Should I try reaper?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:34 pm

Thanks a lot! I haven't had time to do any new projects with it...maybe this coming week. That will be the real test for me, ease of use in tracking. My initial tests felt good, so we'll see.

I just can't believe how FAST it is.

wedge
tinnitus

Post by wedge » Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:13 pm

foxystoat wrote:tracker vs. traditional DAW
To further hijack, what *is* a "tracker", anyhoo?

Also, I use Reaper to track with (PTs to edit and mix) and I think it sounds great...

tummymondo
audio school graduate

Post by tummymondo » Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:44 pm

inverseroom wrote:
kronosonic wrote:Skinning is ace, I wish all the DAWs did it.
i'm on the complete opposite of this notion. skinning is the easiest way to make a good program look like it was made by a 14 year old.

Wilkesin
steve albini likes it

Post by Wilkesin » Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:38 pm

The tilda key, (left of #1, above tab), will collapse all tracks, or maximize the currently focused track. Started with reaper seriously about two weeks ago and Im not looking back. I cant see why anyone recording non-commercially would use anything else.
Slider wrote:"we figured you'd want to use your drum samples and reamp through your amps anyway, so we didn't bother taking much time to get sounds".

roygbiv
re-cappin' neve

Re: Should I try reaper?

Post by roygbiv » Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:13 pm

Wilkesin wrote:
I cant see why anyone recording non-commercially would use anything else.
That was exactly my conclusion too.

I use my DAW as if it were a tape deck (which happens to have digital editing capabilities and digital "outboard" gear). Why then spend >10X (or more) on a "professional" software package that basically does the same thing? I could spend that money on a new computer/microphone.

I also think Reaper is a viral thing - it will continue to get more market penetration, 'cause its excellent and almost free. You watch - more and more studios will be approached by people asking "hey man, are you compatible with Reaper? I want to record some basic tracks in your studio and mix the rest at home on my Reaper system" (or vice versa).

Let's see - will the wise studio say - "f*ck off and go away - I don't need your money. I don't have Reaper here 'cause I can't be bothered with downloading and installing a 3.1 MB file, and I can't afford to pay $40 (or $200 as a professional license).
"Decisions by the Secretary pursuant to the authority of this Act are non-reviewable and committed to agency discretion, and may not be reviewed by any court of law or any administrative agency."

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:26 am

roygbiv wrote:Let's see - will the wise studio say - "f*ck off and go away - I don't need your money. I don't have Reaper here 'cause I can't be bothered with downloading and installing a 3.1 MB file, and I can't afford to pay $40 (or $200 as a professional license).
more likely they'll belittle both the software and the (formerly) potential client, if the past serves as anything to gauge by, cos it's not some flavour of Pro Tools.

then they'll bitch and moan about how the proliferation of home recording has cut into their profits.

but three posts later they'll claim that they're "booked solid"! :lol:
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:36 am

tummymondo wrote:
inverseroom wrote:Skinning is ace, I wish all the DAWs did it.
i'm on the complete opposite of this notion. skinning is the easiest way to make a good program look like it was made by a 14 year old.
Nobody is forcing you to skin the damn thing. Keep it however you like it, that's the point.

kronosonic
takin' a dinner break

Post by kronosonic » Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:29 pm

here's some interesting and new info on reaper's ability to spread the load across multiple processing cores.

impressive
http://www.cockos.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18747

I also appreciate reaper because rather than upgrading to cubase 4.x I spent $40 on reap, got a better program, and had enough money left over for a drum kit.

8)
http://myspace.com/infiniteegosavioronasis

A personal friend of the legendary Jean Pecan Hoe

Spark
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Spark » Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:38 pm

Wilkesin wrote:The tilda key, (left of #1, above tab), will collapse all tracks, or maximize the currently focused track.
Cool! Ive been using it for almost a year and somehow I missed that one. Thanks! I really gotta sit down with the manual/wiki one of these days... haha. I wonder what else Im missing.

I dig ProTools but I tried out Reaper to see if I could live with mixing in it since it has delay compensation and a lot of other things that are crippled in Protools. To my surprise I actually like mixing in Reaper more than Protools. I still like editing in Protools better sometimes, but Reaper has everything I need otherwise.

Paul Fury 161
gettin' sounds

Post by Paul Fury 161 » Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:59 am

Hi,

I'd just like to add that i too like Reaper a lot. It works great with my digi 001 - you can you the reainsert plugin to use your ins & outs at mixdown for inserting hardware compressors etc on your tracks (the delay compensation is a must here!). For 001 users it really gives you a lot of extra functionality that you miss out on otherwise. You can also set up spare PC's as fx processing farms using the reamote plugin (it works like fxteleport). This is a very good program!

Take it easy all,

Regards,

Paul Fury 161
"These mixes are really great. I only want to re-record all the guitars and vocals - can I have the masters please?"

www.myspace.com/extinguishher

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:32 am

The Spark wrote:
Wilkesin wrote:The tilda key, (left of #1, above tab), will collapse all tracks, or maximize the currently focused track.
Cool! Ive been using it for almost a year and somehow I missed that one. Thanks!
Yes, hugely useful, thank you!

Winstontaneous
takin' a dinner break

Post by Winstontaneous » Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:44 pm

I tried Reaper 2 or 3 times in the last year or so and never really clicked with it. Then I installed the latest version a few days ago and am pretty impressed. I like the clean layout, tabbed windows, routing matrix, lack of bloat, fair price, and responsive user/developer community. I do look forward to having more MIDI tools and given the speed/quality of features added to new releases, I bet they'll come soon.

The new "item edit" feature is great--it lets you define clips or groups of clips and apply FX, fades, tempo/pitch changes. Not as refined as Samplitude's Object editing, but a very good start.

TheForgotten
gettin' sounds

Post by TheForgotten » Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:17 pm

Been using Reaper for about 6 or 7 months now.
I love it!
Especially the ability to make your own macros.

Don't know if it's been mentioned already but,
the development of Reaper is breaking the standard tradition of most DAW software (i.e. the Yearly update that you pay for).
I haven't seen Reaper go more than about two weeks without getting updated.
Justin is a code-aholic.

Winstontaneous
takin' a dinner break

Post by Winstontaneous » Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:01 am

TheForgotten wrote:Been using Reaper for about 6 or 7 months now.
I love it!

the development of Reaper is breaking the standard tradition of most DAW software (i.e. the Yearly update that you pay for).
Justin is a code-aholic.
Yeah, Justin Frankel has quite a track record for a 30-year old: Winamp, Gnutella, Reaper. And unlike other frequently updated scrappy DAWs (like Tracktion and Energy XT) new features in Reaper generally don't come at the expense of stability.

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:42 pm

Wubbeneezer Garibaldi wrote:
TheForgotten wrote:Been using Reaper for about 6 or 7 months now.
I love it!

Justin is a code-aholic.
Yeah, Justin Frankel has quite a track record for a 30-year old: Winamp, Gnutella, Reaper. And unlike other frequently updated scrappy DAWs (like Tracktion and Energy XT) new features in Reaper generally don't come at the expense of stability.
XT2 has been a big disappointment to me. I was very excited about it, but it's still not stable.

I do wish somebody would make an XT2 Reaper skin though!