Minority Report Technology NOW?My Jaw is On the Floor...

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

greatmagnet
buyin' a studio

Post by greatmagnet » Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:58 am

Celine Dion IS a robot spider.
"All energy flows in accordance with the whims of the great Magnet"
?Raoul Duke
www.greatmagnetrecording.com

Ryan Silva
tinnitus

Post by Ryan Silva » Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:59 am

inverseroom wrote:Dammit, I thought this thread was going to be about how we can now throw Celine Dion in prison before she records another album.
thanks, I needed that
"Writing good songs is hard. recording is easy. "

MoreSpaceEcho

darjama
tinnitus

Post by darjama » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:10 am

I though it would be about a collection of hot bald chicks floating in someone's basement.

GooberNumber9
tinnitus

Post by GooberNumber9 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:15 am

I thought it was going to be about predicting the future. They don't have those touch-screens in the short story.
Caldo71 wrote:God I can hardly wait for this stuff to go mainstream.
Isn't that whole demo just an iPhone that is much bigger with much cooler apps? I mean, the part where he zooms in on the map is something I've done on a friend's iPhone before. That's the whole thing that makes it worth $500, IMHO, and probably the thing that makes it cost that much, also.

Maybe the next step is a MacTablet with a 12" multi-touch screen. Oh my... just thinking about that makes me feel like when we used to climb the rope in gym class.

Todd Wilcox

bickle
takin' a dinner break

Post by bickle » Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:18 pm

So, uh, gripes and jokes aside, doesn't anybody think these things are cool?

If you check out the lemur in any detail, it's totally user-configurable (right down to the colors, sizes, etc. of all the objects onscreen) and can be used to control just about anything. I mean, I'm really just a bass-player, but I'm blown away.

Maybe it's just that I've seen them used in person as both impressive musical tools and as visually compelling performance devices. It seems to me that that's at least part of what makes for a really cool instrument - and just imagine that your soft-synths suddenly became really cool instruments!

Edit: here's a cool example.

knobtwirler
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by knobtwirler » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:09 pm

Yeah this is really old news, as you can tell by the dated video, Jan 2006. In terms of computer technology, what is that, like an eternity already went by? The gorilla arms thing is real. I don't want to feel like I'm super engaged 100% of the time doing computer work, let alone working in a studio with clients feeling like I'm supposed to be Tom Cruise. BTW, I thought this thread really was gonna be about Minority Report technology, not touchscreens, since this link is very old, and if you watch the movie with Tom Cruise, their screens are way cooler still.

bickle
takin' a dinner break

Post by bickle » Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:52 am

Ok, so gripes and jokes not aside.

That original video's from 2006, but I'm talking about technology Bjork and Daft Punk are using to great effect right now. Let's give it one more shot: this video has bjork's sound/tech guy explaining all of it; pretty cool, I think, even if I'm the only one here.

knobtwirler
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by knobtwirler » Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:18 pm

That's neat. I noticed that whenever somebody mentions a Lemur, they always mean to be controlling Ableton Live. At least in my wanderings.

Gulmyros
audio school graduate

Post by Gulmyros » Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:50 pm

If you want to something similar on the cheap, go pick up (or cannibalize an existing) Wii remote. Then head over here and get cracking:
http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~johnny/projects/wii/

The first video is about tracking your fingers through the air. The second is about turning any surface into an interactive white-board.

Cool thing is that this fellow wrote his own code to make these work - and he's posted it and encourages you to download it and try it yourself.

Kyle
steve albini likes it

Post by Kyle » Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:16 pm

http://www.microsoft.com/surface/

I wonder how long it will take to get the virtual console designed.
Kyle

rydberg
pushin' record

Post by rydberg » Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:52 pm

Caldo71 wrote:Celine Dion IS a robot spider.
>ding<

Round one to Caldo71!

rydberg
pushin' record

Post by rydberg » Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:10 pm

I saw a full demo of this online around the time the iPhone hit the street. It's still totally cool to watch.

I'm looking forward to the day where your laptop has 2 screens - one for viewing, one for input. The input screen will take the place of the keyboard/track pad and function just like a giant iPhone. To be able to switch from a QWERTY keyboard to a fader bank..or keyboard input...or an MPC input...or a ribbon controller....or a plug-in....or a turntable...I dunno, I'd be pretty psyched for that kind of portable computational power.

visible cow
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by visible cow » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:29 pm

Not to be a hater....but I really hope that these touch screen thingies will result in new music, not just a new interface. Having iphone-like control for ableton just seems silly. Oh god I hate myself. Forgive me.

teleguy2
audio school graduate

Post by teleguy2 » Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:34 pm

So, you guys have already seenthis robot that plays drum beats, samples itself, and repeats the process?

The future is NOW, baby!

Here's the link. I'm so lame I couldn't even figure out how to use the url button to make a link. Man. How did I get so lame?

http://letsmakerobots.com/node/112

Oh, in preview mode it linked itself. I'm not quite as lame as I thought I was.

watergunfight
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by watergunfight » Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:54 pm

while all this gadget talk is going on, lets play name that sample--from the video from the link in the first post... im going to play too, is that nina simone?? its starting to bug me because i feel like ive heard her say that ("who am I") in a song but I dont know which one.