who has seen DIG! the dandy warhols documentary?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

versuviusx
re-cappin' neve

who has seen DIG! the dandy warhols documentary?

Post by versuviusx » Fri May 23, 2008 11:09 am

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0388888/

saw it last night. what a nightmare.
it had some great insights on the band but there were a lot of scenes that made me so thankful i'm not trying to be a rockstar! what a blessing!
it's also crazy. one band makes it and puts out some awesome songs, the other sinks deeper and deeper into hell on earth.
let me know what you guys think.

bipedal
alignin' 24-trk

Post by bipedal » Fri May 23, 2008 11:33 am

Yeah, I've seen it -- enjoyed the film quite a bit, even though I'm not much of a fan of either band's music, I think just to watch the egos involved. Some definite trainwreck, "oh god, he didn't really just say/do that" moments.

Joel Gion -- he's my vote for hero of the movie.
Oh yeah, and I loved Anton's "You just broke my sitar, motherf*#@er!" tirade.

- Jay
I like recording stuff.
Bassist, guitarist, pedal builder, recovering music snob.

centurymantra
buyin' a studio

Post by centurymantra » Fri May 23, 2008 11:50 am

bipedal wrote: Oh yeah, and I loved Anton's "You just broke my sitar, motherf*#@er!" tirade.

- Jay
One of the greatest moments in rock 'n' roll doc history. :lol:

Bryan
Shoeshine Recording Studio
"Pop music is sterile, country music is sterile. That's one of the reasons I keep going back to baseball" - Doug Sahm

newfuturevintage
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by newfuturevintage » Fri May 23, 2008 12:07 pm

bipedal wrote:Some definite trainwreck, "oh god, he didn't really just say/do that" moments.
That's a pretty good summation of Anton as a performer in general.

seeabove
pushin' record

Post by seeabove » Fri May 23, 2008 12:25 pm

bipedal wrote:Joel Gion -- he's my vote for hero of the movie.
The Babe Ruth of bonus rocking. I watch this movie any chance I get.
I get satisfaction of three kinds. One is creating something, one is being paid for it and one is the feeling that I haven?t just been sitting on my ass all afternoon.

flapmaggot
takin' a dinner break

Post by flapmaggot » Fri May 23, 2008 12:32 pm

That movie exemplifies why the LA rock scene has dissapated into nothingness. BJM is the biggest Los Angeles Rock n' Roll swindle ever.
I've played with several headlining LA/silverlake scenster bands and realized that a lot of people are more about a scene and name dropping than putting on a great show or putting out great music. It's funny, even crappy LA bands, have indie deals, managers and attitude. One band I was in, a member was very close to an LA weekly writer who would give the band a lot of press - but the band would have one rehearsal, play the Roxy, sound like shit, but get a good review, just like the BJM.

Sorry about the rant - but the movie hit home. A great LA movie that also exemplifies the LAness of it all is MAYOR ON SUNSET STRIP.

Peace, Chuck

Al_Huero
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Al_Huero » Fri May 23, 2008 3:47 pm

Yep, great movie.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Sat May 24, 2008 10:49 am

bipedal wrote:Joel Gion -- he's my vote for hero of the movie.
he's about the only one you don't want to punch in the teeth. dave derezinski, the BJM manager seems like a good guy too.

the rest of those people are vile. i especially like when zia from the dandies says something like "we're the most well adjusted band in america!" regardless of who i'm watching the movie with, we turn to each other at that point and say "no, you're not."

does anyone else understand the "genius" of anton? his songs are pleasant enough to listen to and all, but to me it just sounds like recycled 60s stuff and familiar chord progressions...i don't get it. i feel like anyone who thinks he's a genius must've just started listening to music yesterday.

versuviusx
re-cappin' neve

Post by versuviusx » Sat May 24, 2008 11:53 am

does anyone know what has happened to BJM?
are they making money becoming successful etc?

logancircle
tinnitus

Post by logancircle » Sat May 24, 2008 12:13 pm

I watch Dig a couple times a year. The band was and is awesome. A few years ago I downloaded ALL their albums for free of their site and have loved the lo-fi and hi-fi BJM. I would not call this a Dandy Warhols doc. The Dandys were the foil to BJM. Saw the band a few years ago and about twenty minutes of the set was the band jamming and Anton sitting on the stage doing nothing. That's not why they're good, but they are.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Studio and Field Recorder in NYC.
I like dirt.
IG: stormydanielson

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

8th_note
buyin' gear

Post by 8th_note » Sat May 24, 2008 9:52 pm

My wife and i saw Dig in Portland on the film's opening night. There were several Dandy Warhol members at the showing (we're so hip we can hardly stand ourselves).

Great movie. I agree with the comments about BJM. I know some people who are really into Anton's stuff but I just dont' get it. I do love the Dandies, however. It was interesting to get an insight into a solid hard working band that just can't quite break over the top.

micyourbrain
takin' a dinner break

Post by micyourbrain » Sun May 25, 2008 4:37 am

the way I saw it there was a contrast between the brilliant/destructive/broke musicians and the sellout/straight-laced/rich rock bands...

if BJM and Anton had been less crazy and gotten a solid record deal, would they have been so good in the first place?

lysander
pushin' record

Post by lysander » Sun May 25, 2008 11:40 am

After seeing that film I thought the BJM was a very apt name for that band. I thought the film tentatively tries to suggest that Anton's radical dysfunction marks him as the kind of uncompromising genius who deserves cult status. But the music doesn't support that claim, which is why the film spends so little time with the actual music. It's one thing to have a vision; it's another to become a slave to it.

Trick Fall
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Trick Fall » Sun May 25, 2008 1:33 pm

I think that is definitely one of the better rock docs. I enjoy the Dandy Warhol's music and probably own all of their albums, but I didn't know any of the BJM's music beforehand. I have to say I was pretty intrigued and bought Their Satanic Majesties Second Request and while a lot of it is overly indulgent their are some good tunes. I also found some of the BJM recording scenes oddly inspiring.

centurymantra
buyin' a studio

Post by centurymantra » Sun May 25, 2008 2:11 pm

versuviusx wrote:does anyone know what has happened to BJM?
are they making money becoming successful etc?
They kind of disappeared...for the most part.

I happen to be one of those people who was a pretty major fan of BJM's music. The group, during their heyday, really tapped into a certain vibe. And I think they are one of those bands where that vibe just clicks with you or it doesn't. There are certain purveyors of art, music, film where the ability to speak/connect with you make them a love it or hate it type of affair. BJM is one of those purveyors. They put out a few great records (Take it From the Man, Thank God for Mental Illness, Give it Back), with an ill-fated stab at a slick "pop" record (Strung out in Heaven) and then just started to slide downhill. They did make a major comeback with the 'And This is our Music' record which kinda blew me away in how good it was, but the last few records were really dull (IMHO) and just have NONE of that vibe so critical to their best stuff. Just seems like he has cashed out his muse and is running on near empty. I also think that most, if not all, of the musicians that drove the music from the best records are also long gone from the BJM camp.

I did get to see them live once and it was really an outstanding live performance. A little bit of tension at a couple spots but they all seemed in good spirits and Anton even complimented the venue and the sound guy at one point. The show just built in intensity and was seriously great...one of the better rock shows I saw that year. Guess we were just lucky.

Bryan
Shoeshine Recording Studio
"Pop music is sterile, country music is sterile. That's one of the reasons I keep going back to baseball" - Doug Sahm