Is any of this old gear worth keeping?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

LemonLess
audio school

Is any of this old gear worth keeping?

Post by LemonLess » Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:53 pm

Hello there, community. Me and some friends decided to step it up a notch so we officially call ourselves a band now. We have all the instruments we need of course, its the speaker department thats lacking.

We have a huge bass amp, not sure the exact watts on it, but it has a bass input and an "instrument" input and it is plenty loud and quality. We've been putting a guitar or my synth in through it as well. We also have quite a few various amps, probably between the three of us 5 or 6 amps. None of them are big enough for small gigging though, except the largest one which is 50W...but it sounds like crap.

SO, today we go to the guitar center sale to try to find some kind of solution for our sound problem. I end up getting a Roland 40W Keyboard Amp, after being assured it was good to go for small gigs. So we head home and jam, and The 40W is plenty loud enough but it cracks obnoxiously at high volumes. I looked it up and apparently this is a problem with all of these amps, not just mine. So I'm going back tomorrow to get my $180 or so.

Anyway. We're looking for some kind of speaker setup to fix all of our problems. I was thinking we should just get a PA system, and run everything but the bass through that. After a little bit of saving I'm sure we could find a decent system on craigslist. If you dont think this is the right solution for our problem please let me know what you'd do.

My friend got a bunch of old sound equipment when he was working last summer, and I just got around to trying to sell it. But while researching all of the stuff, I thought some of it may be worth keeping and using. Particularly the DBX 900. If someone could take a look at all of this stuff and let me know if any of it is practical for our situation, I would appreciate it. I know that some of it (the huge yamaha mixer) isnt what we should be looking for. But some of the stuff I cant find much info on online so I figured somebody on a sound forum might be able to help me out. Again it would be much appreciated 8).

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/msg/578666184.html
Last edited by LemonLess on Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.

operator_tape
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by operator_tape » Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:50 pm

all that stuff looks cool. The DBX rack looks wicked, so does the oldschool yamaha console.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:01 pm

after reading the manual and asking around, i wouldn't mind having that Yamaha myself, actually.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

winky dinglehoffer
buyin' a studio

Post by winky dinglehoffer » Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:09 am

Thoughts: the Yamaha board is nice enough, & might suit your needs just fine. It's not on the level of the much-discussed Pm1000/PM2000, but it's certainly okay.
The Graham-Patten should probably go on ebay.
The stuff in the dbx rack is not terribly exciting (I actually looked 'em up when I originally saw your post on cl), but it's a dbx rack, & you can always pick up other modules to put in it.
The Avid splitter & the monitor controller thing--probably not of any great use to you if you're just trying to set up a PA.

Of course, if you feel nothing's really appropriate to your current needs, sell it all & start from scratch.

LemonLess
audio school

Post by LemonLess » Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:37 am

Thanks for the input guys. I got my $ back at guitar center, I think I'm going to get a Peavy KB4 or something similar- an amp / PA kind of set up. We will probably use our amps for practice and small gigs, and for clubs and such just use the provided PA system.

I got an email from a guy in Seattle who's interested in the DBX with modules. He wants to know my price, but I have no clue of the value of this stuff, really. The rack has gone for both $50 and $100 on ebay, and the 411's have been listed at $100 for a pair but didnt sell. I cant find any price point on the 933 modules. Any suggestions on a good price for all of it? Im not trying to get every penny I can out of it, just sell it for a price that gives him a nice affordable addition to his setup and gives me some cash to improve mine.

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:57 pm

You know what's really weird--when i clicked that craigslist link, I was actually logged in as the poster, and could have edited the living crap out of the thing, if I wanted to.

Gorilla
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by Gorilla » Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:11 pm

The best advice I could give is play quieter. It's not that you shouldn't get a PA -- if you have a vocalist or two, you probably should get a PA of some kind -- BUT you said you have a lot of small amps around. You may not like the amps in terms of sound -- that's fine, but if you find you like the sound you just can't hear them over the drums, tell the drummer to play quieter. If he takes offense, say its a volume issue not a skill issue. If someone in the band has a louder amp and they're the only one that can be heard, tell them the same thing. Some people seem to only able to play loud and others can only tolerate a scenario where they are the loudest -- that usually doesn't work in a band.

Consider practice room volume the first test of being a band -- it will be the first of many many many. But it's worth it.
Gorilla

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:11 pm

inverseroom wrote:You know what's really weird--when i clicked that craigslist link, I was actually logged in as the poster, and could have edited the living crap out of the thing, if I wanted to.
i had the same thing happen.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

swelle
takin' a dinner break

Post by swelle » Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:43 pm

The 300 watt Alesis Sumo is a good alternative to a PA - it's a keyboard amp as well.

LemonLess
audio school

Post by LemonLess » Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:14 pm

Wow, the Alesis Sumo looks great especially for the price. Do you think that would be a better choice than a used Peavey KB4? The sumo would save me $120 but it gets flaky reviews on musicians friend...

EDIT: Ive been looking at amps online for a lot longer than is healthy today. The Sumo is out, I love alesis (im getting the amp for my micron after all) but from what I've read the sumo is pretty bad quality. I had narrowed it down to a bigger Roland until I decided to check Carvin and they have a 100W keybord amp (K15) that I think I might order. I cant find any reviews, but its Carvin so I doubt I'll be disappointed. Also its on sale for $360 right now...

lharless
takin' a dinner break

Post by lharless » Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:53 pm

somebody went in and edited it to read: "Lots of Audio Video Equipment for sale - Neve Console, API 500, more - $1 (Marietta)"

LemonLess
audio school

Post by LemonLess » Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:31 pm

lharless wrote:somebody went in and edited it to read: "Lots of Audio Video Equipment for sale - Neve Console, API 500, more - $1 (Marietta)"
Yeah I finally realized I put up the "manage" link in my original post...replaced it with the normal one now.

Anyway Im still trying to find info on the Carvin K15. I cant find a single opinion or review of it online, and Ive tried tons of google searches. Weird. If anyone can help me out here Id appreciate it.

lharless
takin' a dinner break

Post by lharless » Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:17 pm

i tried searching for you tonite, but no luck either. :(

j_howell
pushin' record

Post by j_howell » Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:53 am

Speaking of the Alesis Sumo, my brother is looking into one of those as a do-all generic bass and kb amp. If anybody's tried one, any opinion on it would be appreciated. Generally I like some of the newer Alesis stuff, especially the MODFx units, but some of it seems a little on the noisy side.
I like pie.

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:47 pm

JBL Eon G2.