OK, how many of you actually subscribe to TapeOp?

Feedback on the current issue, ideas for articles, questions about Tape Op

Moderators: TapeOpJohn, TapeOpLarry

Which subscriptions do you have?

Magazine (free)
22%
Magazine (paid)
2%
Registered to messageboard.tapeop.com
1%
Free mag and board
73%
Paid mag and board
2%
Lurker (at least until you registered and voted)
No votes

Total votes: 92

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

OK, how many of you actually subscribe to TapeOp?

Post by kayagum » Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:30 am

Just curious...

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:14 pm

mag and the board. can't get enough doooooood

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:40 pm

They are both good to have. I think the message board is the most useful part, being able to post questions and get quick discussions started. The magazine is good for background on various people and gear.

If you haven't looked on TapeOp.com for "bonus articles", please do so. There have been some really interesting things on there at times. My favorite was the full-length version of the "Pink Floyd studio on a Thames river barge" article, since the published magazine article was rather cut down.

Spindrift
pushin' record

Post by Spindrift » Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:35 am

I have been happily paying since issue #30, but have to buy it at the store rather than subscribing. In Canada, the cost of a subscription is actually more than purchasing off the rack ($8.33 vs. $5.95). We also don't have the option of a free subscription.

I don't get this. Tape Op is the only magazine I know of that charges more for a subscription. Every other mag gives you huge savings off the cover price if you subscribe. It makes sense to do so because it guarantees sales to the magazine and allows them to charge more to advertisers.

I'm sure there must be reasons for this. You can get a free subscription in the UK but not in a country that is physically connected to the US. Maybe someone could explain the logistics of the situation? Like I said, I'm happy to pay for the magazine and would still do so if given the choice to have a free subscription. I'd also be happy to try and find a solution rather than just bitch about it. Maybe we just need a Canadian printer to handle our store/subscription copies?

Adam

Phiz
buyin' gear

Post by Phiz » Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:14 am

I'm a little unclear about how anyone who isn't a registerer used of the board could cast a vote. Yet there are currently a bunch of votes for mag only.

DJ Tanner
audio school graduate

Post by DJ Tanner » Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:19 am

Phiz wrote:I'm a little unclear about how anyone who isn't a registerer used of the board could cast a vote. Yet there are currently a bunch of votes for mag only.
The title of the thread is "How Many of You Actually Subscribe to TapeOp". Being impatient yet eager to participate, I checked the first box that applied to me; free subscription. I would never have thought that TOMB would be included in the poll, because a web forum is not something I would ever consider myself "subscribed" to.

chuckfurok
steve albini likes it

Post by chuckfurok » Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:55 am

free sub since about issue #22. Spend way too much time on this board.

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:21 am

Maybe I didn't phrase the options correctly, but nobody's really fessing up to being a board member w/o a mag subscription.

fossiltooth
carpal tunnel

Post by fossiltooth » Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:30 am

kayagum wrote:Maybe I didn't phrase the options correctly, but nobody's really fessing up to being a board member w/o a mag subscription.
There's no clear option for that.

But I think it's safe to assume that just about everyone here reads the magazine from time to time. Why else would they be here instead of one of the dozens of other recording forums around?

madtho
steve albini likes it

Post by madtho » Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:19 pm

Scodiddly wrote:
If you haven't looked on TapeOp.com for "bonus articles", please do so. There have been some really interesting things on there at times. My favorite was the full-length version of the "Pink Floyd studio on a Thames river barge" article, since the published magazine article was rather cut down.
Also check the messageboard archives, especially the 'Best of' section of General Recording.

-mad
We wanted to play traditional jazz in the worst way...and we did!
-Dave Van Ronk

percussion boy
carpal tunnel

Post by percussion boy » Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:32 pm

As a born paranoid, it took me a while to get the subscription. "What do they mean, it's FREE? It can't really be FREE."

If I had to choose one, I would take the board though. That and a few select books have been my recording school.
"The world don't need no more songs." - Bob Dylan

"Why does the Creator send me such knuckleheads?" - Sun Ra

onlyone
ass engineer

Post by onlyone » Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:06 am

as for me -- i neglected to notice the other option! i guess i figured i'm already here so my being here or not wouldn't need to be ascertained. :D

Phiz wrote:I'm a little unclear about how anyone who isn't a registerer used of the board could cast a vote. Yet there are currently a bunch of votes for mag only.