Should I try reaper?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Alex Netick
takin' a dinner break

Post by Alex Netick » Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:08 pm

Yeah -- reaper sounds pretty cool. I liked Sonar until the last time I upgraded. The dude on the other end of the phone asked my address, and I said it was either my P.O. Box or my mailbox (which someone had smashed), both of which didn't match my last mailing address because I moved, and he kind of gave me shit about it as if I was impersonating myself or something. Other than that, I didn't really have any problems with them. And it kind of bummed me out, because until that time I had always liked dealing with Cakewalk. I wasn't too crazy about the interface, though, so I'm not upgrading.

Nate Dort
tinnitus

Post by Nate Dort » Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:15 pm

I sold my mbox and PT license and switched over to reaper about 6 months ago. I haven't looked back. It took some time to get used to it, but once I set up the key commands the way I wanted them, it was smooth sailing. I haven't even begun to scratch the surface of what it can do though.

foxystoat
pluggin' in mics

Post by foxystoat » Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:46 pm

wedge wrote:
foxystoat wrote:tracker vs. traditional DAW
To further hijack, what *is* a "tracker", anyhoo?

Also, I use Reaper to track with (PTs to edit and mix) and I think it sounds great...
wedge,

You can find out more about trackers, if you've not already, here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tracker_music

--
Regards,
Benjamin W.

SteveE9C6
audio school graduate

Post by SteveE9C6 » Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:27 pm

Should I try reaper?
Sure... why not? Try them all. There are demos of just about everything out there. I tried Reaper a year or so ago and just didn't bond with it. I also tried Cubase at one point.

However, I've been using Sonar since 2XL and am now on PE7. I like it and am use to it. I use two monitors and keep a track view on one and console view on the other. It's skinnable too! I've not really had any issues with Sonar, but their customer service could be improved.

I run S7PE on a Q6600 OC'd to 3.0ghz. Last night I was mixing and recording multiple tracks and inserted plugs at 32 samples... I believe I had 0.7ms latency. This is with 64bit processing enabled. Oh, I was also using it's new external insert with my rack TC reverb..

Sonar also has a huge userbase as well as a great forum. This is what I am comfortable with for those and other reasons.

But Reaper? Sure, try it out. There are some rabid reaper folk out there who love it.
Steve Stallings
Cypress (Houston), Texas
USA
Pedal Steel/Guitar/Keys/Bass/Drums/Vocals

Electricide
dead but not forgotten

Post by Electricide » Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:12 pm

I thought Reaper was one of the better new shows, before the strike.

kronosonic
takin' a dinner break

Post by kronosonic » Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:43 pm

a year ago I thought reap was not very good (to put it mildly)

I tried it a few times off and on and it wasn't until probably 1.8x that I knew it was going to be a winner. I don't think I paid for it for about 9 months...waited until I thought it was a good alternative to steinberg.

v2 is kicking ass.

I think they competition is starting to sweat. :wink:
http://myspace.com/infiniteegosavioronasis

A personal friend of the legendary Jean Pecan Hoe

lyman
re-cappin' neve

Post by lyman » Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:16 am

SteveE9C6 wrote:
But Reaper? Sure, try it out. There are some rabid reaper folk out there who love it.
i was hesitant at first. but with some gentle prodding from blue oyster cult i changed my mind.