I just.... need... A Volume knob!

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

fossiltooth
carpal tunnel

I just.... need... A Volume knob!

Post by fossiltooth » Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:12 pm

I brought home my old pair of self-powered Event TR-6s the other days, since they never get used in the studio anymore, but I figured they'd be nice for listening to music and watching movies on the rare occasion that I'm actually home.

I plan on hooking up my TV, computer/iPod, and a record player.

I was thinking of buying a receiver... until I realized I don't need one! I have a Coleman LS3 Line selector. I just need a passive attenuator with a big ol' knob, in a nice case. (Yes, and a phono preamp and a handful of trs->rca adapters or cables too).

Am I crazy? Should I be buying a receiver instead? I don't really need a poweramp, but I guess the interface, convenience and look of receiver might be Any advice? I really don't want to spend more than a couple hundred bucks, because I'm rarely home, and I prefer spending "disposable" income on studio gear when I have it.

rwc
resurrected

Post by rwc » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:01 pm

I ran into this issue when some samson c control cheap noisy piece of shit finally broke.

I got myself a 2U redco panel and started with just a dual(stereo and/or balanced) pan/pot from mouser, and some 1/4" panel mount inputs. then it got bigger so you could switch between pohtools and logic, with a switch. then I added an ipod connector and another switch..

I'm sure I'm going to have this shit filled with stuff I'll never need or use before the summertime. I'm already getting VU meters for it. :D

Be careful where you attach ground on them pan pots to though. Sometimes attaching it to the panel works, sometimes you get buzz, radio, etc :( I'm thinking of making XLR inputs for it since those connectors separate chassis and audio ground well.
Real friends stab you in the front.

Oscar Wilde

Failed audio engineer & pro studio tech turned Component level motherboard repair store in New York

centurymantra
buyin' a studio

Post by centurymantra » Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:00 am

I definitely wouldn't get a receiver since you don't need an amp...at most a pre-amp, although a passive preamp (which is what you're talking about) is kind of an ultimate audiophile way to go in a way. Actually, when I was more into home audio stuff, I always liked the sound with a passive preamp in line. I'm no guru of audio DIY, but might note that if you care enough about such things, you might look into the different attenuator pots. Amongst certain circles in the DIY audio community, the volume knob is considered to be the most important and potentially degrading link in an audio chain.

Bryan
Shoeshine Recording Studio
"Pop music is sterile, country music is sterile. That's one of the reasons I keep going back to baseball" - Doug Sahm

Nate Dort
tinnitus

Post by Nate Dort » Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:59 am

I found a link to an unbalanced passive attenuator schematic over at groupdiy. It uses rotary switches. You could use a two gang switch, which would give you one big knob.
http://homepage.mac.com/marten.thielges ... _rev_d.jpg

yoink
audio school graduate

Post by yoink » Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:54 am

SPL Volume 2 - because I'm lazy. It's active, but sounds fine. No colouration like some other devices with large knobs - but no extra features, just a knob and a mute button.

t_chance
audio school

Post by t_chance » Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:22 pm

I know it's a DYI gear, but I saw a B-ringer 802 mixer at banjo center last night for $49 after a $10 rebate. Lots of options. A plain-jane stereo pot from? a couple faders?

mixedupsteve
pushin' record

Post by mixedupsteve » Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:14 pm

Since you will need a phono pre, I would go and get a receiver or integrated amp at the thrift store or yard sale for <$20.00 . I've bought at least 10 of them in the last 5 years. Use 2 and stole parts from the rest.

mixedupsteve
pushin' record

Post by mixedupsteve » Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:50 pm

I forgot to mention if you get a receiver you use the tape or line out for the powered speaker connection.

Also here's a neat little volume knob:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/SMPro-Audio ... 1390730.gc

fossiltooth
carpal tunnel

Post by fossiltooth » Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:17 pm

mixedupsteve wrote:I forgot to mention if you get a receiver you use the tape or line out for the powered speaker connection.

Also here's a neat little volume knob:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/SMPro-Audio ... 1390730.gc
Perfect!

Thanks. I don't even have to build anything either!

Anyone have decent advice on any fairly inexpensive but decent sounding phono preamps?