F.U.B.A.R.

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

getreel
carpal tunnel

Post by getreel » Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:18 pm

The current Gibson guitars suck anyway. Overpriced, cheezy, etc.
In my experience, the new Gibson's are really pretty good. My 2005 SG was absolutely perfect right out of the box from Gibson. My Faded V was also perfect when I bought it. Both have held up great and continue to sounds and play as well as they did the day I bought them. I have virtually quit playing anything but Gibson's in the past few years because their quality and setups are very good. Now it could be that after they sit on the rack forever and been demoed a bunch, they could be neglected and start to suck a little, but who knows. I could have gotten lucky with mine, although friends I've referred have largely had the same experience with new Gibson instruments.

RedCrownStudios
pushin' record

Post by RedCrownStudios » Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:02 pm

I geuss they are adding even more people to the lawsuit.
http://blog.wired.com/games/2008/03/gib ... s-via.html
I'd imagine there will be a lot people like us, musician/studio types who like blowing off a little steam with Guitar Hero, who now pretty much have a bad taste in their mouth about them now.
Good job alienating your customer base Gibson!
Marshall Baker
Media Designer
Tulsa, Ok
www.MarshallBaker.com
www.MarshallandRoxy.com

wedge
tinnitus

Post by wedge » Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:41 pm

Gibson may be douchbags, but they *did* invent the electric guitar... At least, Les Paul did...

AstroDan
george martin

Post by AstroDan » Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:26 am

Actually, they laughed and passed on Les Paul's idea, until Fender struck gold with their first solidbodies. So they've always been son's of bitches.
"I have always tried to present myself as the type of person who enjoys watching dudes fight other dudes with iron claws."

Jay Reynolds
carpal tunnel

Post by Jay Reynolds » Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:15 am

So Mrs. superaction80 and I just were at the local Circuit City and I could help thinking about this whole fracas as I watched a woman leaving the store with a copy of GH 3. And, while there, I noticed the short aisle where they have actual, functioning guitars for sale by such manufacturers as First Act and (drum-roll please)...GIBSON USA! So, now that I'm back home and have access to the internets again, I revisit the MSNBC article and, wonder of wonders, find the Circuit City is NOT named in their lawsuit.
Maybe the suit against the retailers is merely a move to get them to sell Epiphones...
Prog out with your cog out.

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:24 am

superaction80 wrote:So Mrs. superaction80 and I just were at the local Circuit City and I could help thinking about this whole fracas as I watched a woman leaving the store with a copy of GH 3. And, while there, I noticed the short aisle where they have actual, functioning guitars for sale by such manufacturers as First Act and (drum-roll please)...GIBSON USA! So, now that I'm back home and have access to the internets again, I revisit the MSNBC article and, wonder of wonders, find the Circuit City is NOT named in their lawsuit.
Maybe the suit against the retailers is merely a move to get them to sell Epiphones...
It's like the schoolyard bully method of letting a girl know you like her: shove her into a puddle. Gibson wants to make deals with these retailers so it courts them with a hostile act (lawsuit).

They lost me forever when they stopped letting small shops stock their guitars and instead focused on huge retailer exclusively.

Their customer base consists of 45 year old lawyers and doctors who will drop $2500 on something if it's "authentic" according to a GC mailer; and they also buy Les Pauls for their kids to use in rock ensembles at church. A little IP lawsuit ain't gonna scare any of those customers away.

(Apologies to the many real musicians out there who have found a new Gibson and fallen in love with it. I respect that but I'm saying that you're not really the kind of customer Gibson cares much about anymore)

dsw
tinnitus

Post by dsw » Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:16 pm

Gibson is also responsible for the demise of Oberhiem and Opcode, both compalnies they bought and killed.
Now they are merging with TC Electronics. How long before TC goes down?
I have a friend who used to carry Gibson in his shop (small Mom and Pop and instrument repair service) until they told him he had to stock every model they made to remain a dealer.
In my book, they are assholes.

Jay Reynolds
carpal tunnel

Post by Jay Reynolds » Sat Mar 22, 2008 3:06 pm

dsw wrote: I have a friend who used to carry Gibson in his shop (small Mom and Pop and instrument repair service) until they told him he had to stock every model they made to remain a dealer.
This is why you wil only find their products in Guitar Center, for the most part. Everybody else told them where to go (including, as legend has it, Richie Ash (of the Sam Ash lineage) in very colorful language in a hotel bar after the NAMM show).
Last edited by Jay Reynolds on Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Prog out with your cog out.

thunderboy
buyin' a studio

Post by thunderboy » Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:36 pm

Tatertot wrote: So Gibson suing over the distinctive appearance of a Les Paul is not so far-fetched. It still pisses me off though. Fuck 'em - I don't buy their guitars anyway.
The suit speaks to the nature of GH itself, not the guitars depicted within the game. The title of the allegedly violated patent is:

"System and Method for Generating and Controlling a Simulated Musical Concert Experience"

Still retarded, though.

jt
"most toreadors worth a damn are circumcized."
- Discs of Tron