Long time PT user goes Logic!

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

E-Rock
pushin' record

Long time PT user goes Logic!

Post by E-Rock » Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:52 pm

OK, so on Friday I got a new MacBook Pro, and Logic studio.
Spent the weekend creating a couple o' tunes.
Now I've been a ProTools guy since Session8 days.
I spend every day on an HD rig at work, for 12 years now.

All I can say is "I Love Logic!!!"
PT may be better for some things, but for the 'home composer/musician' Logic is the fuckin' shit!

I am hooked. I see the light. Logic is the coolest gear I've bought in years. :)
Once I started to get the hang of the software, I was able to 'create' things so quickly! It really responds to the creative process, at least for me. Plus, it just sounds great! The plugs/instruments are really good! Obviously you could spend more money and get some killer plugs, but the Logic plugs and VIs are really pretty awesome. I LOVE the Delay Designer and the reverb (Space Designer?).

Anyway... just curious if anyone else has jumped over to Logic, and if people are having as much fun as I am? :)

cfMC
pushin' record

Post by cfMC » Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:41 pm

since Digi can't get Pro Tools to work correctly enough with Leopard to officially approve it (yes I know they just lately "pre-emptively approved it" LOL), I will probably switch to Logic

junomat
re-cappin' neve

Post by junomat » Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:23 pm

I just dove in to the world of digital audio. (the DAW is my tape machine) - but i went with Logic. Because of Apple and how big Final Cut Pro has become. It's only a matter of time with Logic.

I can't stand proprietary BS. And DigiDesign is no stranger to it. So I went with Logic and I'll never go back.

Not thrilled with all the plugins Logic comes with, but one doesn't buy Logic for it's plugins... I use outboard gear anyways... The Designer is pretty neat. One of these days I might actually use it on a mix.

Gentleman Jim
buyin' a studio

Post by Gentleman Jim » Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:05 pm

Actually, I did buy Logic for the plug ins. I bought Logic Pro 7 for $1000 because if I went PT and had to get soft synths and plugs to complement it I would have been closer to $2000. That and the proprietary hardware nonsense. But I'm an ITB hobby rig guy.

At $500 I think Logic Studio is an absolute no brainer for everyone but the studios that need to have the ProTools name to attract clients. And Windows loyalists, to be fair.

junomat
re-cappin' neve

Post by junomat » Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:02 pm

It's funny, a few of my clients think "ProTools" is simply the means of recording audio in a computer. Like Kleenex is to tissues.

I didn't know that about ProTools and the plugins - synths. All the synths that came with Logic are mad fun.

E-Rock
pushin' record

Post by E-Rock » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:43 pm

mobtownstudios wrote:It's funny, a few of my clients think "ProTools" is simply the means of recording audio in a computer. Like Kleenex is to tissues.

I didn't know that about ProTools and the plugins - synths. All the synths that came with Logic are mad fun.
Yeah, I think 'fun' is the key word here. So far, I just love creating MUSIC with Logic!
Considering I've been a Logic user for about 3 days now, I feel like I can get it to do whatever I need. I'm still slow on it, but I'm having a blast!

i am monster face
buyin' gear

Post by i am monster face » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:50 pm

mobtownstudios wrote:...Apple...
I can't stand proprietary BS.
Hmmmm...

rwc
resurrected

Post by rwc » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:52 pm

It's so nice to be able to record and mix a variety of different records without using any processing out of the program.

Going back to something like nuendo, or pro tools.. **shudder**

space designer, the logic 8 compressor, the tape delay plugin, the adlimit, the tuner.. logic is just so fucking useful.

I tell people all the time it's worth getting for space designer alone, if you're looking to buy a reverb plugin. process the shit in logic, print it, and put it into your daw of choice. beats dverb or that waves rverb shizzle, and the crap nuendo 3 came with by a longshot!
Real friends stab you in the front.

Oscar Wilde

Failed audio engineer & pro studio tech turned Component level motherboard repair store in New York

norton
buyin' a studio

Post by norton » Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:45 am

I've been having nothing but problems getting logic 8 to work with any kind of reliability.

It's a sweet program... and the effects and synth's are amazing. really amazing.

But i'm sooo tired of software bug hunting. For me the switch has been alternately inspiring and depressing. Fun to learn... fun to use... bummer to get caught up in the glitches.

And i'm not the only one... all the time i've had to spend trolling around on the various logic forums will back me up on that. Clean installs, third party software wipes you name it.. I've done it - and only after 3 months of beating my head against the software wall has it started to settle down.

But for all the beta testing i've been doing for apple... they should've paid me $500. not the other way around.

rwc
resurrected

Post by rwc » Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:35 am

norton wrote:But for all the beta testing i've been doing for apple... they should've paid me $500. not the other way around.
I hear ya.

Oscar Wilde

Failed audio engineer & pro studio tech turned Component level motherboard repair store in New York

Jay Reynolds
carpal tunnel

Post by Jay Reynolds » Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:54 am

+1 on the Space/Delay Designer.
For me is the sane signal routing/bussing (Steinberg can't figure it out), and being able to record in a format other than SDII (MOTU and Digi are still using it AFAIK). And no dongle, so I can do edits on my iBook in the living room while I watch baseball.
Prog out with your cog out.

rwc
resurrected

Post by rwc » Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:07 am

no dongle is great.
cfMC wrote:since Digi can't get Pro Tools to work correctly enough with Leopard to officially approve it (yes I know they just lately "pre-emptively approved it" LOL), I will probably switch to Logic

some would argue logic doesn't work with leopard. :lol:
Last edited by rwc on Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Oscar Wilde

junomat
re-cappin' neve

Post by junomat » Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:08 am

superaction80 wrote: And no dongle, so I can do edits on my iBook in the living room while I watch baseball.
is there a reason for the dongle? copyright protection?

it's something i never understood in software.

Fieryjack
steve albini likes it

Post by Fieryjack » Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:25 am

I'll take this opportunity to say that I never understood why Pro Tools / Digidesign deserved to have such a 'death grip' on the industry. I'm sorry, but it's just not that good and the whole argument about latency is pretty much gone due to faster processors and better component design.

Why have so many people just accepted Digidesigns' expensive software/hardware upgrades because they are 'industry standard?' My bet--it won't be for long. I hope many, many others will wake up to this realization and stop feeding the 800 lb. gorilla.

E-Rock
pushin' record

Post by E-Rock » Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:35 am

What version of Logic and what OS are you guys using?
I've heard the horror stories about bugs, and it kinda kept me from making the jump for awhile.
I'm running 8.0.2 Logic on a 10.5.3 OS. So far it seems really stable (knocks on wood).
I've been trying to max it out with VIs and lot's o' plugs, and it just keeps rockin'.

It kinda makes sense that it would be a little buggy, just given how deep it is.
I'm amazed at how much 'thinking' it does for you. They seem to have added so many funtions that maybe they didn't iron out all the kinks.
I'm hoping that they have addressed most of the issues with 10.0.2, and with every update it will just get better.
I remember when PT was a huge pain in the ass, and it just got better and better.
If Logic is already this good, imagine what it will be like in a couple years.
I really think it is the future. Power to the people!!!
:)