If I see these words, I immediatly lose interest...

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

Jay Reynolds
carpal tunnel

Post by Jay Reynolds » Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:37 pm

swelle wrote:If 'pocket' means anything to me, it is a tight relationship between bass & kick drum, i.e. Levon & Danko, Dunn & Jackson, etc.
Check out the last 2-3 minutes of "Shake Everything You Got" on Maceo Parker's Life On Planet Groove. Three horn players and the crowd clapping on 2 and 4. Mace, Fred and Pee Wee are so nails they keep the audience "in the pocket".
Prog out with your cog out.

lancebug
re-cappin' neve

Post by lancebug » Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:31 pm

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:
dubsymmetry wrote:blue leds.
i had to put a piece of electrical tape over the one on my benchmark DAC it`s so damn bright.

i don`t like the term "colored".

my new boss at my day job speaks, totally earnestly, about promoting "synergy". and she makes the gesture with her hands when she says it. you know the one. i had to bite my lip to keep from laughing.
I just bit my lip and it didn't work :rofl:

sears
steve albini likes it

Post by sears » Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:23 am

Please don't take me as the "pocket troll" but it seems like everyone has a different idea of what pocket is. A jam band can't have a pocket?

If pocket mean the rhythm section is cooking or that the band is playing together, then "pocket" sounds like one of those words musicians use to exclude non-musicians, which is one of the reasons my eyes glaze when someone uses it.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:15 am

i don't think anyone is using "pocket" to exclude anyone else, it's just a term of the trade. same as "on top", "behind", "comping", etc.

lotusstudio
pushin' record

Post by lotusstudio » Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:54 am

Hey, I like "vibe" and I also like "organic".

A little off topic, but I have to say, "post punk" - what the fuck is that?!

But really I'm networking here, because there's a real disconnect. Clearly, we need synergy. So I'm touching base here to make sure we're on the same page, because at the end of the day, it is what it is. Moving forward, the bottom line is, what the American People want, is to unleash a firestorm on the subprime people, just to send a message (to all Canadians). How cool is that? The situation on the ground is to die for, absolutely, pushing the envelope and now they're moving the goalposts under the radar. Without a doubt, we must support the troops or it's a death sentence, so I'm doin' it for the kids because the children are our future. But that's a whole 'nother story, so just leave it because I have a meeting, then, at the end of the day, when the fat lady sings and the dust settles and the smoke clears, in the final analysis and after all is said and done, I'll have to crunch some numbers to see how it affects my bottom line. :ar15: Ya know what I'm sayin'? :hammer:
You just got to keep puttin' the good stuff out there

http://www.myspace.com/jimlotusstudio

http://www.myspace.com/vangoghsear500

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:23 am

You hit the nail on the head.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

lotusstudio
pushin' record

Post by lotusstudio » Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:56 am

And YOU hit the head on the nutshell.

Put that in gynecological order and send it to me viva the fax :o
You just got to keep puttin' the good stuff out there

http://www.myspace.com/jimlotusstudio

http://www.myspace.com/vangoghsear500

thieves
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by thieves » Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:49 am

lotusstudio wrote:Hey, I like "vibe" and I also like "organic".

A little off topic, but I have to say, "post punk" - what the fuck is that?!

But really I'm networking here, because there's a real disconnect. Clearly, we need synergy. So I'm touching base here to make sure we're on the same page, because at the end of the day, it is what it is. Moving forward, the bottom line is, what the American People want, is to unleash a firestorm on the subprime people, just to send a message (to all Canadians). How cool is that? The situation on the ground is to die for, absolutely, pushing the envelope and now they're moving the goalposts under the radar. Without a doubt, we must support the troops or it's a death sentence, so I'm doin' it for the kids because the children are our future. But that's a whole 'nother story, so just leave it because I have a meeting, then, at the end of the day, when the fat lady sings and the dust settles and the smoke clears, in the final analysis and after all is said and done, I'll have to crunch some numbers to see how it affects my bottom line. :ar15: Ya know what I'm sayin'? :hammer:
oh no, i didn't know my boss posted here. i guess no more message boards at the office

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:09 am

*fires copywriters...over an open flame*
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

swelle
takin' a dinner break

Post by swelle » Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:49 am

"We're not in the music business here... we're in the lifestyle business..."

k Holmes
pluggin' in mics

Post by k Holmes » Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:39 pm

everyone has a different idea of what pocket is

This video, at 55 seconds, is Pocket

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIdIqbv7 ... re=related

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:34 pm

k Holmes wrote:

that is beautiful.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

beejunk
audio school

Post by beejunk » Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:32 pm

Tatertot wrote:
superaction80 wrote:
thecheat wrote:"We Got Dem Reasons."
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously, why is it always "Reasons"? I get Earth, Wind, and Fire stuck in my head when I hear someone needlessly pluralize Reason. I always want to ask if they "got Cubases and Sonars too".
Maybe it's the fault of that damned Pro Tool. Pro Tool ruin everything.
I attempted to resist the urge to make an "all your Cubases are belong to us" joke. I failed. Also, I am so three years ago.

To add to the thread: The analog vs. digital debate makes me want to kill myself, and so I'm with the others who hate the word WARM. It is the word used by analog partisans who don't know the real differences between analog and digital, except that one uses puters. There are lots of good reasons to go analog, but please please please don't say it's because it makes the music sound warm.

LeedyGuy
tinnitus

Post by LeedyGuy » Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:11 am

RefD wrote:
k Holmes wrote:

that is beautiful.
Totally. Find that Stevie Wonder on Sesame Street video playing "Superstition" and you won't even have to wait 50 seconds to hear pocket like the world has never seen. Then, somehow, on the third verse, they start to get even deeper in it.

Also, check out Sam and Dave's "Hold on I'm Comin'" and "You Don't Know Like I Know" if you still don't get it.

The thing about pocket is that two bands can play the exact same arrangement of a song but one can play it with a sweet ass pocket and one without. It's an elusive "thing" that is hard to describe, but you know it when it is there if you know what to listen for. Once you hear an insane pocket, you become addicted to hearing music that has that feeling and forsake all else.

-Ken
Current band - www.myspace.com/nickafflittomusic
My music - www.myspace.com/kenadessamusic
Recording space - www.myspace.com/twinreverbsound
HOT soul music - www.enzoandthebakers.com
Freelance drum hookups available constantly

stompforfuzz
gettin' sounds

Post by stompforfuzz » Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:51 am

RefD wrote:
k Holmes wrote:

that is beautiful.
Apparently, I like "pocket"

And, to also sound 3 years ago!

All your cubase are belong to us! You have no chance to quantize, make your time!
tear out your heart and make them wear it around their neck so they'll understand