Free MBOX, but no software install disc!

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

letsjumpnow
audio school graduate

Free MBOX, but no software install disc!

Post by letsjumpnow » Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:03 pm

Hey all,

In the process of building up his own studio, my friend has shed his ~4 year old Mbox and loaned it indefinitely to lowly ole me to begin my odyssey of learning recording. However, he's a pretty disorganized dude, and cannot find the CD with Mbox Protools that came with the Mbox. He says I can't use the Mbox without Protools, and can't download a free version either. Is he right? Is there anything I can do? Or should I just email Digidesign and tell them the problem?

Thank you!

Alec

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:13 pm

actually you should be able to use it with other software if you download the ASIO drivers from Digi (or maybe other ASIO drivers?).

You also may be able to buy PTLE if you call Digi and give them the serial # off the unit. Your friend may have to send in the transfer of ownership form too.
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

electrofloss
gettin' sounds

Post by electrofloss » Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:20 am

You can download Pro Tools 7.4 here http://store.digidesign.com/us/index.cf ... egoryid=16
$75 for the full install. Should work fine. I bought a used Mbox a couple of years ago and downloaded PT 6.9 from Digi's site. Never had to give a serial # or anything.

I'm assuming this should still work today with version 7, but I guess I can't say for sure.

(edited to fix link)

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:38 pm

electrofloss wrote: Never had to give a serial # or anything.
I bet you had to input your serial number when you created your Digi account (which you need to download or purhcase upgrades). I know I did. Pretty sure that $75 is the upgrade price.

so if you have the user's guide with the serial number it will be easier for you, otherwise you may have to call or email Digi.
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

electrofloss
gettin' sounds

Post by electrofloss » Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:20 am

you can definitely create a "profile" for free http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?nav ... &&logout=2

but now that i think of it, i didn't download the software - i actually ordered the DVD (i still had to create a profile to do that). when i installed it, it immediately recognized the Mbox and just had me put in the activation code that came with the DVD.

this is what happened, to the best of my recollection. my argument could fall apart under cross examination.

letsjumpnow
audio school graduate

Post by letsjumpnow » Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:53 pm

Thanks for your help, guys!

I went and created a profile, but when trying to register online, I don't have a registration ID. I have ProTools LE 7.4 now, but when I open it I get a message saying it can't locate DigiDesign hardware. I emailed Digidesign immediately after making this post and oddly never heard back!

Any ideas?

Thank you again!

AQ

palinilap
buyin' gear

Post by palinilap » Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:13 pm

letsjumpnow wrote:Thanks for your help, guys!

I went and created a profile, but when trying to register online, I don't have a registration ID. I have ProTools LE 7.4 now, but when I open it I get a message saying it can't locate DigiDesign hardware. I emailed Digidesign immediately after making this post and oddly never heard back!

Any ideas?

Thank you again!

AQ
Try restarting your computer with the MBox unplugged, and after booted up plug in the MBox and wait for Windows to ask to install drivers. Install those drivers and launch Pro Tools. If it doesn't ask try a different USB port, and if that doesn't work test other USB devices with your computer. If other USB devices work than there may be an incompatibility between your MBox and motherboard.