Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Jay Reynolds
carpal tunnel

Melodyne DNA

Post by Jay Reynolds » Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:33 pm

O M F G:
http://www.celemony.com/cms/index.php?id=dna
I'm intrigued by all the possibilities NOT show in the video. What'll it do to feedback? Or a crash cymbal?
Prog out with your cog out.

daede
takin' a dinner break

Post by daede » Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:46 pm

wow...
"There's nothing noble in being better than your fellow man. True nobility comes from being better than your former self." Or something like that.

www.dreamachinemusic.com

RedCrownStudios
pushin' record

freaking sweet

Post by RedCrownStudios » Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:41 pm

That could really come in handy for collaboration projects. Someone gives you basic tracks/ideas recorded, and then you tweak it, send it back, and then back and forth and so on.
Marshall Baker
Media Designer
Tulsa, Ok
www.MarshallBaker.com
www.MarshallandRoxy.com

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:29 am

I am stunned. This takes sampling to a whole different level, right?

kronosonic
takin' a dinner break

Post by kronosonic » Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:04 am

now my dog can be a guitar player

but seriously, in a technical sense, that is pretty incredible.

I'd like to use it not to 'correct' stuff but for creative manipulation and warping hell out of audio...I guess that would be 'abuse' :D
http://myspace.com/infiniteegosavioronasis

A personal friend of the legendary Jean Pecan Hoe

daede
takin' a dinner break

Post by daede » Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:17 am

kronosonic wrote:in a technical sense, that is pretty incredible.

I'd like to use it not to 'correct' stuff but for creative manipulation and warping hell out of audio
Exactly. I've been eyeing Melodyne for a while but this puts it into 'must-have' territory for me.
"There's nothing noble in being better than your fellow man. True nobility comes from being better than your former self." Or something like that.

www.dreamachinemusic.com

Jay Reynolds
carpal tunnel

Post by Jay Reynolds » Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:48 am

daede wrote:
kronosonic wrote:in a technical sense, that is pretty incredible.

I'd like to use it not to 'correct' stuff but for creative manipulation and warping hell out of audio
Exactly. I've been eyeing Melodyne for a while but this puts it into 'must-have' territory for me.
Or what will it do to non-pitched material? And they're using poly-phonic material in the demo, but what happens when you run it on a full mix with drum'n'everything?
Prog out with your cog out.

daede
takin' a dinner break

Post by daede » Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:52 am

superaction80 wrote: Or what will it do to non-pitched material? And they're using poly-phonic material in the demo, but what happens when you run it on a full mix with drum'n'everything?
It probably won't like it, but sometimes the most interesting sounds come from doing things that the product wasn't intended to do.

www.dreamachinemusic.com

comfortstarr
re-cappin' neve

Post by comfortstarr » Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:49 am

That's pretty incredible... I'd wonder how they do it if I could understand the answer.

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:22 pm

That's really cool. I want it.

fatcatholic
audio school graduate

Post by fatcatholic » Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:39 am

I am extremely skeptical of this. I just can't see how it can be possible to extract individual notes from a chord in a single audio file. Does anybody know if there's a technical explanation available of how they do it? Has anybody seen the actual thing in action?

If it really is true, then fantastic. It could be a great tool, when used judiciously. I know a lot of people are concerned that this will cheapen music, making it so that anybody with some money and a computer can just mash his or her fist on a piano and then sort it out later using this technology. Yes, this is true, in part, but good music is about a lot more than just notes. Expression, articulation, and composition are three aspects that, synthesized, will never achieve the qualities of a true human performance.

A friend of mine pointed to the current trend in pop and hip-hop music of abusing auto-tuners (T-Pain, anyone?) and argued that this new DNA technology could be abused just as rampantly. I replied that, sure, the auto-tuner (and vocoder) thing is ridiculously out of hand in pop. I don't deny it, but look at what a small percentage of actual music this is. I personally own thousands of songs, many of them contemporary, and not a single one of them does this. It's a passing fad; it will stop being popular within a year, two at the most, I guarantee it. The same would be true if people started abusing the DNA software. I have enough faith in musicians and in music fans to believe this very strongly.

There will always be those artists and producers out there who go overboard with the next new technology, but if they don't put in the essential human elements of music, they will always be doomed to being a footnote or, if they're lucky, a tabloid headline in musical history.

If it's real, this Melodyne DNA could be a great tool for those who know how to use it wisely (read=EXTREMELY SPARINGLY), and it may even help weed out the hacks.

Thank you for reading my novel, sorry I got a little carried away.