Black Sabbath

Feedback on the current issue, ideas for articles, questions about Tape Op

Moderators: TapeOpJohn, TapeOpLarry

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:14 pm

the other night i was coming back home from getting some Vietnamese takeaway and 'Sweet Leaf' came on the radio.

so i was late getting back with the food.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

centurymantra
buyin' a studio

Post by centurymantra » Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:05 am

idealfreedistribution wrote:They're really stupid if you just listen to the leerics by themselves, but rock and roll ain't about a lyric sheet. It's the whole sound that counts, and the first two records sound awesome.
Craig
So true. I've never really been into "metal" (although I don't really consider Black Sabbath metal in a way...maybe more 'hard rock' or just plain *shudders to be uttering the term* "Classic Rock") but have always had a soft spot for the early Sabbath records. The lyrics are definately kind of lame, even laughable, esp. if there really was no irony intended. But hey, it was 1970. The lyrics to Iron Man are so lame they are actually awesome but, that being said, I simply can't cut them any slack for 'Fairies Wear Boots'. I, mean, c'mon guys...seriously.

The sleeper on the Paranoid record for me is the instrumental 'Planet Caravan' (awesome song title).

Bryan
Shoeshine Recording Studio
"Pop music is sterile, country music is sterile. That's one of the reasons I keep going back to baseball" - Doug Sahm

Evilspidey
audio school

Post by Evilspidey » Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:51 am

"Rodger Bain’s production captures every member of Sabbath’s alarmingly confident musical reflexes with both depth and clarity and displays them as the well-toned, ultra-honed yet raw quartet with unlimited power to last into the next world and beyond that they were. - Julian Cope"

"Jim Simpson upped the ante by getting the band and producer Gus Dudgeon, an ex-member of TEA & SYMPHONY, into the eight track Trident Studios in Soho to record their first demo on the 22nd August 1969. Engineer Rodger Bain would take over the sessions, featuring the tracks 'Song For Jim' and ‘The Rebel’, featuring LOCOMOTIVE keyboard player Norman Haines, duly became BLACK SABBATH's first recordings
According to popular legend BLACK SABBATH recorded their first Rodger Bain produced album for a miserly ?600 on a four track machine. (Interesting to note as an aside that the engineer for the first two albums was none other than ‘Colonel’ Tom Allom, himself later to find fame as a producer for JUDAS PRIEST). - Garry sharpe-young"

"Black Sabbath's first album was recorded at Regent Sound in London. It took only two days to record and another two days to mix. The entire album, including the cover photograph of a green witch in a psychedelic purple field, cost around ?600 pounds, about $1,200. Allom, who engineered the album, recalls that it was very easy to record. "They were very proficient in the studio. Everything was first takes." Black Sabbath played at nuclear volume in the studio, and the producer, Rodger Bain, went crazy. "You can't turn it up that loud in the studio!" he screamed. "You won't be able to hear anything else; you won't be able to hear the drums!" He tried to get them to play at a lower volume, promising he'd turn up the mixes later, but the band wasn't interested. "We don't turn down, man, we turn up," they replied. - David Konow"

- spidey

myonix
audio school

Post by myonix » Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:12 pm

i recently became immersed in sabbath bloody sabbath...side a is fucking great! even fluff

Snarky
takin' a dinner break

Post by Snarky » Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:35 pm

heh..heh....Black Sabbath is my favoritist band ever. BLACK FUCKING SABBATH!!! It's why I play, record, and write music. I used to not like the Dio Sabbath, but then that all changed one day when I gave it a good honest listen. He has a great metal elf voice. I wish I could have been a fly on the wall at those sessions.
www.myspace.com/capitalcitystudjoe

"this rizz in the foldback is bollocks mate."

mwerden
suffering 'studio suck'

just listen to the crowd

Post by mwerden » Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:53 pm

http://youtube.com/watch?v=uRhZISswW_k

Where do I get a "Listen to Black Sabbath" T shirt around here?
Instagram: @spaceacres
www.acres.space
www.mattwerden.com

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:50 am

fossiltooth wrote:
A-Barr wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtqy4DTHGqg

I think the reason Paranoid was so great is that it's nice and stripped down. Just awesome arrangements, great playing, great, great guitar sounds, man that looks like such a blast for those guys.

The solo at 6:16 in that video is just one of my favorite rock n roll moments.
Great link.

They're so good it's depressing.

I can't believe those motherf*ckers are all 22 years old when this was filmed, and can play that f*ing good. I just want to walk around my apartment beating my head against things and dropping f* bombs all over the place.

We should all be ashamed of ourselves.

F*ing musicians and sh*t. Do they still make those anymore?

I'll take one vintage 1970 Bill Ward please. Will you give me a discount if I buy the matching Geezer Butler model too? Sold!
From the Article on mixmag:

"The biggest chunk of time was spent in the rehearsing and routining stage," explains Bain, "the object being that when you go in to record you're not sort of experimenting in the studio. What you're doing when you go into the studio is transferring it into a recorded version."

Maybe because they don't REHEARSE

enough?
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:39 am

They loom larger and larger as time goes on.

They prove that it takes more than compressors to be heavy- you have to play heavy.

emrr
buyin' a studio

Post by emrr » Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:47 pm

damnit. you just made me watch every single Paris '70 clip again. for the 100th time. Such swagger and swing. Why don't the kids know how to swing these days?
Doug Williams
ElectroMagnetic Radiation Recorders
Tape Op issue 73

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:45 pm

emrr wrote:damnit. you just made me watch every single Paris '70 clip again. for the 100th time. Such swagger and swing. Why don't the kids know how to swing these days?
they're too busy puking up their meals and pouting for imaginary cameras.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

Corey Y
re-cappin' neve

Post by Corey Y » Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:00 pm

One of my all time favorite bands, if not my absolute favorite. In my mind Black Sabbath were always one of those bands that were great despite the recording, not really because of it. They were obviously a tight live band and just transfered that to tape in a bare bones, efficient way. As has been stated by dozens of quotes already. So funny that even then they're talking about how rare it is to record live and turn up loud. Now it's practically unheard of, although there are some devotees to the whole Albini "record, not produce" thing. It's not a technique that guarantees quality, but If you have a kick ass band like Black Sabbath the material shines through.

One more reason to practice your ass off until you can play your songs blindfolded before you even think of stepping into a studio.

lysander
pushin' record

Post by lysander » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:17 pm

emrr wrote:damnit. you just made me watch every single Paris '70 clip again. for the 100th time. Such swagger and swing. Why don't the kids know how to swing these days?
+1!

Swing is where the rock comes from, especially if you want to get heavy.

Everybody has to play to a click nowadays in order to keep their options open, so nothing's at stake in the performance. And it shows.