Long time PT user goes Logic!

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

cfMC
pushin' record

Post by cfMC » Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:15 pm

well for me personally, it's kind of been like just fuck all of it since my first generation Mbox rig died, which is a shame. I recorded on 4 tracks forever, until I finally decided it wasn't worth the return on investment. the only reason I started to record again was because it finally became reasonably possible to do so with a computer. and now that I'm back in the swing of it, here we go with all these ridiculous OS type issues, fuckin it all up again.

If you are using an older OS setup and your recording gear works for you, count your blessings and pray that when your rig eventually dies, it does so at a time in the overall industry that you are able to replace it with the next generation without all of this bullshit.

For myself I guess I plan to stay out of it until I can go to all the messageboards and see that either Logic or Pro Tools is finally working and working right with my particular gear and not giving most users a ton of grief in their "unpaid beta tester" roles.

tateeskew
steve albini likes it

Post by tateeskew » Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:23 pm

i am monster face wrote:
mobtownstudios wrote:...Apple...
I can't stand proprietary BS.
Hmmmm...
i was thinking the same thing, ian.

Jay Reynolds
carpal tunnel

Post by Jay Reynolds » Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:07 pm

formzero wrote:
i am monster face wrote:
Hmmmm...
I guess you could apply the same argument to MOTU, right? And Cakewalk. And Image Line. And McDSP. And Bomb Factory.
Prog out with your cog out.

Jay Reynolds
carpal tunnel

Post by Jay Reynolds » Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:10 pm

E-Rock wrote:What version of Logic and what OS are you guys using?
Logic 8.0.1
OXS 10.4.11
PPC G5 dual 1.8
3xUAD1
Waves
NI
impOSCar
VStation
Drumagog
Live 5
Reason 4
MOTU 828 mkII
Mackie Control Universal
iBook g4
My setup is solid. I crash it once a month when I'm working way too fast (adding plugins during playback and hitting stop before the instance is open, etc.) And even then, Logic makes that crash file. Which is sweet.
Last edited by Jay Reynolds on Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

junomat
re-cappin' neve

Post by junomat » Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:11 pm

formzero wrote:
i am monster face wrote:
Hmmmm...
i think we should just ignore it.

rwc
resurrected

Post by rwc » Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:40 pm

superaction80 wrote:And even then, Logic makes that crash file. Which is sweet.
<opinionated>this is why logic is the best DAW on the planet.

Shit will crash. It is a fact of life, on computers. The way it handles crashing, is what makes Logic a classy program, and nuendo/reaper/cubase $%^&*( that only crashes once every six months when I'm in the middle of something truly genius, that I won't remember how to recreate.</opinionated>

That has saved my ass several times. Where nuendo has left me chasing my tail for hours trying to get my five-minute-mix back.

Again, it only crashes when I'm doing something that will revolutionize the song I am working on. never after I save or something..

<3 logic.
Real friends stab you in the front.

Oscar Wilde

Failed audio engineer & pro studio tech turned Component level motherboard repair store in New York

Jay Reynolds
carpal tunnel

Post by Jay Reynolds » Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:04 pm

????? wrote:
Again, it only crashes when I'm doing something that will revolutionize the song I am working on. never after I save or something..
That's right when it gets me. I'm in the moment, all right brain and not thinking about how if I drag and drop that instance of Space Designer into a bus (all during playback) that things aren't going to go well.

jeddypoo
re-cappin' neve

k

Post by jeddypoo » Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:49 pm

Logic 8 Studio is a ridiculously great app.

The learning curve is high, because it's an incredibly deep program. It makes PT look like a walkman with a "record" button.

It's the best all-around DAW there is. Eventually, everyone will come around to that opinion.
I find adherence to fantasy troubling and unreasonable.

megajoe
gettin' sounds

Post by megajoe » Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:55 am

I use Logic Pro 7, and have been doing so for about 3 years. I have a Novation ReMote that I use with it that makes life awesome. I've been reluctant to switch to 8 because the last time I checked I couldn't confirm that there is an OS update for my Novation that makes the automap compatible.

While I think Logic is totally superior to PT for music creation, if I'm just tracking or mixing, I'd rather work in PT.

I use Logic on a laptop and I find the dongle kind of annoying. About the dongle, it's actually a processor that constantly communicates with Logic. If you unplug while Logic is open, it stops running in about 1 second. I've never heard of anyone cracking it (It would be a very large waste of time). If you try to open up the dongle, the board will break. Some hardcore copyright protection.

But not anymore!

Montevideo
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by Montevideo » Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:28 am

cfMC wrote:If you are using an older OS setup and your recording gear works for you, count your blessings and pray that when your rig eventually dies, it does so at a time in the overall industry that you are able to replace it with the next generation without all of this bullshit.
I think this basically defines the most practical and sane approach to using and maintaining DAWs.

Wise statement.

dgrieser
steve albini likes it

Post by dgrieser » Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:32 pm

So I went to the Apple Store in Albuquerque to get a look at Logic Saturday. Every machine in there had Leopard 10.5.2 and the 8.0 version of Logic. What is up with that? As soon as you loaded Logic, it froze on every machine I tried it on. A sales guy finally got it running on a Mac Pro but he didn't know enough to show me anything much about it. Seeing as how there's no demo version to download and try out, how do they expect to sell it?

I'm really curious about what systems/machines it will really run on. I've got a MacBook Pro 2.16 ghz, 2 gigs ram and OS 10.4.11. Anybody have any success running it with this setup?

It'd be great if people using it successfully would post what systems/machines they're using so it's not a $500 shot in the dark if it will run or not. The Apple Store wasn't very helpful in that area either.

allbaldo
pushin' record

Post by allbaldo » Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:17 am

I'm a PT user, and I've messed around quite a bit with Logic 7, which I find REALLY complicated. It seems to make things harder than they need to be... especially in the project/session setup part of the program. It's a really cool program as far as instruments and creation go, but man it's hard to figure out.

Does anyone have opinions of 8's complexity over 7's? I'd like to have both Logic and PT at some point, so I could take advantage of the instruments and easy creative nature of the program, but I want to be able to understand the damn thing. PT is so easy in the setup and operation department, but I.. like so many others... hate being tied to their hardware.

Jay Reynolds
carpal tunnel

Post by Jay Reynolds » Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:53 am

That was my biggest problem with 7. Adding extra tracks was a little complex. In 8, its a piece of cake. And they've ditched the big default song in favor of an empty project. But, its very easy to set up template projects.
About the only thing that still bogs down for me is audio editing. I'd like to be less tethered to the sample editor, and I'd like to be able to see the waveforms when I move regions.

Piotr
tinnitus

Post by Piotr » Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:56 pm

I got to see E-Rock's setup, and even though he has some killer outboard SHIT, I was mightily impressed with the platform.

Everything I would ever want in any software seems to be easily available. I can't wait until my work buys me a laptop, cause I am gonna rock that mother...
Yours,

Piotr

piotr@thebarkmarket.com

----------------------
Id quod visum plocet

Thomas Aquinas

DrummerMan
george martin

Post by DrummerMan » Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:10 pm

I switched to Logic 8 from DP5 about 6 months ago. The ONLY thing I miss about DP is how crazily easy it was to edit audio tracks. Moving them around, combining them, crossfades, strecthing, etc... I felt like a damn miracle worker with how fast I was able to comp tracks and "fix" shit. Logic's still new to me, so I'm hoping with more investigation and time I'll get a better flow going. Other than that, I couldn't be happier.

The best version of DP I'd had was the first one I got: DP3 running on OS9 in a G4 quicksilver tower, and the original 828 (which I'm still using, though I'm afraid it's nearing the end of it's life). Once I started "upgrading", things just got slower and worser....

...until I got Logic 8. I'm running it on a G5 tower with a dual core 1.5 GHz processor, and I'm still running Tiger. I don't think this is what people consider to be the ideal combination, but it's what I've got and it's working pretty well, though sometimes, it seems like Logic picks one random song and decides that THAT song is going to overload my CPU, bug out, and crash. This song is, by no means, necessarily the one with the most tracks or plugins, or the usual things I look for to lighten the load. I still haven't been able to figure out Logic's logic in these situations. Hmmm.....
Geoff Mann
composer | drummer | Los Angeles, CA