Still Think Reaper is just a passing Fad?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Knights Who Say Neve
buyin' a studio

Post by Knights Who Say Neve » Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:46 am

Alex Netick wrote:I haven't used it, but the idea sounds pretty appealing. I've used other software legitimately, and have been insulted more than once with upgrade/dongles hassles. If I get into software again, it's going to be a complany with a different ethos, and Reaper is on my short list.
Word. Paying for upgrades and "upgrades" and being treated like a criminal with copy protection schemes is pretty silly when hardware can stay useful and keep some of its value for for much longer periods of time. With the Reaper model (and the FL Studio model - free upgrades for life) the game changes and software becomes more of an option (for me at least). Then the variable becomes, do I trust the company to (a) stay in business and (b) not pull some stunt to take value away from my purchase. So far the Reaper people have made the right moves, and the frequency of upgrades and bug fixes is nothing short of astounding.

Alex Netick
takin' a dinner break

Post by Alex Netick » Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:38 pm

Hey. Thanks for not giving the typical computer-geek reply to my post. I remember posting my irritation on some of the software forums, and getting a double whammy of a headache (one from the software company, another from the users). It's kind of a bummer, because I think some of these applications are pretty cool pieces of software, but I don't use them because of the insult factor, and I think they're way overpriced.

rwc
resurrected

Post by rwc » Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:59 pm

This program is growing on me.
Real friends stab you in the front.

Oscar Wilde

Failed audio engineer & pro studio tech turned Component level motherboard repair store in New York

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:55 pm

kronosonic wrote:Just calling bullshit when I see it.
for someone calling bullshit, you don't seem to have any problem throwing around random, bullshit statistics.
kronosonic wrote:I, and most people who stick with it, can work somewhere between 30-50% faster.
I'm intrigued by this app, though... Are there plans for a Mac version?

rwc
resurrected

Post by rwc » Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:01 pm

subatomic pieces wrote: I'm intrigued by this app, though... Are there plans for a Mac version?
An OSX version is coming soon. Don't quot eme but I think betas are already out, with some steady plans for OSX deployment.

I am excited. Logic 8 has really disappointed me. I hope this app gets good enough that I can use it all the time.

I can never get it to use more than 25% CPU on my quad core though. I couldn't get steinberg stuff to either so no biggie, but the "Stunning multiprocessor performance" disappointed me. Maybe I should be blaming the plugins instead of reaper.
Real friends stab you in the front.

Oscar Wilde

Failed audio engineer & pro studio tech turned Component level motherboard repair store in New York

kronosonic
takin' a dinner break

Post by kronosonic » Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:00 am

subatomic pieces wrote:
for someone calling bullshit, you don't seem to have any problem throwing around random, bullshit statistics.
kronosonic wrote:I, and most people who stick with it, can work somewhere between 30-50% faster.
Not random bullshit. That's how much faster it is. I used cubendo for years and switched. It's based on experience...You can also derive this info from the forum yourself from other users who have switched from other platforms....there is a consensus. Look for yourself. Or should I spoon feed it to you? Probably so: if you'd read the thread instead of posting randomly you'd have seen that a mac version is on the way (post 4 and others that followed) and that my assertion was based on prior experience with other software not more random bullshit.
Last edited by kronosonic on Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
http://myspace.com/infiniteegosavioronasis

A personal friend of the legendary Jean Pecan Hoe

kronosonic
takin' a dinner break

Post by kronosonic » Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:03 am

Was this posted already?

Low latency scaling between reap, cubendo, and sonar

http://www.dawbench.com/dawbenchdsp-x-scaling.htm

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:35 am

kronosonic wrote:
subatomic pieces wrote:
Not random bullshit. That's how much faster it is. I used cubendo for years and switched. It's based on experience...You can also derive this info from the forum yourself from other users who have switched from other platforms....there is a consensus. Look for yourself. Or should I spoon feed it to you? Probably so: if you'd read the thread instead of posting randomly you'd have seen that a mac version is on the way (post 4 and others that followed) and that my assertion was based on prior experience with other software not more random bullshit.
no spoon feeding needed, cock.
I read the first page of the thread when it was first started 2 weeks ago. I just recently came back to it and didn't re-read the posts that I had read previously. I had forgotten that an OSX version had been mentioned.

But, yeah... on second thought, why don't you back up your assertion that "most people can work somewhere between 30-50% faster" with some provable facts. Where are you pulling those percentages from? How are they measured? Exactly how many people who have stuck with it only work 18% faster? How many people actually work slower, but still use it for ethical reasons? You don't have this data. Sounds like total bullshit to me. Sounds like some figures pulled straight from your ass to me.
That's how much faster it is.
According to what testing? You can have a bunch of people on a messageboard guess that they're working 30-50% faster. But, that doesn't mean that "that's how much faster it is".

Your percentages are BULLSHIT. Unless you've got some test results to prove those figures, then you're full of shit.

If you'd said that, "lots of users, myself included, report that they can work faster in Reaper", then it wouldn't be bullshit.

But, you had to trot out some made up percentages to make your assertion sound more valid. That's why you're full of shit.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:54 am

It's really not that big of a deal... well, except for the insulting, asshole-ish "spoon-feeding" comment...

but, you truly do a disservice to the product that you love when you just make up figures like you did.

theBaldfather
takin' a dinner break

Post by theBaldfather » Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:54 am

wow.. flame war aside, I've been trying reaper out and I'm seriously considering switching from cubase 4. The routing options and the support with reaper is awesome! That, and I just like the idea. I have a feeling that this could actually speed up my workflow measurably as well...
@studioquotes "producer: turn the gain up just a tad" "guitarist: is that the same as volume?" "Producer: actually the last take was great!"

kronosonic
takin' a dinner break

Post by kronosonic » Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:10 am

subatomic pieces wrote:It's really not that big of a deal... well, except for the insulting, asshole-ish "spoon-feeding" comment...

but, you truly do a disservice to the product that you love when you just make up figures like you did.
I don't 'love' it -- it's just software. It gets a job done. It does a good job at a low price. Saving folks money for things like drums, guitars, etc.

If you go back and read my original post I said "somewhere between" -- those are not terms that we associate with precision and "statistics" (the term you chose). Expressing things as a percentage is not the same thing as 'statistics' -- it is just an "estimate" based on my own experience and the experience of those I associate with on the Reaper forum. I am capable of looking at my watch/clock and seeing how much time has passed in the course of routine work in cubendo cf. Reaper and can quantify that and reduce it to an estimate. Would you still have a problem if I said "I accomplished x, y, and z, in half the time..."?

I'm not out to subject software to testing but to use it for its intended purpose and I don't think I have to perform a scientific test to know I work a lot faster in one over the other. And I think it's perfectly valid to express that increase as a numeric estimate. Time is, after all, expressed numerically, no? Since nobody has performed such a 'test' I could have only been basing that figure on my own experience and those of others I have noticed. I don't think anybody else here was confused about that.

I don't think you're doing a very good job of reading and comprehending and you don't have to discredit yourself by childish name-calling. I know it's the internet, and you are from oklahoma, but grow up and act like an adult (if you are one or want to be treated like one). Sorry, that oklahoma bit was a joke -- lived there for years. Unfortunately.

:wink:
Last edited by kronosonic on Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

kronosonic
takin' a dinner break

Post by kronosonic » Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:14 am

theBaldfather wrote: I have a feeling that this could actually speed up my workflow measurably as well...
Careful, somebody might jump your ass :P

>Mojave_Gary<
alignin' 24-trk

Reaper

Post by >Mojave_Gary< » Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:38 am

I downloaded Reaper last week to use with an MBox MobilePre and my PC to do field recording and also to dump tracks to for mixing while I am on the road and cannot be in the studio to mix. So far I am impressed with the GUI and the connectivity as well as the plug-in usage. Once again, I have only been using Reaper for a week (about 20 hrs, total) but so far so good. And no, it does not make a difference to my opinion whether it costs $50.00 or $5000.00, if it works well, it works well. Nice job
Gary :^:
What the #*%@ is that BuZzInG sOuNd ??

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:39 am

so, guestimated percentages aside, what revolutionary features does Reaper offer that will so dramatically increase my productivity over the programs that I use now (Cubase, DP and PT)?

And, sorry... but, just living here for a while doesn't make your joke any more funny or clever or mature to someone who was born here and lived most of my life here. You're still being an asshole, whether or not you're calling me names. Don't presume to be taking the high road just because you think that your insults are more clever. They're really not.

kronosonic
takin' a dinner break

Post by kronosonic » Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:00 am

subatomic pieces wrote:so, guestimated percentages aside, what revolutionary features does Reaper offer that will so dramatically increase my productivity over the programs that I use now (Cubase, DP and PT)?

And, sorry... but, just living here for a while doesn't make your joke any more funny or clever or mature to someone who was born here and lived most of my life here. You're still being an asshole, whether or not you're calling me names. Don't presume to be taking the high road just because you think that your insults are more clever. They're really not.
Well, I'm comfortable with being an "asshole" -- I'll admit to being one occasionally.

As for your productivity, how can I know it will increase it? It may not. If you're happy with what you use why switch? Why even concern yourself with an alternative. This was the root of the "bullshit" comment to begin with.

Your productivity aside, it does indeed have revolutionary features. See a few posts up for its superior multi-core scaling. Does that not help? In some ways it is much better than Nuendo and Sonar.

How about the best routing of any daw? Nothing I know of compares to it. How about no more fiddly tools -- all replaced with customizable keystrokes. V2.2 has the latest version of Elastique Pro for time stretching (not many offer that quality of time-stretching); midi and digital audio on the same track; free-positioning of audio; per item fx; 3mb in size and can run off a flash drive; no dongle; $50; hands down the best support out there; and the list goes on....actually, I'd say the interaction between developers and users, alone, is the best feature. I've seen Justin implement user feature requests in hours.

As for your state of residence and my wit, well, where do the bad jokes end?...(refer to sentence one)

:wink: