DP-to-Pro Tools conversion help!

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Rodgre
carpal tunnel

DP-to-Pro Tools conversion help!

Post by Rodgre » Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:01 pm

I'm about to start mixing a project that was recorded in Digital Performer 5.11 and I'm very green when it comes to DP, so I'd rather mix it in Pro Tools.

I don't have Digitranslator so I haven't been able to import OMF conversions into Pro Tools. I was wondering if anyone out there has done this and can talk me through the best way to do it.

By the same token, is there anyone out there in the Massachusetts/New England area that has Digitranslator that can import OMF sessions and save them as Pro Tools sessions for me?

Help! The clients are about to get violent on me.

Roger

Jay Reynolds
carpal tunnel

Post by Jay Reynolds » Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:04 pm

Go to Track view, select all. Under the Audio menu, select Freeze Selected tracks. Each track should be rendered as contiguous SDII files in that project's Audio folder.
Prog out with your cog out.

Rodgre
carpal tunnel

Post by Rodgre » Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:08 pm

I'll try that. Am I correct in assuming that this is just to consolidate all the tracks so I can import them all and be time-locked to where they should be in Pro Tools? I'm still trying to keep some plug-in info to edit in Pro Tools as well, but I think your tip is Plan B.

I am going to try to install a Digitranslator demo on my home PT rig, as I have never installed it.

Roger

Jay Reynolds
carpal tunnel

Post by Jay Reynolds » Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:35 pm

Yeah, this will just get you blocked-out audio files. I'm not sure if OMF actually retains your plugin settings. I've used OMF to go from DP to Cubase on one occaision and Cubase to Logic on a few others. In those cases, I did retain my fader positions and pans, but not inserts and sends.
If your plugs will save their presets in a proprietary format, that might be a workaround. But probably not a quick one.
Best of luck!
Prog out with your cog out.

Rodgre
carpal tunnel

Post by Rodgre » Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:40 pm

Thanks for the head's up. $500 for Digitranslator isn't worth the money, if it doesn't save plug-ins and their settings. At least for me, it isn't.

Still trying to find a quicker solution.... I realized that I never installed the demo version on my home rig, so I'm going to try that now.

Roger

JdJ
pushin' record

Post by JdJ » Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:00 pm

A few years ago I installed the Digitranslator demo to do something similar. It will give you levels and panning, but unless it has changed, I'm pretty sure you will have to reinsert all plugins. There was no plugin automation on the session when I tried it, so there is a slight chance that it will pull plug automation and instances if you have them, but I doubt it. It would probably be easier just to figure out DP... : (

Sorry,

Josh

Rodgre
carpal tunnel

Post by Rodgre » Sun Mar 16, 2008 1:21 pm

Thanks. I ended up doing the Freeze Selected Tracks business and it worked out just as well.

Man, I feel like such an idiot with DP, though. I can't even figure out how to resize windows and navigate my way around the screen.

Roger

emrr
buyin' a studio

Post by emrr » Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:01 am

I like the power DP exhibits, even with no add-ons. But the learning curve is steep. I'm 2 years in (14 years into recording as my 'job'), and feel like I'm just scratching the surface. After 2 months of working with DP I could barely do anything with it. A client showed up with a PT LE rig, which I'd never driven at all, and I discovered DP had pretty much taught me PT subconsciously, as I had no problem driving it at all. Not that I would want to have PT.
Doug Williams
ElectroMagnetic Radiation Recorders
Tape Op issue 73