is there a MIDI plugin that does this....?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

stevedood
takin' a dinner break

is there a MIDI plugin that does this....?

Post by stevedood » Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:34 am

I was wondering if there was some sort of plugin or standalone software application which can take a .wav (or DAW track) and generate MIDI data based upon some interpretation of the source material.

Basically, I'm doing some reverse-engineering of some old bass lines i wrote using a chromatic tuner and then recomposing the performance info as MIDI-only. It's a pencil & paper kinda method and i was wondering if there's something that does this kinda thing?

thanks,

steve

kingtoad
pushin' record

Post by kingtoad » Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:41 am

You can do this in Logic so long as the part is monophonic.

stevedood
takin' a dinner break

Post by stevedood » Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:59 am

Any idea how to do it in Cubase, if it is at all possible?

thanks,

steve

kingtoad
pushin' record

Post by kingtoad » Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:10 pm

I just had a quick look on a forum and it seems like you can't, but I don't have much experience with Cubase I'm afraid. If you are on PC there is bound to be a free app someone has made that can do this, mac might be harder. I think Melodyne can do it if you have access to that.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:52 pm

Though I am not a huge fan of WAVES as a company, I do like some of their plugins.
The waves TUNE (full version, not tune LITE) can do this, and actually does this quite well. I use it as a pitch to midi plug. You cant do it in real time, but it tracks really well and spits out a midi file quickly.
I also use a pitch to voltage box by Asys, that works pretty well on certain types of material. Again, has to be monophonic in both cases.

Jay Reynolds
carpal tunnel

Post by Jay Reynolds » Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:47 am

stevedood wrote:Any idea how to do it in Cubase, if it is at all possible?

thanks,

steve
I got off the boat when they dropped SX3. But, up to that point, it wasn't possible in Cubase.
If its just bass lines, why not just play them in again with a MIDI controller?
Prog out with your cog out.

stevedood
takin' a dinner break

Post by stevedood » Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:39 am

superaction80 wrote: I got off the boat when they dropped SX3. But, up to that point, it wasn't possible in Cubase.
This is how I'm doing it currently and it's working OK although it's mildly tedious and it would be cool to automate some of it since I have quite a few files to chart.

Joel - the Waves Tune plugin looks great, almost exactly what I need except for the $600 price tag. I may phone them anyways and see if they can cook me a dealio.

It would be a challenge but I may also see if I can do this in MAX/MSP as I recall there were some specialized functions that did this sort of thing.
thanks,

Steve

jmiller
steve albini likes it

Post by jmiller » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:19 am

I have not tried it, but I understand that Melodyne cre8 can do this. I am eager to try it myself especially when the new polyphonic version comes out.

ashcat_lt
tinnitus

Post by ashcat_lt » Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:09 pm

I haven't yet gotten it to work, but SuperEel is supposed to do it.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:16 pm

ashcat_lt wrote:I haven't yet gotten it to work, but SuperEel is supposed to do it.
That looks cool! Too bad there are so many cool plugs for FU%#^&# windows ONLY!!!

Im not bitter. ;)

Make some MAC PLUGINS PLEASE PEOPLE OF THE WORLD!!!

:roll: :D

stevedood
takin' a dinner break

Post by stevedood » Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:41 pm

ashcat_lt wrote:I haven't yet gotten it to work, but SuperEel is supposed to do it.
I just tried Super Eel out and it works really well. Thanks for recommending this plugin.

-Steve

T-rex
dead but not forgotten

Post by T-rex » Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:45 pm

joel hamilton wrote:
That looks cool! Too bad there are so many cool plugs for FU%#^&# windows ONLY!!!

Im not bitter. ;)

Make some MAC PLUGINS PLEASE PEOPLE OF THE WORLD!!!

:roll: :D
Cry me a river! You get me the Lowender for PC and I will get you some monoployphonic spree to midi plug in for Mac! :lol: :lol:
[Asked whether his shades are prescription or just to look cool]
Guy: Well, I am the drummer.

John Jeffers
buyin' a studio

Post by John Jeffers » Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:21 pm

T-rex wrote:Cry me a river! You get me the Lowender for PC and I will get you some monoployphonic spree to midi plug in for Mac! :lol: :lol:
From the Lowender web page:

We are planning to port Lowender to Windows. Please send us a note if you'd like to be notified when Lowender is ready for Windows.

ashcat_lt
tinnitus

Post by ashcat_lt » Sun Jun 22, 2008 8:07 pm

stevedood wrote:I just tried Super Eel out and it works really well. Thanks for recommending this plugin.

-Steve
Glad I could help, and great to hear that it works well. Maybe one day I'll actually take the time to figure it out and use it.

Seamonster
takin' a dinner break

Post by Seamonster » Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:08 am

stevedood wrote:
superaction80 wrote: I got off the boat when they dropped SX3. But, up to that point, it wasn't possible in Cubase.
This is how I'm doing it currently and it's working OK although it's mildly tedious and it would be cool to automate some of it since I have quite a few files to chart.
Steve,
It will be mildly tedious to do pitch-to-midi conversions no matter what app or plug-in you use. You'll likely spend more time correcting glitches, etc. than you would if you just played it in with a controller. No existing algorithm can read your mind better or faster than you yourself can.

That said, if you happen to have DP version 4 or later (I realize you're working in Cubase), one under-appreciated function of DP is its pitch-correction function, which includes conversion to MIDI. DP's process is probably less streamlined than Melodyne (which I haven't used), but it's no more tedious than Autotune in manual mode. (Not saying much, I know.)

Hoagie Hill
www.seamonstersounds.com
"May my silences become more accurate." -Theodore Roethke, poet