cty.

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:31 am

Hang on, why are we giving Ethan Johns accolades here? I just want to make sure I did am not missing something.

There are a ton of engineers equal to or better than him in ability.

As for Glyn, right place, right time. Same with Andy for that matter. They were making records at a time when there were WAY, WAY, WAY less records being made.

monkeytennis
audio school

Post by monkeytennis » Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:39 am

monkeytennis wrote:sorry to resurrect/hijack this thread but in the gallery on the Three Crows page (http://www.threecrowsmusic.com/ray_studio.htm - you can see on pages 13 and 14) does anyone know what the mic being used on Rays guitar is?

to answer my own question it turns out it is an EV635!