Should I make the switch from Pro Tools LE to Logic Studio?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Sean Sullivan
moves faders with mind

Should I make the switch from Pro Tools LE to Logic Studio?

Post by Sean Sullivan » Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:51 pm

I think I've about reached the limits of Pro Tools LE and I'm trying to decide if I should expand my plug in collection or give Logic Studio a try. With my educational discount I can get Logic for $450, or I was going to get the Waves Musicians 2 bundle ($125 with discount), PSP VintageWarmer ($80 with discount), TL Space ($100 on eBay) and some virtual instruments (Velvet, B4, M-Tron), which total cost around $700...but Logic gives me a lot more than that.

Logic has some really cool stuff, like the virtual instruments, space and delay designer, a nice sampler, and from what i've heard from a few it just sounds better than LE. Plus, Logic has double the track limit of Pro Tools LE.
Still waiting for a Luna reunion

Fakiekid
takin' a dinner break

Post by Fakiekid » Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:19 am

IMO Pro Tools and audio = amazing

Pro Tools + midi = shocking

Logic + Audio = great

Logic + midi = great

just depends on what your doing, I use logic because i cant afford an HD system, IMHO I would rather have Logic than LE.

JohnDavisNYC
ghost haunting audio students

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:55 am

logic destroys LE.

in every possible way.

john
i like to make music with music and stuff and things.

http://www.thebunkerstudio.com/

kojdogg
buyin' gear

Post by kojdogg » Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:19 am

logic is great! how's this for an added incentive: your academic discount is crappy-- i've seen logic 8 studio academic for $150.
________
Ultram rehab forums
Last edited by kojdogg on Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sean Sullivan
moves faders with mind

Post by Sean Sullivan » Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:07 am

Unfortunatly Kojdogg to get Logic Studio for $150 is a departmental price, meaning that if the school wants to buy it, that's the price the school gets...even as staff one has to fork out the academic price of $449.

Also the academic version is only up-datable, but non-upgradable, which means if Logic 10 comes out you have the buy the full blown package all over again.
Still waiting for a Luna reunion

fremitus
pushin' record

Post by fremitus » Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:07 am

logic is great, and i have both logic and LE running on my laptop for my home rig. i turn to PTLE 90% of the time because of familiarity, that and the 7.4 upgrade is slick as can be and runs quite well for. i must say that a strong reason is that we're running HD at the studio and it's where my noise ends up eventually anyway.

logic to me has always been a bit 'illogical' actually. but getting over that learning curve seems to free up a lot of people. hell i happen to like toaster3000 quite a bit and i respect his opinions on everything but sheep, i guess what i'm wondering is what are you looking for in logic that you aren't getting in LE. how many tracks do you really need?

JohnDavisNYC
ghost haunting audio students

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:09 am

24+ outputs to a console, and the freedom to not use digi hardware...

and some amazing plugins and instruments that come with the software...

what's new colby?

john
i like to make music with music and stuff and things.

http://www.thebunkerstudio.com/

weatherbox
re-cappin' neve

Post by weatherbox » Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:33 am

I'm wanting to make that switch. My brief try at Logic though left me the impression that adapting to the new interface could take a bit. I've only used an analog recorder and ProTools, and the Logic interface (again, a brief experience) seemed about as "computery" as I can imagine. Any good guides anyone's found that'd ease in the change?

norton
buyin' a studio

Post by norton » Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:21 am

I'm right in the middle of this switch. From le to logic, and if you're going to do it the main thing i'd recommend to you is: have NO preconceptions of Logic. Approach it with a completely fresh mind.

If you assume Logic is LE with different colors you'll get pissed. If you approach Logic as it's own animal it's pretty easy to work with. Yeah there are shit-tons of screens you CAN work in... but you don't have to use them if you don't want to. You can strip Logic down to a 2 screen work environment.

I've been kicking around the idea of switching since Logic 7...and just made the jump. The first couple of days were frustrating but that's my fault... for approaching Logic with a Protools set of assumptions.

Logic has LE beat hands down as far as tools, features, flexibility. But i've got to say that the PT LE work-flow is easier to grasp. Perfect world - logic effects, logic flexibility - logic's power and integration- BUT - protools work-flow.

And if you're a mac guy already it makes a lot of sense. Especially on the Hardware side of things. Core audio - less latency... Better use of processor power, complete integration into the system - node processing etc. And that's just Logic... not to mention Soundtrack pro which gets cooler every time i look at it.. Waveburner, mainstage. It's a pretty ridiculously deep package

As far as training goes - most of what i've found is pretty HEAVY up on loop based composition, with a bit of audio. for starters - check out:

www.macprovideo.com
www.lynda.com
www.logicprohelp.com

The manual kicks ass, but it's an 8 pound monster.

good luck.

rwc
resurrected

Post by rwc » Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:51 am

I find my workflow better in logic than protools. I used to wonder how the fuck I could ever use this, now I say the same about pro tools after becoming a logic guy.

I'd prefer it to HD.. much less LE.
Real friends stab you in the front.

Oscar Wilde

Failed audio engineer & pro studio tech turned Component level motherboard repair store in New York

kojdogg
buyin' gear

Post by kojdogg » Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:26 pm

minorleagues wrote:Unfortunatly Kojdogg to get Logic Studio for $150 is a departmental price, meaning that if the school wants to buy it, that's the price the school gets...even as staff one has to fork out the academic price of $449.

Also the academic version is only up-datable, but non-upgradable, which means if Logic 10 comes out you have the buy the full blown package all over again.
ah that sucks-- sorry for my confusion on that.
________
AVANDIA LAWYER
Last edited by kojdogg on Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

pk
buyin' gear

Post by pk » Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:41 pm

I did the switch to Logic Studio a few months ago after 7 years of PT LE.

Pretty much what everyone said and I'm just adding my +1.
Not only did I ditch LE, but also the piece of crap 002R that it needed to run. I got an Apogee Ensemble and words cannot describe the jump in overall quality of my recordings. Simply put, I haven't had this much fun recording in years. Leaving the PT world is like breaking up that relationship that's been lingering in your head for years, then you do it and a new freedom awaits.

The bundled instruments, the plugins (top notch stock eq, comp, reverb and delay may I add), bundled loops, Main Stage, etc., it's an amazing deal to pass up.
Yes there is a bit of a learning curve, although much easier now than in previous versions of Logic, but stick with it, customize your workflow and you'll be flying around it within a few weeks.

I also will add that, IMO, the sound quality is much better in Logic, which could be just a result of the better interface or the software alone, the latter being debatable as some will argue that all software should - theoretically - sound the same.

weatherbox
re-cappin' neve

Post by weatherbox » Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:54 pm

So, (other) Logic guys... what interfaces are you using? I'm itching to get away from PTLE, and to get more towards mixing OTB... 16 outs, nah... 24 outs. There's board in the future... the chaining Ensemble multiple units thing never panned out, did it?

Gebo
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Gebo » Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:59 pm

I made the switch about two years ago when the Ensemble came out. I was using LE and liked it, but didnt like the lack of plug-ins that were included and I didnt like being tied to their hardware (the 001 I had wasnt cutting it anymore). When I first switched over, I used Logic 7, and I hated it. It seemed like everything that was simple and easy in LE was just the opposite in Logic. I was considering going back to LE, when Apple dropped Logic Studio. I decided to give Logic Studio a shot, and I love it. It is great, I love it. I love not being tied to the hardware (I run it using just my soundcard if im doing edits and stuff on the couch), and the programs that come with it are great. Waveburner, for example, has been seeing A LOT of use from me. I do a lot of "demo" recordings for bands, and wave burner allows me to do a quick mastering job and do some gapless track breaks and things like that. Im not mastering genius, but I can balance and beef with wave burner pretty well, which is great for my clients. A lot of people want their cd to be as loud as a commercial cd. While for my own music I dont care, and while I try to stay out of the "loudness wars", some clients want it, and waveburner helps. Soundtrack is great for doing the same type of functions you would with LE, where you can apply effects to a region. It also has a few other useful tools that come in handy if you do any voice over editing (ambient noise removel, etc). I say go for it, I think youll be pumped!
As it was in the begining, so shall it be in the end...

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:02 pm

pk wrote:I did the switch to Logic Studio a few months ago after 7 years of PT LE.

Pretty much what everyone said and I'm just adding my +1.
Not only did I ditch LE, but also the piece of crap 002R that it needed to run. I got an Apogee Ensemble and words cannot describe the jump in overall quality of my recordings. Simply put, I haven't had this much fun recording in years. Leaving the PT world is like breaking up that relationship that's been lingering in your head for years, then you do it and a new freedom awaits.

The bundled instruments, the plugins (top notch stock eq, comp, reverb and delay may I add), bundled loops, Main Stage, etc., it's an amazing deal to pass up.
Yes there is a bit of a learning curve, although much easier now than in previous versions of Logic, but stick with it, customize your workflow and you'll be flying around it within a few weeks.

I also will add that, IMO, the sound quality is much better in Logic, which could be just a result of the better interface or the software alone, the latter being debatable as some will argue that all software should - theoretically - sound the same.
I am on the cliff. See me on the cliff?

LE requires SO MUCH WORK to get something out of it that sounds like a record. Do you get to an end result quicker with Logic? What is your main style of music that you are working in?