Acoustic foam idea...

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Holy Wolf
gettin' sounds

Acoustic foam idea...

Post by Holy Wolf » Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:04 pm

Ok so I have a whole bunch of acoustic foam. I rent a house so glue or anything to the walls a lot is out of the question. I was thinking of gluing them on plywood and then setting the plywood up on the walls? Any opinions?

sfsonarboy
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by sfsonarboy » Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:14 pm

I picked up some pegboard, glued the foam to the pegboard, and then hang the pegboard from molding hooks with clear picture-hanging "wire". Working well so far (only did this a wk ago), and easy to adjust the "liveness" of the room by how many of 'em I have hanging. For the ceiling, I just used some of the Auralex Foamtak spraying lightly on the foam side only, and am hopeful it won't be too much of a mess come moving day (or fall off in a few days :-).

Steve E.

mattwhritenour
pushin' record

Post by mattwhritenour » Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:04 pm

sfsonarboy wrote:I picked up some pegboard, glued the foam to the pegboard,
That's a great Idea, that is now probably what I will be doing, and I believe when I saw pegboard it was really cheap.

RedCrownStudios
pushin' record

Post by RedCrownStudios » Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:30 pm

I found some cheap canvas's on sale at a hobby shop that worked really well. Im not sure how much peg board is but this might be a cheaper option
Marshall Baker
Media Designer
Tulsa, Ok
www.MarshallBaker.com
www.MarshallandRoxy.com

rhythm ranch
mixes from purgatory

Post by rhythm ranch » Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:07 pm

mattwhritenour wrote:
sfsonarboy wrote:I picked up some pegboard, glued the foam to the pegboard,
That's a great Idea, that is now probably what I will be doing, and I believe when I saw pegboard it was really cheap.
Home Depot and Lowe's also carry a lattice trellis that would be much lighter and would allow sound waves to enter the foam from behind if you hung it a few inches off the wall. you could glue or staple the foam to the the lattice. Of course rigid fiber glass would be better, but you've already got the foam so what the heck.

mattwhritenour
pushin' record

Post by mattwhritenour » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:05 pm

rhythm ranch wrote: Of course rigid fiber glass would be better, but you've already got the foam so what the heck.
I already have that for 3 - 2x4 (2 layers of 2") bass traps that I made for the corners, but I think I'll need a couple squares of foam for the walls for the high end. My drum booth is almost done, i'm in the spackling stage, so I just stood the bass traps up where they are going and already they make a huge difference. of course I am going to get drums setup in there before I decide on any foam purchases to see what I"m dealing with.

Holy Wolf
gettin' sounds

Post by Holy Wolf » Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:52 am

sfsonarboy wrote:I picked up some pegboard, glued the foam to the pegboard, and then hang the pegboard from molding hooks with clear picture-hanging "wire". Working well so far (only did this a wk ago), and easy to adjust the "liveness" of the room by how many of 'em I have hanging. For the ceiling, I just used some of the Auralex Foamtak spraying lightly on the foam side only, and am hopeful it won't be too much of a mess come moving day (or fall off in a few days :-).

Steve E.
man thats a great idea. so is the lattice!!! wonderful!!much lighter than plywood.

so what about bass traps? and what about the foam spray for the lid? you dont think that will pull the paint or leave some residue?

mattwhritenour
pushin' record

Post by mattwhritenour » Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:35 am

Holy Wolf wrote: so what about bass traps? and what about the foam spray for the lid? you dont think that will pull the paint or leave some residue?
Well I knew I would need some bass traps, after doing lots of reading, and you can buy them pre-made for about $200 each. Or you can make them yourself for about 40-45$ each. I think i've seen a couple posts on these forums where people made there own, but you should definitely check out www.johnlsayers.com forums and look under the Acoustic section, lots of great information.

Ethan Winer
suffering 'studio suck'

Re: Acoustic foam idea...

Post by Ethan Winer » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:49 am

Holy Wolf wrote:I was thinking of gluing them on plywood and then setting the plywood up on the walls? Any opinions?
Cardboard is better, lighter, and cheaper.

--Ethan

rhythm ranch
mixes from purgatory

Post by rhythm ranch » Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:23 pm

Ethan Winer wrote:Cardboard is better, lighter, and cheaper.
Agreed, but not as rigid as the lattice, nor is it "open" allowing sound into the back as well.

mattwhritenour
pushin' record

Post by mattwhritenour » Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:38 pm

i wouldn't question Ethan, lol

rhythm ranch
mixes from purgatory

Post by rhythm ranch » Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:01 pm

mattwhritenour wrote:i wouldn't question Ethan, lol
Ethan is a great resource and I have the utmost respect for him. I was honored to meet him at a TapeOpCon a few years ago. We've communicated via email a few times. I wasn't questioning him, in fact, I agreed with him. I was pointing out why I have a different opinion.

Holy Wolf
gettin' sounds

Post by Holy Wolf » Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:32 am

rhythm ranch wrote:
Ethan is a great resource and I have the utmost respect for him. I was honored to meet him at a TapeOpCon a few years ago. We've communicated via email a few times. I wasn't questioning him, in fact, I agreed with him. I was pointing out why I have a different opinion.

lattice or cardboard? hmmmmmm
or both?

Ethan Winer
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Ethan Winer » Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:10 am

rhythm ranch wrote:nor is it "open" allowing sound into the back as well.
Yes, but for flat on the wall it doesn't matter. With a space of at least a few inches the lattice is better for the reason given.

--Ethan

mattwhritenour
pushin' record

Post by mattwhritenour » Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:32 am

rhythm ranch wrote:
sorry i guess that came out wrong, i was just kidding around