Marshall

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

ctmsound
george martin

Post by ctmsound » Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:17 am

The new Marshall Vintage Modern heads are sounding really good. I'd check one of those out too. I was impressed.

2121TrumbullAve
gimme a little kick & snare

korg plastic

Post by 2121TrumbullAve » Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:14 am

plastic, plastic, plastic!

i don't care how they sound, they ooze lack of quality...

many of these actually have plastic instrument inputs. can you believe korg would forgo a metal input jack to save a few cents per unit sold?

fuck them and their cheese products. resting on their laurels. most marshall combos at GC have ripped tolex and knobs missing just from a few test runs. christ, a 90$ valve junior has far superior build quality.

a few extra hundred for a dr z or similar is the way to go, as it is with most gear...buy stuff that has good resale value!
*insert pricey DAW specs here

blakbeltjonez

Post by blakbeltjonez » Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:27 am

for what it's worth, the backline company that i work for has a couple of stock (factory tubes) reissue JCM800's in rental stock and i've gotten unsolicited positive comments from a few players who request 800's on thier riders - i can't comment on the internal build quality or how they will hold up over the long run, but i think the JCM800 reissue would hold more long term value than any "extra bells & whistles" Marshall that isn't regarded as a "classic" Marshall.

blakbeltjonez

Re: korg plastic

Post by blakbeltjonez » Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:29 am

2121TrumbullAve wrote:plastic, plastic, plastic!

i don't care how they sound, they ooze lack of quality...

many of these actually have plastic instrument inputs. can you believe korg would forgo a metal input jack to save a few cents per unit sold?

fuck them and their cheese products. resting on their laurels. most marshall combos at GC have ripped tolex and knobs missing just from a few test runs. christ, a 90$ valve junior has far superior build quality.

a few extra hundred for a dr z or similar is the way to go, as it is with most gear...buy stuff that has good resale value!

the o.g. 800's had plastic jacks as well........ which are a pain in the ass and will ultimately break, but that's how it is.

Corey Y
re-cappin' neve

Post by Corey Y » Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:16 pm

For the price of a new Vintage Modern or 800 re-issue you could probably fine an 80s 800 2203 in good condition. They're rising in price, like anything else that's over 15 years old it seems, but they're still around for good prices and I personally think they sound better than most of the new and re-issue Marshalls, especially the 2000 series.

0xeneye
pushin' record

Post by 0xeneye » Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:17 pm

Yeah the newer models Ive seen and heard sound like a storm of nails. Totally unusable in the studio. The vintage models are better, but of course expensive.

If you wanted a good Marshall sound, I would hang out at 18watt.com for a month or so and research. Amps are not rocket science, at least, good ones aren't.
0x

kdarr
buyin' gear

Post by kdarr » Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:31 pm

Those VM heads are all ribbon cables & Chinese RoHs solder.

The first few waves of them blew up output xfrmrs like crazy. And that's BEFORE the warranties expire.

Your call, though, of course.

[<|>]

rolandk
buyin' gear

Post by rolandk » Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:44 pm

Another thing to consider- the 2203 is 100W, which will be ungodly loud if you go for the classic cranked Marshall sound. For a studio amp I'd look for something with much less power. I have a 2204 and at 50W is still very, very, loud.
my band: Mission 5

Trick Fall
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Trick Fall » Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:50 pm

rolandk wrote:Another thing to consider- the 2203 is 100W, which will be ungodly loud if you go for the classic cranked Marshall sound. For a studio amp I'd look for something with much less power. I have a 2204 and at 50W is still very, very, loud.
Oh how my 2204 makes my ears ring. I can't imagine using the 100 watt.

blixton
takin' a dinner break

Post by blixton » Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:31 pm

Im a synth guy but got the fever for a nice guitar set up. I did just a little bit of research and I have to admit Im not as versed in the details of the guitar world.

Ive bought a gibson SG and a David Bray marshal 87 reissue mod. David has yet to deliver, but I told him to take his time.

Im not one of these people that are into the voodoo of amps. I haven't been mystifying myself long enough. Some people just have to have vintage or they can't get a full nights sleep. I understand this line of thinking with synths. Nothing will do for bass lines except my Minimoog early oscillator board. I just went with my ears. I heard some clips of David's Brays amps and ways BLOWN AWAY..I had to get one. I honestly can not think of an amp sounding any better even with youtube compression. I am concerned now though about the build quality of the reissues. I paid list price too. Damn. Oh well.

evilaudio
buyin' gear

Post by evilaudio » Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:47 am

To anyone who cares: I got the 2203x and am totally happy with it. It sounds awesome. Yes, it's loud as FUKK, but that's fine with me. I have an older str8 peavey 5150 for a cabinet. Such tone! thanx for the advice, everyone. Should do me just fine.
Blah!

linus
re-cappin' neve

Post by linus » Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:06 pm

crow wrote:
also, the 80's carvin x-series amps are great sounding marshall copies and quite affordable. i was skeptical, but i fixed one for a friend a few months ago and fell in love with it.
I owned an 80's carvin X-series 1/2 stack new back in the 80's. I had it for several years and although I always liked the ckean sound the distorted sounds were always weak and anemic. I never found them to be in anyway Marshall-like. In fact when I finally got rid of the head I replaced it with a Maarshall 800 series 50 watt head. Completely different animal.

YMMV but I don't think those Carvin amps are Marshally at all.

Congrats on your Marshall purchase. Sounds like you mde the right decision.

Oh, and when those 800 series Marshalls were new everybody thought they were shite and wanted old plexi's. Funny how things get more respect the older they get. I wonder what current models people hate now but will crave in 20 years.
Check out my website for cool songs recorded and played by me with Steve Goulding of the Mekons on drums. Drums were recorded by our own Joel H at Studio G.
www.linusNYC.com

Professor T
pushin' record

Post by Professor T » Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:49 pm

the dsl and tsl

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:02 pm

http://www.soldano.com/

from the website..
The 21st century has always held great promise. In the 1950?s, everyone looked to the new millennium and assumed we?d be zipping around in our own personalized rocketships and spending vacation time on the Moon and Mars or in underwater ?bubble cities?. Although, unfortunately, these things have not yet come to pass, there is no denying that technology has advanced exponentially in the last fifty years. And though we have made great leaps forward in technology, there is something to be said for the past. Things were made to last and there was certain pride in craftsmanship. That pride in craftsmanship is still alive and well here at Soldano Custom Amplification. And, in a time when more and more manufacturers are sadly succumbing to the lure of quick profits promised by the ?new economy? and ?planned obsolescence?, I flatly refuse to go there. As I see it, the model for this ?new economy? is all about image and hype, and all too often product quality is compromised so that more money and effort can be pumped into the marketing machine.

At Soldano Custom Amplification, we choose to put our money into obtaining the best parts available and then spending the time to carefully assemble these parts by hand to create the highest quality and most reliable guitar amplifiers possible. Our attention to detail borders on the obsessive. We don?t have an assembly line, nor do we subcontract subassemblies out to ?developing nations?. Every amp is crafted here at our shop in Seattle, and each is wired, start to finish, by one technician. We stand by our products through the years and take great pride in all the great musicians who have chosen to play through our amps in this millennium and the last.

0xeneye
pushin' record

Post by 0xeneye » Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:15 am

There is some very good advice here. The new Marshall amps are not what they are meant to be - I've seen the re-issues and the DSL and the TSL and all that, they are some of the most problematic amps I've heard, I spent 45 minutes trying to get a good sound out of a $1500 DSL model one night, gave up.

There are great options for amps everywhere. One amp cannot solve every problem. I would wait till I heard what I wanted, then go get it.

Big caution - amps in stores are shipped with tubes that have the least chance of failure - these tubes usually sound like shite, so NEVER base a decision on sound in the store, unless you can sneak in your own Mullards (I've done that before!!!!)
0x