Another night as a house soundguy... Sigh.

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

CraigM
pluggin' in mics

Post by CraigM » Sat Mar 22, 2008 3:23 pm

Gentleman Jim, I totaly agree with you. Like I said I can only speculate why dude was so pissed. I'm a stickler for starting on time whether anybody is in the room or not.
On occasion though, I have shown up to play a show and was told to start BEFORE the time posted on the door, and even once BEFORE the doors opened! :shock:
Let me say I'm sure this wasn't the case here. I wonder if the order of bands got switched around putting them in a different time slot than they were originally told or was the singer just pissed in general about something else?
Still there is no excuse for flicking cigarettes at people and throwing fits. Bummer.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:39 pm

Let me say that Roboburger is one of the best live sound guys I've ever had the pleasure of working with on any stage in any country. I played in 23 different cities outside of the Charlotte area last year and he was the most together sound guy I dealt with. He makes dealing with Atlanta traffic to play at his place bearable. He also happens to make pretty damn good live discs of the show for the bands. The dude is 100% attentive when the band is on stage and when they're not. The monitors always sound great and soundcheck is fast when it needs to be and slow when it's not. His printed attitude here is not bullshit at all. That's his deal.

There are a small handful of sound guys who have stood out to me as exceptional in the 21 years I've been playing in clubs. Roboburger is high on the list. The Earl is lucky to have him.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

No Wave Casio Kitsch
re-cappin' neve

Post by No Wave Casio Kitsch » Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:28 pm

He's got your video posted on their myspace now. :D

touched1
pushin' record

Post by touched1 » Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:09 am

Roboburger wrote: I will say this in all honesty- I have a weird sense of humor, bordering on shitty. I didn't think the episode was Horrible, I thought it was funny. perhaps that's cruel... I dunno. Maybe in a few days I'll feel like a jerk for pissing on the kid. Probably not.

I definetly would not have made the video if he wasn't such a pretentious tool.
Robo, don't second guess yourself.
You went above and beyond in accommodating this ill mannered untalented twerp.
It sounds to me like you handled it more professionally than most would've.
Seriously, don't beat yourself up over this.

As for the video posting. It's the age of the internet, all is fair game. If someone wants to act like an ass in public venue, they should be damn well ready for it to be on youtube in the next 90 minutes.

I did live sound through much of the 90's and never really played well with others when I worked as the house guy. (It's good to know one's own limitations. I did better as a touring FOH engineer for bands.) My career as a house engineer ended when I physically tossed from the soundbooth (as in airborne) a band's engineer when he put his hands on me out of frustration of inability to get a decent mix. He had it coming. I don't regret it a bit.

If I could do it over, I'd have popped the guy in the nose before tossing him from the booth.

Roboburger
buyin' gear

Post by Roboburger » Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:25 pm

Thanks for the kind words and positive feedback- I consider all of you my peers, and your opinions are valuable.

I thought about it some more yesterday, and I realized that the video is funny to me for the same reason that this (short) video is funny:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzG_oHDLZdc

Really the only problem is in the mind of the supposed victim. Any rational person of modest means would think that her complaining is unwarranted, because she obviously has so much in life- to complain about the color of a free sportscar is just so unexpected that it makes me laugh. (However, I guess there's some people out there that could say that maybe she has a legitimate complaint- if her Dad knew what color of car she wanted, then he has let her down. )

When the guy from the band has gotten everything that any musician could reasonably expect about the situation, but then stands on stage pissing and moaning... I find a little dark humor there.

Also- He wanted more people to see their set, and the video has been hit a thousand times- He's getting exactly what he wanted! (and I find a little humor in that, too.)
Audio Engineer Euphemism for going number two: "Rollin' off the Low End."

Roboburger
buyin' gear

Post by Roboburger » Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:45 pm

No Wave Casio Kitsch wrote:He's got your video posted on their myspace now. :D
Holy Shit! Well, then. Maybe the entire thing was an extended length performance, and I was fooled. Maybe this was his plan all along. (Mmmmmmm... No.)

However, I thought for sure the reaction was gonna be more of the same- angry yelling, or the threat of a lawsuit. You can imagine. If he can take the criticism, maybe there's hope for his artistic side after all!

LeedyGuy
tinnitus

Post by LeedyGuy » Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:13 pm

Dude, how many drink tickets did you give them? 200?

Why did the bass player bring more than one string?

guy on the right: "But MOOOOMMM!! I need your tray table tonight for my gig!! I promise not to get any drugs on it this time! PLEEEEEEEASE MOMMEEEYY! DAAAD!! Where's did you put your laptop! I have to gooooo!!"
Current band - www.myspace.com/nickafflittomusic
My music - www.myspace.com/kenadessamusic
Recording space - www.myspace.com/twinreverbsound
HOT soul music - www.enzoandthebakers.com
Freelance drum hookups available constantly

GooberNumber9
tinnitus

Post by GooberNumber9 » Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:05 pm

Roboburger wrote:instead of saying "I didn't realize that that was our set! This is not fair." which he said to me.
Wow. I honestly thought that whole time that they knew it was their set and that was their idea of a good show. Wow. Wowie wow. I'll never think I've had it bad as a sound guy again. What the heck did you say back to him at that point? I mean, I would have just gaped at him without the ability to process language any more.

I have to say, the part where the guy asked for the stack mic to be turned up to accentuate the 30 seconds of (theremin?) noise was the only part that made me laugh, but I almost peed myself. I guess after watching all four parts i finally entered the mental state of absurdity.

Wow.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:35 pm

GooberNumber9 wrote:
Roboburger wrote:instead of saying "I didn't realize that that was our set! This is not fair." which he said to me.
Wow. I honestly thought that whole time that they knew it was their set and that was their idea of a good show. Wow. Wowie wow. I'll never think I've had it bad as a sound guy again. What the heck did you say back to him at that point? .
yeah, I'm kinda wondering how that whole conversation went down myself.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:49 am

Roboburger wrote:Thanks for the kind words and positive feedback- I consider all of you my peers, and your opinions are valuable.

I thought about it some more yesterday, and I realized that the video is funny to me for the same reason that this (short) video is funny:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzG_oHDLZdc

Really the only problem is in the mind of the supposed victim. Any rational person of modest means would think that her complaining is unwarranted, because she obviously has so much in life- to complain about the color of a free sportscar is just so unexpected that it makes me laugh. (However, I guess there's some people out there that could say that maybe she has a legitimate complaint- if her Dad knew what color of car she wanted, then he has let her down. )

When the guy from the band has gotten everything that any musician could reasonably expect about the situation, but then stands on stage pissing and moaning... I find a little dark humor there.

Also- He wanted more people to see their set, and the video has been hit a thousand times- He's getting exactly what he wanted! (and I find a little humor in that, too.)
I loved every egotistical bit this guy threw out.

I would have like to see the ranting before / after the actual set. Kinda like a concert behind the scenes video. That would have been the icing on the cake.

Cheers, and keep up the good work.

Roboburger
buyin' gear

Post by Roboburger » Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:23 pm

dwlb wrote:
GooberNumber9 wrote:Wow. I honestly thought that whole time that they knew it was their set and that was their idea of a good show. Wow. Wowie wow. I'll never think I've had it bad as a sound guy again. What the heck did you say back to him at that point? .
yeah, I'm kinda wondering how that whole conversation went down myself.
There wasn't really any conversation, just me smiling and shaking my head and keeping eye contact. Like I say in the video, they knew damn well that soundcheck was the time when the house lights were on, we loaded in the gear onto the stage, and I gave out their drink tix and meal vouchers. when the lights went out, and house music started, it was a clear indication that soundcheck was over and doors were open.

He was full of crap and he knew it- It was just immature, last minute attempt at face-saving in front of the half dozen friends that had showed up during their shit-party jam. You have to say it "In Character", like Rik from the Young Ones to get the full effect.

Due to the 'Young Ones' portion of my cranium getting a jog from this cat, I have pulled out my old VHS videos of the series, and have started watching them again. That show was really genius. I hadn't realized that Emma Thompson was one of the spoiled kids from Footlights in the Quiz Challenge episode.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:48 am

"Daddy sends hugs!"

tommy
steve albini likes it

Post by tommy » Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:49 am

I've done my fair share of weirdo FOH gigs but nothing remotely close to this. Watching them just standing there waiting for people to come into the room was just beyond sad. Then when he demands that they come in? That is pricelessly craptastic! 15 yard penalty at least. Just as bad as plugging your website or myspace page from the stage in my opinion. I hate when bands do that.

Jay Reynolds
carpal tunnel

Post by Jay Reynolds » Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:55 am

Roboburger wrote: He was full of crap and he knew it- It was just immature, last minute attempt at face-saving in front of the half dozen friends that had showed up during their shit-party jam. You have to say it "In Character", like Rik from the Young Ones to get the full effect.

Due to the 'Young Ones' portion of my cranium getting a jog from this cat, I have pulled out my old VHS videos of the series, and have started watching them again. That show was really genius. I hadn't realized that Emma Thompson was one of the spoiled kids from Footlights in the Quiz Challenge episode.
"Ok Vivian! You're right! I am a virgin!"
"Not for long, matey."
Prog out with your cog out.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:23 am

tommy wrote:Just as bad as plugging your website or myspace page from the stage in my opinion. I hate when bands do that.
Um...should they not encourage people to buy their CD or come to their next show either? What's wrong with plugging the website?
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/