If I see these words, I immediatly lose interest...

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

thieves
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by thieves » Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:41 am

sears wrote: pocket
i understand most of the words dropped in this thread, but 'pocket' describes a very specific sound. why hate it?

sears
steve albini likes it

Post by sears » Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:56 pm

thieves wrote:i understand most of the words dropped in this thread, but 'pocket' describes a very specific sound. why hate it?
Some people think pocket is right on the beat, some think that it's specifically the bass playing behind the beat (and the drummer playing early on the one) and some people think the pocket is the area before and after each beat. I think the latter is most useful and unambiguous so when people throw around the term "pocket" without clarification it sounds sloppy.

"Pitchy" is another word that apparently has been made popular by American Idol and for which I have no use. So many great "pitchy" singers, both flat and sharp, through the years.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:33 pm

to me "pocket" just means "musicians playing well together."

thieves
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by thieves » Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:55 pm

sears wrote:
thieves wrote:i understand most of the words dropped in this thread, but 'pocket' describes a very specific sound. why hate it?
Some people think pocket is right on the beat, some think that it's specifically the bass playing behind the beat (and the drummer playing early on the one) and some people think the pocket is the area before and after each beat. I think the latter is most useful and unambiguous so when people throw around the term "pocket" without clarification it sounds sloppy.

"Pitchy" is another word that apparently has been made popular by American Idol and for which I have no use. So many great "pitchy" singers, both flat and sharp, through the years.
i think of 'pocket' in your terms as well... like anything funky in the 70's. it's a bit hard to describe, but you could throw on head hunters, and that would explain it.

TheForgotten
gettin' sounds

Post by TheForgotten » Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:58 pm

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:to me "pocket" just means "musicians playing well together."
"pocket" makes me think of various meats and cheeses in a little prison made of bread.

honkyjonk
dead but not forgotten

Post by honkyjonk » Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:06 pm

How about the word "beat"

"Check out this beat"

Okay, which one? You mean that first quarter note? Yeah, that was pretty awesome.
Though, the second beat was much less persuasive. Thank goodness that third beat came back in so powerful like that. I was beginning to wonder.
Stilgar, we've got wormsign the likes of which God has never seen!

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:13 pm

TheForgotten wrote:
MoreSpaceEcho wrote:to me "pocket" just means "musicians playing well together."
"pocket" makes me think of various meats and cheeses in a little prison made of bread.
"a little prison made of bread" makes me think of any job in the straight world.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

BandyLou
alignin' 24-trk

Post by BandyLou » Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:17 am

"Check out this beat"

yeah... that's a weird one. It's that hip hop thing, where everything that you hear that's not the emcee rapping is the "beat," made by the "producer."

NarxistDan
alignin' 24-trk

Post by NarxistDan » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:45 am

"a little prison made of bread" makes me think of any job in the straight world.
:rofl:

Calling it a beat keeps you focused on what's important to that audience. i.e. not harmonic and melodic development.
Rehearse More
Edit Less

swelle
takin' a dinner break

Post by swelle » Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:25 pm

Transparent
Pro gear, pro attitude

Jay Reynolds
carpal tunnel

Post by Jay Reynolds » Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:40 pm

thecheat wrote:"We Got Dem Reasons."
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously, why is it always "Reasons"? I get Earth, Wind, and Fire stuck in my head when I hear someone needlessly pluralize Reason. I always want to ask if they "got Cubases and Sonars too".
Prog out with your cog out.

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:55 pm

A good way to screen out some of these words is to think of an opposite word or phrase. If no opposite comes readily to mind then you may be dealing with a bunk word.

Opposite of "pitchy": "in tune". Green light.
Opposite of "vintage": "New-ish". Yellow light.
Opposite of "colored", "punchy": ??????? RED LIGHT DO NOT PASS GO

"Pocket" somehow passes muster, IMO, without having an opposite. Everybody knows what it means relative to music.

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:56 pm

superaction80 wrote:
thecheat wrote:"We Got Dem Reasons."
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously, why is it always "Reasons"? I get Earth, Wind, and Fire stuck in my head when I hear someone needlessly pluralize Reason. I always want to ask if they "got Cubases and Sonars too".
Maybe it's the fault of that damned Pro Tool. Pro Tool ruin everything.

NarxistDan
alignin' 24-trk

Post by NarxistDan » Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:36 pm

Opposite of "colored", "punchy": ??????? RED LIGHT DO NOT PASS GO
opposite of colored (i.e. Neve, API, Mbox) = transparent (i.e. Millennia, Grace, SSL, Lavry)

Sure, nothing is actually 100% transparent, but colored is a very useful adjective to describe how much input resembles output. Do you really not understand me if I say "I prefer converters that are more transparent than those in my (insert prosumer interface here). It's really colored and I don't like the color. That's why I dropped more money on my Lavry Golds than I have invested in my car (hypothetically speaking)."

Please tell me what is wrong with the following sentances:
"You can set a distressor so that it is very colored or you can set it to be more transparent, depending on how you want to use it."
"I prefer to track with a colored console and mix with a more transparent console when it's possible."

opposite of punchy (i.e. 2254 or API 2500) = smooth or glossy (i.e. Manley V-Mu)

"Vintage" to describe how something sounds seems way less legit to me than "colored" or "punchy". For instance, let's say you're in an unfamiliar studio and someone there (whom you trust and respect) tells you a compressor you don't know sounds "punchy". Isn't that's a hell of a lot more useful than telling you it sounds "vintage"? I probably wouldn't use it for dynamics control on a poorly played synth pad after hearing that description.

opposite of warm = cold, bright, brittle

To me "pocket" usually means "the drums and bass are working together". Its opposite is "jam-band".

I don't mean to be a dick here. I'm just defending my use of many words y'all are telling me are meaningless, which I think have a very specific and useful meaning (pocket aside).
Rehearse More
Edit Less

swelle
takin' a dinner break

Post by swelle » Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:46 pm

If 'pocket' means anything to me, it is a tight relationship between bass & kick drum, i.e. Levon & Danko, Dunn & Jackson, etc.