What Formats for a New Music Release?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

What is your Preferred Format for New Releases?

CD (actual replicated disc)
32%
CD-R (duplicated commercially)
3%
CD-R (home made)
9%
Vinyl
24%
MP3
9%
Other Digital Format (AAC, FLAC, OGG, etc.)
No votes
Cassette Tape
3%
All of the Above (Cassettes optional)
21%

Total votes: 34

tubetapexfmr
steve albini likes it

What Formats for a New Music Release?

Post by tubetapexfmr » Tue May 27, 2008 1:59 pm

What format or formats are you planning on using for current releases of new music? Vote for your preferred format for sales but feel free to discuss multiple format releases.

thieves
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by thieves » Tue May 27, 2008 2:51 pm

Well, it's all about what you're releasing. I'm currently in a band that has already done a cassette release, is about to release a professionally replicated (silver) disc, and will probably release a 7" single and a cd-r or two within the next year. I think it's basically all up to two factors: budget and loyalty to the media. Here's some questions to think about when considering each format:

Can I sell enough CD's to recoup from a $3-5,000 investment? If yes, then get 1000+ CD's replicated.

Can I sell enough vinyl LP's to recoup from a $1-2,000 investment? If yes, get 300+ LP's pressed.

etc, etc.

As for MP3, I personally think it should accompany any sort of release, but I'm not really big on releasing things exclusively as MP3's if they are to be taken seriously. There should always be a physical version somewhere. A great example of this is the aforementioned cassette I recently released. There are under 100 copies of the tape, but I played it on a cassette deck back into my soundcard and made cd-r's/mp3s of it in its intended form for digital consumption. That way, it can go on an ipod or be played by someone without access to a cassette player (apparently a lot of people nowadays), but they are still reminded of the intended format.

tubetapexfmr
steve albini likes it

Post by tubetapexfmr » Tue May 27, 2008 5:24 pm

As for MP3, I personally think it should accompany any sort of release, but I'm not really big on releasing things exclusively as MP3's if they are to be taken seriously. There should always be a physical version somewhere.
I think this is a good point. MP3 is THE new format like it or not, with CD being a fading second place but still viable. To that end I have been using kunaki for my 'physical' product http://kunaki.com. You can order as few as 1 at a time for a great looking product and a great price. They will even take credit card payments and drop ship for you so you never have to actually have any inventory or even touch the CDs if you don't want.
A great example of this is the aforementioned cassette I recently released. There are under 100 copies of the tape, but I played it on a cassette deck back into my soundcard and made cd-r's/mp3s of it in its intended form for digital consumption. That way, it can go on an ipod or be played by someone without access to a cassette player (apparently a lot of people nowadays), but they are still reminded of the intended format.
That is a neat idea making the cassette the master. There is a place in town that will do any number of tape dupes for $1.00 a piece but you have to come up with your own covers. There is a cassette-only label in town that uses them quite a bit. The best thing about tapes is that there are a lot of machines still out there, the worst thing about tapes is that most of those tape decks don't work right or sound like crap from lack of cleaning over the past 10-30 years.

seeabove
pushin' record

Post by seeabove » Tue May 27, 2008 9:39 pm

I think it's less about format and more about distribution. You downloaded 128k mp3's because you could steal an album over limewire in 45 minutes. Now, bands release the album digitally for free. NIN gave away the 24bit/96K files.

- You make CD's because you distribute them at shows.
- You release them digitally because you distribute them on itunes, your myspace, etc.
- Who else wants your album and how?

I think in 5 years we'll be streaming mp3's. In ten years we'll be streaming 16bit/44.1K. I think once bandwidth gets really cheap, we'll stem the tide of compressed audio.
I get satisfaction of three kinds. One is creating something, one is being paid for it and one is the feeling that I haven?t just been sitting on my ass all afternoon.

rwc
resurrected

Post by rwc » Wed May 28, 2008 3:09 am

MP3 is very 1999. highly obsolete.

I wouldn't take something sriously without at, the very least, a 16/44 version available somewhere. FLAC, monkey's audio, etc.

I could give a fuck less about a physical version since it's just a delicate plastic disc with data on it, but I do care about the data in its full integrity.
Real friends stab you in the front.

Oscar Wilde

Failed audio engineer & pro studio tech turned Component level motherboard repair store in New York

LeedyGuy
tinnitus

Post by LeedyGuy » Wed May 28, 2008 4:21 am

Current band - www.myspace.com/nickafflittomusic
My music - www.myspace.com/kenadessamusic
Recording space - www.myspace.com/twinreverbsound
HOT soul music - www.enzoandthebakers.com
Freelance drum hookups available constantly

tubetapexfmr
steve albini likes it

Post by tubetapexfmr » Wed May 28, 2008 7:57 am

I actually started THIS thread because I didn't like the choices offered in the poll on the other thread. I was going to complain about it, but instead I just started my own thread with the options I wanted in the poll.

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Wed May 28, 2008 8:09 am

Records are the only merch that really sell for me on the road. Even if CD's are dead they are still the most widely used format for the general public. Everyone has a CD player even if they rarely use it.
I also want to do vinyl this time. Mostly because I've never had a record out on vinyl.

thieves
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by thieves » Wed May 28, 2008 9:04 am

I'm a big fan of bands who release an album on vinyl and include a cd or cd-r with it (shellac being the first one to come to mind). that way you have a digital/portable one that you can rip to mp3 with your encoder/bitrate of choice, and also have a great slab of vinyl to play at home/display as a centerpiece at dinner parties/confound your relatives who will inevitably say "THEY STILL MAKE VINYL?!?!?"/etc.

mertmo
buyin' gear

Post by mertmo » Wed May 28, 2008 9:07 am

Our band is talking about not doing any more CD's, only Vinyl and high quality downloads to go with. Maybe a small run of CDr's for the person who has to have one and/or promotional purposes...

LeedyGuy
tinnitus

Post by LeedyGuy » Wed May 28, 2008 9:38 am

thieves wrote:I'm a big fan of bands who release an album on vinyl and include a cd or cd-r with it (shellac being the first one to come to mind). that way you have a digital/portable one that you can rip to mp3 with your encoder/bitrate of choice, and also have a great slab of vinyl to play at home/display as a centerpiece at dinner parties/confound your relatives who will inevitably say "THEY STILL MAKE VINYL?!?!?"/etc.
This is an interesting option. Wilco released the vinyl Sky Blue Sky and it came with a CD and Hymns did a vinyl release for their first album that came with a way to download digitally.

I think I solved my problem. Buy the vinyl, get the CD in a little cardboard sleeve or something. Want it only digitally? Get it on iTunes.

Anyone see drawbacks to that?
Current band - www.myspace.com/nickafflittomusic
My music - www.myspace.com/kenadessamusic
Recording space - www.myspace.com/twinreverbsound
HOT soul music - www.enzoandthebakers.com
Freelance drum hookups available constantly

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Wed May 28, 2008 12:01 pm

thieves wrote:I'm a big fan of bands who release an album on vinyl and include a cd or cd-r with it (shellac being the first one to come to mind). that way you have a digital/portable one that you can rip to mp3 with your encoder/bitrate of choice, and also have a great slab of vinyl to play at home/display as a centerpiece at dinner parties/confound your relatives who will inevitably say "THEY STILL MAKE VINYL?!?!?"/etc.
Yep, i'm totally down with the vinyl release with either a CDR or a download card inside.

We've never had a CD only release, cept for a couple of limited edition tour CD-R EP's. Both full lengths have been on both vinyl and CD. Our last release was double 12" gatefold and digipack. I like the digipack options cause it gives you some more room for artwork.

but really, the future i think is going to be vinyl with a data disk or either a download card, or download availability via a backend provider.

long live vinyl.

Boogdish
takin' a dinner break

Post by Boogdish » Wed May 28, 2008 12:35 pm

I released a 7" a couple years ago and I'm still selling copies of it, untill I do, I'm releasing all my newer stuff on cd-rs and providing it as free downloads. When I have no more copies of that vinyl release, I'll release something new on vinyl.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Wed May 28, 2008 12:56 pm

Boogdish wrote:I released a 7" a couple years ago and I'm still selling copies of it, untill I do, I'm releasing all my newer stuff on cd-rs and providing it as free downloads. When I have no more copies of that vinyl release, I'll release something new on vinyl.
how many did you press??? what genre of music do you play? those two things have a lot to do with unloading vinyl it seems.

we usually do 7" runs in 300-500 and usually are sold out within 6 months to a year.

also, we've done a quite a few split 7". that helps get rid of them quickly as well.

Boogdish
takin' a dinner break

Post by Boogdish » Wed May 28, 2008 1:27 pm

I did a run of 500. I'm a one man synth punk band, sort of like Atom And His Package. I'm not actually in any rush to unload them. I'm not a proffesional musician or anything, and I've made the money back from the pressing already. I'm ok with not being a very popular band, I do this for fun.