do you know what you're doing?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Sat May 03, 2008 10:22 am

I figured out in high school I really don't know what I am doing in life in general, but if I act like I know what I am doing, I can fool about 95% of people. I generally go about my life that way.

I remember my first paying recording session. I was 18 years old and this young punk band wanted me to record them, I was like "yeah i can do that no problem!" They were all no older than 15 and one of the dudes Dad came to the session and I was thinking the whole time he was gonna just stop the session and say "ok you really don't know what you are doing do you?" I was actually kinda nervous but I played it cool, and in the end they were happy with it and so was I.

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Sat May 03, 2008 10:46 am

At least 60% of the way I track is un-orthodox and FWIW I wouldn't be happy with the sound I get if I did everything by the book.
"The mushroom states its own position very clearly. It says, "I require the nervous system of a mammal. Do you have one handy?" Terrence McKenna

ashcat_lt
tinnitus

Post by ashcat_lt » Sat May 03, 2008 2:22 pm

I often think I know what I'm doing. Most of the time I know what I think I'm doing. I usually know what I want, and have a pretty good idea of how to get it. Of course, sometimes I stumble across things I didn't know I wanted. The trick is recognizing and capturing that when you get it.

Anthony Caruso
pushin' record

Post by Anthony Caruso » Sat May 03, 2008 3:16 pm

Whoa, what are you on and why aren't you sharing!?
On? Doesn't everyone have a Paranoid Robot and Crusty Hippie inhabiting their brains and influencing their decisions?

And if you need anything, it's in a tupperware container in the tech shop, in the drawer below the one labeled "Plastic Bags". :wink:

>Mojave_Gary<
alignin' 24-trk

Post by >Mojave_Gary< » Mon May 12, 2008 1:13 pm

No..... :roll:
What the #*%@ is that BuZzInG sOuNd ??

>Mojave_Gary<
alignin' 24-trk

Post by >Mojave_Gary< » Mon May 12, 2008 1:27 pm

I just always use this plug-in....................
What the #*%@ is that BuZzInG sOuNd ??

honkyjonk
dead but not forgotten

Post by honkyjonk » Mon May 12, 2008 7:07 pm

Of course I know what I'm doing. After all, I did graduate from college with a degree in recording, where I learned how to use protools. I guess I just don't have anything to feel inadequate about like you guys.
Stilgar, we've got wormsign the likes of which God has never seen!

i am monster face
buyin' gear

Post by i am monster face » Mon May 12, 2008 11:04 pm

cgarges wrote:I spend half my time on sessions (especially the good ones with really good, experienced players) just wondering when everyone is going to stand up and bust me for being completely incompetent. It's like, "Ha ha, we know you don't know what you're doing!"

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
Yeah. I know how that feels. Or the other day I was talking to a British engineer who was using weird terminology. I was just stumbling over my words and talking like an idiot. I felt like such a fake.

criticalmonkey
audio school graduate

Post by criticalmonkey » Mon May 12, 2008 11:06 pm

as soon as i know what i'm doing, I'm done for

wedge
tinnitus

Post by wedge » Mon May 12, 2008 11:11 pm

junkshop wrote:The secret is to be open to the accidents and recognize the magic when it happens.
A Gazillion percent true, IMHO...

pixeltarian
buyin' gear

Post by pixeltarian » Tue May 13, 2008 2:31 am

honkyjonk wrote:Of course I know what I'm doing. After all, I did graduate from college with a degree in recording, where I learned how to use protools. I guess I just don't have anything to feel inadequate about like you guys.
*bows before you*
all hail recording arts degrees.

man, I can't wait until I get a piece of paper that gives me the ability to know everything about recording. only 2 years left. then it's a bachelor's degree in recording arts for me.
"Every person who wins in any undertaking must be willing to cut all sources of retreat."
- Napoleon Hill

http://www.jeffreyjamesmusic.com
spook folk

http://www.myspace.com/tonguesonpaper
electro atmospheric rock

Mark Alan Miller
dead but not forgotten

Post by Mark Alan Miller » Tue May 13, 2008 4:40 am

KennyLusk wrote:At least 60% of the way I track is un-orthodox and FWIW I wouldn't be happy with the sound I get if I did everything by the book.
There's a book? :P
he took a duck in the face at two and hundred fifty knots.

http://www.radio-valkyrie.com/ao/aoindex.htm - download the new record (free is an option!) or get it on CD.

roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Post by roscoenyc » Tue May 13, 2008 5:52 am

"If you aren't falling down you aren't trying anything new"

(from my ski instructor days)

fossiltooth
carpal tunnel

Post by fossiltooth » Tue May 13, 2008 7:01 am

SoulOfJonas wrote:a producer once told "you're just fooling yourself if you don't think this all just a bunch of happy accidents." i've thought about that almost sessions since.
Well, as much as I love happy accidents, there's some small degree of truth to this statement as well. That sentiment is more elegantly explained by Steve Albini in the forward to the new TapeOp book. You can begin reading it on Tone Vendor. Here's the gist: Over time, we figure things out and fall into useful habits and guidelines.

If we're really good, one of the "good habits" we develop is the ability to throw away all previously established guidelines and habits when the need arises.

But, I still say we're all just guessing. Everybody. All humans. I mean, what's a doctor? Just a human who (based on experience) has some really excellent guesses about what might be wrong with you and what might fix it.

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Tue May 13, 2008 9:17 am

RefD wrote:i never knew what i was doing.

if i did then i wouldn't have started doing this...whatever this is.

*tunes 12-string to open E major and applies a pyrex slide to it*
Why do I totally believe you?