How to make a good cup of coffee

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Sat Apr 05, 2008 6:55 pm

lesson: don't go to McDonalds for coffee.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:57 am

RefD wrote:don't, under any circumstances whatsoever, including but not limited to threat of death, go to McDonalds.
fixed it for you.

infopimpster
takin' a dinner break

Post by infopimpster » Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:57 am

Lots of my tips are above (but I have one additional detail):

-french press
-burr grinder - most coarse setting
-fresh beans ( Olympia Coffee Roasting Company, Vivace Espresso, Peets, ...)
-after water boils, let it cool for a minute
-warm up french press with a splash or two of the hot water

and my 'secret' additional tip:

-before pushing in the plunger, also splash this with the hot water

Putting a cold piece of metal into the 'mix' just seems so... WRONG.

Oh yeah... and one more secret:

-Carnation Hazelnut Creamer, Liquid

There is no substitute. This stuff is like crack rock. I've converted friends. Try it and you'll never go back.

Rolsen
steve albini likes it

Post by Rolsen » Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:30 pm

To add to the above-post:

follow his directions, but take the water off at EXACTLY 190 degrees - not boiling. Add water to french press, stir, and 'press' it EXACTLY 4 minutes later. My wife is the global quality assurance manager at starbucks - this is how a french press is done!

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:19 pm

Tatertot wrote:Any other Whole Foods beans drinkers out there?
I'm here.

Back in 1999 when I started working at Music123 a co-worker and I would see how strong a cup/pot/mouthful of coffee we could make with the (shitty) tools at hand. McGuyver brewing moment. I've never laughed so hard making coffee in my life. And that's how "Turbo" was born. Turbo was the kind of coffee that would make a grandmother spit in public. It was so dark that it had an event horizon. It was the strongest coffee that I have ever had. You couldn't drink it without chasing it with water. We'd simply cram as much beanage into the filter as possible for... one cup. If you called Music123's sales line back then I was the guy who never shut the fuck up.

I still take my coffee strong and drink 2-5 cups /day.

Jeff

Zoltar
gettin' sounds

Post by Zoltar » Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:00 pm

Tatertot wrote:Any other Whole Foods beans drinkers out there?
Yes. Well, I used to be.

My 2cents

Cream, if you are going to use it, get the best. 10% should be alright, no need for the 18% like timmy's

Grinder, Burr Mill. The difference between the $15 spinning blade and the burr mill is bigger than the spinner vs preground.

Fresh as roast as possible. somewhere in town does it. Try the farmer's market. If you have a choice, Cuban and Ethiopian are the best right now. Sumatra is like dirt.

a little strong i good. they can add water if it is too strong.

reverse osmosis water is good. Distilled comes out a little flat. Brita is also good.

megajoe
gettin' sounds

Post by megajoe » Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:17 am

The first time I ever made coffee was while I was an intern at a studio. There was a keyboard player doing overdubs and he wanted "a cup of coffee." I went upstairs, pulled out the bag, read the instructions and scooped out enough to make exactly one cup. I didn't want to waste any.

I wasn't expecting him to ask for a 2nd cup. The studio owner was like "you only brewed one cup of coffee?" in astonishment.

So learned that when someone asks for a cup of coffee, they might actually want more than one.

newfuturevintage
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by newfuturevintage » Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:57 pm

We use either a stovetop espresso maker for small quantities, or

this french press:
http://www.amazon.com/Bodum-Columbia-Th ... _k_title_1

for larger amounts.

The nice things about that press in particular are it's insulated, and it's not glass. I've had too many glass beakers break to trust them any longer. Worst one was defective: pushing the plunger down caused a hole in the side to drop out, shooting hot grounds and near boiling water into the groin of the person doing the pushing. A bad way to start the day.

Grounds disposal: compost 'em; also, orchids love them, if you're green thumbed.

beans: +1 for peets, and also cafe trieste if you're in SF or Berkeley. If not, my favorite current TJ's selection is "Cafe Pajaro".

Michael.E
gettin' sounds

Post by Michael.E » Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:18 pm

http://www.keurig.com/
simply, the greatest thing ever.

drfringe
audio school graduate

Post by drfringe » Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:48 pm

ok, so we have the "gear" down here, as well as the "levels" ha ha!

I'd recommend Seattle's best brand for the "tone and ambience".
French roast for a french press. Torrefazione or Lavazza or anything midgrade Italian brand wise. In a pinch, get the Espesso Machiatto (Triple) on the way to your appointment/Gig.

Enjoy!

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:56 pm

Rolsen wrote:To add to the above-post:

follow his directions, but take the water off at EXACTLY 190 degrees - not boiling. Add water to french press, stir, and 'press' it EXACTLY 4 minutes later. My wife is the global quality assurance manager at starbucks - this is how a french press is done!
plz ask her to go to the store on Sundance Square in downtown Fort Worth and teach them how to not burn shit.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

percussion boy
carpal tunnel

Post by percussion boy » Sun Jun 08, 2008 12:08 am

Java - A cautionary tale:

I went from no coffee (ever) to lots of coffee (like, a pot a day) for the last 3 years (grad school plus internship year) . . . and by the end of that time I had a nice case of tinnitus in my right ear; didn't notice 'til I got out of the city, then realized the quiet wasn't quiet any more. Rinnnngggg . . .

Cut the coffee out recently -- and the tinnitus left. Have gone back to moderate use, and it's still mostly clear sailing in highfrequencyland.

Maybe it's best for recordists not to hit the bean too hard?

ymmv.
"The world don't need no more songs." - Bob Dylan

"Why does the Creator send me such knuckleheads?" - Sun Ra

Michael.E
gettin' sounds

Post by Michael.E » Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:08 pm

percussion boy wrote:Java - A cautionary tale:
Maybe it's best for recordists not to hit the bean too hard?

ymmv.
no offense, but no.

Trick Fall
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Trick Fall » Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:18 pm

Coffee definitely aggravates my tinnitus.......I recently bought my first coffee maker. I got a Cuisinart grind and brew and I have to say I really dig it. I lived in Manhattan for a long time and the deli two doors down had excellent coffee for fifty cents so I was never compelled to brew my own before.

infopimpster
takin' a dinner break

Post by infopimpster » Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:04 am

Rolsen wrote:To add to the above-post:

I'm pleased to report that my electric kettle (Cuisinart) kicks off at 190 degrees... just tested with a digital thermometer.