Why do people call you to record their product?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Good engineering
40%
Good gear
7%
Good price
7%
Good vibe
47%

Total votes: 15

Jay Reynolds
carpal tunnel

Post by Jay Reynolds » Wed May 21, 2008 5:45 am

I haven't seen this one yet and I'm curious.
Also: "Vibe" to me is as much about demeanor as it is about anything else. Its what your particular personality brings to the equation.
Last edited by Jay Reynolds on Wed May 21, 2008 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Prog out with your cog out.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Wed May 21, 2008 7:14 am

people call me because I'm a good person and they trust me to take care with their project.

dynomike
carpal tunnel

Post by dynomike » Wed May 21, 2008 7:19 am

I'm sure with everyone it would have to be a compromise between those things.
Making Efforts and Forging Ahead Courageously! Keeping Honest and Making Innovations Perpetually!

fossiltooth
carpal tunnel

Post by fossiltooth » Wed May 21, 2008 7:21 am

dynomike wrote:I'm sure with everyone it would have to be a compromise between those things.
+1

End of thread if you ask me!
Last edited by fossiltooth on Wed May 21, 2008 7:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

Jay Reynolds
carpal tunnel

Post by Jay Reynolds » Wed May 21, 2008 7:23 am

Sure, and I considered creating more responces. But, I decided to keep it simple. So, even if you feel like its a combination, surely there is one leading factor that you think is bringing in clients. Or there is one consistant comment you get from your clients about why they come to you.

Jay Reynolds
carpal tunnel

Post by Jay Reynolds » Wed May 21, 2008 7:26 am

subatomic pieces wrote:people call me because I'm a good person and they trust me to take care with their project.
So you'd probably say "Good Vibe" then?

fossiltooth
carpal tunnel

Post by fossiltooth » Wed May 21, 2008 7:33 am

It's hard to say. They're all so crucial. I guess we could debate order of importance. My first instinct is to say:

1) Engineering
2) Vibe
3) Gear

I think that Engineering is what brings strangers in, and Vibe is what makes them come back for more and tell their friends about you. I realize that I left price off the list entirely. I feel that price is not a single factor, as much as it is a context for the other factors. You could also make a valid argument for switching the order between "Engineering" and "Vibe" on that list.

Of course, if you're marketing a studio to outside engineers things change:

1) Vibe
2) Gear

When I was beginning to take sessions to outside studios, I reversed this. I like to think I'm smarter now. Then again, you could say that gear is actually part of the "vibe" equation...

Price is a factor that I feel can not be listed in "order of importance". It's almost an afterthought for me... but at the same time, it rules every choice we make... at least in part. It can be a deciding factor as to whether or not a session can go down at a certain studio. Price is something set that's according to what the market will bear, but it is also based entirely on the relative strengths of the other 3 factors in the list.

I don't think this question can be answered cleanly. There's no "one key factor" for me, and there's no way to make a definitive "list". If you're not getting enough business, you might need to take a look at your price... or your gear... or your vibe.... or your engineering. Each case is different.

Here's the closest I can muster for a clean answer: Vibe. Why? Because you can easily make an argument as to how "Vibe" is really just a combination of all of the other elements on the list, and all the elements you left off the list.
Last edited by fossiltooth on Wed May 21, 2008 8:40 am, edited 5 times in total.

Jay Reynolds
carpal tunnel

Post by Jay Reynolds » Wed May 21, 2008 7:52 am

After reading a couple posts, I edited the top of the thread to make it cleare what I was going for as far as "vibe".
I see it more as your personal X-factor. To use a singer as an example, take Shaun Ryder (Happy Mondays/Black Grape). Can't really sing. Can't really rap. But, despite his lack of tecnique, there sure is some kinda vibe going on there.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Wed May 21, 2008 8:19 am

i think people call me when all the good engineers are already booked.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Wed May 21, 2008 8:35 am

i'd say vibe.

cos if someone has to choose between two equally qualified engineers but one is a pleasant person and the other one is a douchebag...well, the douchebag won't get the call.

gear and price are pretty well secondary considerations.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

lyman
re-cappin' neve

Post by lyman » Wed May 21, 2008 12:14 pm

RefD wrote:i'd say vibe.

cos if someone has to choose between two equally qualified engineers but one is a pleasant person and the other one is a douchebag...well, the douchebag won't get the call.

yes, but that's all based on the assumption that you know the engineer fairly well to begin with.

plus, if both engineers are friendly, respectful, and creative folks who have equipment you approve of, but one charges $75 an hour and the other charges $45 an hour you'd pick the one that you liked slightly better?

i don't think there's any right or wrong answer, just playing devil's advocate.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Wed May 21, 2008 12:37 pm

lyman wrote:

yes, but that's all based on the assumption that you know the engineer fairly well to begin with.

plus, if both engineers are friendly, respectful, and creative folks who have equipment you approve of, but one charges $75 an hour and the other charges $45 an hour you'd pick the one that you liked slightly better?

get thee behind me!
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

audiogeek1
steve albini likes it

Post by audiogeek1 » Wed May 21, 2008 11:23 pm

I find the gear one to be the last one on the list for me anyway. When I talk to clients they generally like the sound of another project I did and want to work with me. Price is a consideration because as we all know budget is a real thing and most independent musicians do not have endless funds. But they want the best record they can get for the money they have.

I do not think I have ever been booked to record something because of gear. I have been booked to mix things because of gear. The right tape machine, DAW etc.. But most musicians I know do not care about gear. They care about their music being captured and their vision realized. The musicians I know that care about the gear are generally recording themselves. So it works out.

Just my thoughts,

Mike

rwc
resurrected

Post by rwc » Thu May 22, 2008 4:49 am

Because I kick ass, got good experience in a top notch professional facility as a teenager, and come well recommended by every past client.

Sometimes I wonder. has to be some reason I don't know any other 19 year old college students doing this for a living, but I wouldn't pin down why people choose to work with me to one of those four categories.
Real friends stab you in the front.

Oscar Wilde

Failed audio engineer & pro studio tech turned Component level motherboard repair store in New York

red cross
buyin' gear

Post by red cross » Thu May 22, 2008 11:39 pm

RefD wrote:
lyman wrote:

get thee behind me!
I'm in love with your avatar.