protools is fun for people who love to loose hours of work

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

pixeltarian
buyin' gear

protools is fun for people who love to loose hours of work

Post by pixeltarian » Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:04 am

I was wondering if anyone might have an idea as to why protools would crash when I change plugin settings or move plugins to another track...

I've stopped using protools for now, and use tracktion. A. because it only crashes once in a blue moon, and B. when the moon is blue, it saves all my work even if I didn't save it.
The problem with your average autosave is that I might not want to save my progress all the time, sometimes I like to sit back and go "well this idea sucked, time to close and not save."

However, I've heard that pro tools is exclusive with their hardware and software because it's more 'stable' or something like that. Is this true/ should it be the most stable DAW I use because it has be magically matched with my Mbox2?

and if so, I just would love to know how to make it stop crashing when fiddling with plugins. I'm running windows XP pro service pack 2, 2GB ram, Athlon 64x2 4800+ CPU.

someone told me I should get a dsp card or something. That just doesn't sound like someone that has a piddly little mbox should have to do...

oh wise tape op computer guru, grant me the answers I seek.
thanks.
"Every person who wins in any undertaking must be willing to cut all sources of retreat."
- Napoleon Hill

http://www.jeffreyjamesmusic.com
spook folk

http://www.myspace.com/tonguesonpaper
electro atmospheric rock

rwc
resurrected

Post by rwc » Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:00 am

That's what I love about Logic. In the rare case that it crashes it saves a session file, a separate file from what you are working on, at the exact time of the crash, so you lose nothing. With Nuendo and Pro Tools I simply lose my work.

I imagine this is of less consequence to people working on consoles. :lol:
Real friends stab you in the front.

Oscar Wilde

Failed audio engineer & pro studio tech turned Component level motherboard repair store in New York

Mark Alan Miller
dead but not forgotten

Post by Mark Alan Miller » Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:27 am

Hm. My PT M-Powered system (M-Powered 7.4/Firewire 410/dual-core Mac Mini) is no less stable than anything else I use. Rarely gives me any grief (unless I try to change the external clocking for the 410 - but I can't blame that on PT.)

Does it happen with a particular plug-in? Start with a deliberate process-of-elimination to see if you can find the culprit component. Or, as they often say, have you tried reinstalling?
he took a duck in the face at two and hundred fifty knots.

http://www.radio-valkyrie.com/ao/aoindex.htm - download the new record (free is an option!) or get it on CD.

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:02 am

It's got to be a glitch with one or more of the plug-ins. I'd try a re-install first, then find the plug in folder in the program files and move them to somewhere else (like a folder on your desk top). Then start putting back plug ins till you find the one that's causing the problem.
Also, you can set-up our PT system to auto save sessions. The saved sessions get put in a folder in the session file (I think its labeled session back-ups). My system backs up every 5 minutes. Look in the preferences to set this up.

If all else fails you could move this talk over to the Pro Tools forum on the Digidesign site. Lots of god info over there

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:57 am

Is your RAM matched? All of the same make, model and speed?

fossiltooth
carpal tunnel

Post by fossiltooth » Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:16 am

I find Pro Tools to be EXTREMELY solid. You just have to use an operating system and PT version that are compatible.

...maybe you're not.

Go to www.digidesign.com, click on the support tab. Click PTLE, and look under "Compatibility".

Many people who run DAWs on their personal computers are constantly "upgrading" to an incompatible OS and then complaining about crashes. That's actually "Pilot Error". If you are on a Mac, turn the auto updater off!
Last edited by fossiltooth on Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

jwd
audio school graduate

Post by jwd » Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:13 pm

i agree that pt is quite stable under most appropriate conditions and that this sounds like a plugin issue, not a pt issue. ive noticed this problem mostly with pirated plugins. not saying that's the case here, but i have seen this as a plugin issue more often than not.

pixeltarian
buyin' gear

Post by pixeltarian » Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:18 am

@?,*???&? wrote:Is your RAM matched? All of the same make, model and speed?
I don't have more than one stick. and it's 2GB of DDR2 ram.
"Every person who wins in any undertaking must be willing to cut all sources of retreat."
- Napoleon Hill

spook folk

electro atmospheric rock

pixeltarian
buyin' gear

Post by pixeltarian » Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:26 am

fossiltooth wrote:Pro Tools is EXTREMELY solid.

You just have to use an operating system and PT version that are compatible.

...I bet you're not.

Go to www.digidesign.com, click on the support tab. Click PTLE, and look under "Compatibility".

People who run DAWs on their personal computers are constantly "upgrading" to an incompatible OS and then complaining about crashes. That's known as "Pilot Error".

Are you on a Mac? Turn the auto updater off!
well I'm running windows XP sp2 (just upped to service pack 3 yesterday) with a good amount of cpu speed and ram. I went through the checklist of recommended settings before I even plugged the m-box in.
- Napoleon Hill

spook folk

electro atmospheric rock

stinkpot
pushin' record

Post by stinkpot » Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:22 am

Have you tried deleting your DAE prefs folder, restarting and relaunching PT?

It should be under Program Files > Common Files > Digidesign

Kill the whole DAE prefs folder.

Jay Reynolds
carpal tunnel

Post by Jay Reynolds » Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:37 am

pixeltarian wrote:

...I bet you're not.

People who run DAWs on their personal computers are constantly "upgrading" to an incompatible OS and then complaining about crashes. That's known as "Pilot Error".

well I'm running windows XP sp2 (just upped to service pack 3 yesterday) with a good amount of cpu speed and ram. I went through the checklist of recommended settings before I even plugged the m-box in.
Have you checked to see if your motherboard and other hardware are on Digi's compatible list? They do operate from a "promise a little and deliver a lot" philospohy when it comes to exactly which hardware configs they will sign off on.
Prog out with your cog out.

pixeltarian
buyin' gear

Post by pixeltarian » Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:21 am

superaction80 wrote:
pixeltarian wrote:

...I bet you're not.

Have you checked to see if your motherboard and other hardware are on Digi's compatible list? They do operate from a "promise a little and deliver a lot" philospohy when it comes to exactly which hardware configs they will sign off on.
I'm having trouble finding the page you're talking about. Perhaps digi tweaked their site a bit?

It could definitely be my motherboard though. I bought a new computer and I think I got a crappy motherboard which is making my whole damn computer slow. I'm glad to know there is a compatibility list, so I can find it there.

is there a "best" motherboard to use for PT? or are all the ones on the compatibility list created equal?
- Napoleon Hill

spook folk

electro atmospheric rock

pixeltarian
buyin' gear

ding ding

Post by pixeltarian » Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:52 am

"The graphics controller needs to be a dedicated AGP or PCIe"
that's probably the problem, right?

my new board has integrated graphics. arrg! I should have stuck with my old computer it was a very well built machine and not too old. I feel like I "upgraded" to a piece of junk in order to have "PCIe" and "DDR2" and Athlon "64 dual core"
- Napoleon Hill

spook folk

electro atmospheric rock

Jay Reynolds
carpal tunnel

Post by Jay Reynolds » Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:27 pm

Hard to say if your video card (or lack thereof) is the issue for sure. Is there no AGP slot on your MOBO? More than likely, having your DAW run on a built-in video setup is going to be a problem in most cases anyway.
As far as Digi goes, I know that if you aren't using a setup that matches their compatible list, they won't guarantee it will work. If fact, I've heard stories where tech support has told PT users (in not so many words), "Sorry about your luck. You'll need to build a new machine". Usually, for PT, its a good idea to go with Apple (provided that they haven't just launched a new OS or changed CPU manufacturers again) or build a Windows machine from parts on their compatible list.
Prog out with your cog out.

b3groover
deaf.

Post by b3groover » Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:15 pm

Could be the graphic card. Buy an inexpensive PCI-e graphic card (I recently got one for less than $50 that has dual-monitor outs and works great) and see if that solves the problem. Integrated video cards are usually crap... then again, that's all laptops have so...

What make and model is the mobo?
www.organissimo.org
organissimo - Dedicated (new CD)
"This shitty room is making your next hit record, bitch!"